Bodum Usa / Beware

United States Review updated:

Bodum's slogan: "Make taste, not waste" is the most false advertisement I've ever seen in my life. We have purchased Bodum's coffee press twice and twice we have purchased beaker replacements. In total, that's four glass beakers and two metal parts systems in the trash. That seems like waste to me. After wondering what the problem was with the glass beakers I went online to research and that is where I saw countless unhappy reviews of how just about every Bodum glass product breaks, no matter how careful you use them. Bodum does not publish on it's site the type of material it uses to make these products with, but the consumer rating sites say they use a weak silicate glass. I wrote Bodum in December telling them of my findings and asking them if this is intentional profiteering, but I never received an answer. With a Bodum product you are not making taste but you are totally making a ton of waste AND wasting a ton of your money on their part replacements. I wish I had known all this before wasting close to $100 on their products. The glass breaking issue is such a common issue that even Bodum's website has a FAQ page about how they will not replace any of their broken glass products. So here is my complaint -

1. Bodum initiates false advertisement with their slogan, "Make taste, not waste" because their products consistently break. Where do they honestly think all that broken glass and metal end up?

2. Bodum is clearly aware of the breakage because they host a FAQ page about not replacing their broken glass products.

3. Bodum depends on ripping it's consumers off. They publish worthless product details in their catalogs and online and hide the type of material they use to make their shoddy products with. The material is most likely an intentionally weak glass that is well known for it's excessive fragility but Bodum does not inform it's customers of this.

Overall - Bodum makes it's product to break, Bodum creates excessive landfill, Bodum lies and says it does not in it's own slogan, Bodum contradicts it's own slogan by showing they are aware of the frequency of product breakage by hosting a FAQ page on glass breakage, Bodum does not inform it's customers of what it is they are purchasing in a full disclosure of product details, and Bodum is difficult to contact on these issues. That is all.

Br

Comments

• Pb
      6th of Feb, 2010

I have used Bodum's products for over 30 years and are continuously impressed by their good quality and design compared to most other similar products on the market.

It sounds like you have been unlucky or you do not take proper care of your things. Bodum is a great Brand and the allegations you are trying to make are pretty ridiculous!

• Zu
      11th of May, 2010

I have to agree here, I have some of their large 20+ oz tumbler glasses (insulated) and would expect them to perform like any other glass in which you serve a beverage. On the second use of them the ice in the glass managed to shatter the inner glass causing me to almost drink a large piece of glass before I noticed. I would never recommend Bodum to a friend. While the designs are very fancy and unique, that's worthless if you can't use it for what it's designed to be.

• Le
      18th of Aug, 2012

Had the same breakage happen to me with a lasagna dish I bought 1 year ago.

• Wh
      5th of Jul, 2018

We had the same glass breakage on a Bodum French press coffee maker. It is a way-to-fragile piece of junk. This particular model's handle was attached to a 4 band cradle system that was sloppily loose. The glass beaker easily falls out. An accident waiting to happen. This is the first and last Bodum product for me.

• Ta
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Bodum - Bistro Blender
    Netherlands

Hi,
    The base of my blender is sticky and no matter what I do to clean it, nothing seems to work. I am disturbed by this and would like to find a way to remedy the situation.
    The blender itself works fine but I am not happy about this sticky base.
    Please give me some idea what I can do.
    Sincerely,