Brookstone / scam product!

United States Review updated:

Brookstone recently introduced the "Sona Pillow" which is alleged to relieve the symptoms of snoring and sleep apnea. The general response to this product has been decidedly negative as documented below from the complaints posted around various consumer complaint and review sites on the Net. As well, Brookstone refuses to refund or allow returns on this product.

I purchased this pillow from the Brookstone Store in the Roosevelt Field Shopping Center in Garden City, NY. When I attempted to return it the next day, I was informed about the no-return policy on this item. Since it was unusable to me and because I was so disgusted I left it with the store manager and walked out. Though they refused to refund my money, since it was still in new condition, it was most likely placed back on display where it would be sold to another unsuspecting customer.

A  30th of Nov, 2007 by
I have had the same issues trying to return the Sona pillow. What's worse is that I had even *asked* the salesperson before purchasing what would happen if it didn't help the snoring and was told I could return it for a full refund. (Not the sort of item I'd have purchased with a refund policy confirmed)

Calls to the store manager and email to the district manager have been ignored. I've emailed Customer Service and written to the Exec VP of Store Ops (and, from the response so far, assume that will be ignored as well).

The best part is that on their website, their Corporate Code of Ethics states that the Company's fundamental and core values include "honest and ethical conduct, including the ethical handling of actual or apparent conflicts of interest between personal and professional relationships, and ethical dealings with customers, suppliers, co-venturers, competitors, shareholders and the community." HA!

Fortunately there are other places to spend our money that are more responsive to consumer needs.
A  30th of Jan, 2008 by
I am in the midst of my own dispute with Brookstone. I purchased a Christmas gift for my husband. It doesn't work. Since it was a gift and was purchased early in order to have it by Christmas, it is beyond the 30 day period. Not a problem. I purchased the 2 year replacement guarantee. I contacted customer service and was told I had to deal with the manufacturer of the product because their warranty is for 90 days. The manufacturer informed me that I have to pay shipping to them and include another $20 check to have the item returned to me. I called Brookstone customer service to get them to exchange the product without additional cost to me and the customer service representative hung up on me. I called the corporate office and left a message for a return call and I've sent two emails to customer service. I don't see any point in calling again if the representatives are trained to hang up on people, and I was not rude, offensive or disrespectful. The item in question is only one of several that I purchased for the holidays. I spent close to $1000 this year alone. I have not heard from anyone and have turned the matter over to the Better Business Bureau.

Bottom line is, as long as the product functions as advertised you won't have a problem. If you need to return the item, good luck. Just a hint; the majority of the items sold are made by some other company. If you find something you like at Brookstone, go to the manufacturers site and buy direct. You'll save yourself a lot of money and aggravation.

Brookstone Logo Brookstone