Bosch / dishwasher started on fire

Our 4-5 year old Bosch dishwasher caught on fire. Two smoke alarms started chirping about the same time. Going into the kitchen I found foot high flames coming from the selector buttons. I put the fire out myself and other than the dishwasher having a hole the size of a baseball burnt in the door, the counter had a little charring on its underside. If we'd not been home, the house would have burned down. Thank God, we had smoke alarms that alerted us to the problem. Who'd of thought a dishwasher catching on fire? Be careful when you run these things.

Va

Comments

• Ji
      22nd of Jan, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me. Good thing I was close by. At the time Bosch told me the machine was out of warranty and to have someone fix it (at my expense). How do you fix a melted machine that reeks of smoke? What recourse do the 60 or so people with fires have, a class action suit? Should we at least get a total refund for the machine.

• Kr
      4th of Apr, 2009

I had the exact experience! Luckily my insurance company paid for the damage, and THEY are going after Bosch. Just 4 days after our fire, Bosch issued a recall. Seems there have been 51 "incidents" and 30 fires! The only thing insurance did not cover was the dishwasher, so I went to Bosch for reimbursement. HA! Their offer? They would be happy to TAKE $350 from me for another dishwasher. Their choice of model. Which isn't made in my color. I declined. Now I'm not sure I would even take one for free!

Bad company. Spread the word!