Blair.com / $14.95 unsolicited charge

United States, Iowa Review updated:
I signed up for Blair Rewards under the impression it was a promotion offering discounts to regular, loyal customers. Instead I find a charge to me for "Blair Rewards" along with a membership card on the back of a magazine. And now, apparently from "out of the blue" I find a charge of $14.95. For what??. Someone seems to be taking advantage of some persons' naivte or gullibility.

N  29th of Nov, 2008 by
I closed my account in March 2008 when they turned me down for cli. It took me three months to get them to put it on my credit report. I had to call and dispute it.
Now I have gotten two letters from them about the reason for not getting the cli. The first letter was dated 10/16/2008 The latest letter is dated 11/14/08. They keep referring to my credit as bad. How could I ask for cli when my account has been closed since March? I do believe Blair needs a different bank.
They keep referring to my REQUEST and my poor performance with them. It's been since March. HELLO!!!
A  3rd of Mar, 2009 by
The same thing happened to me. I don't know how, but I was enrolled in something called "Blair Rewards." Today I called Encore Marketing at 1-888-287-7683, the company that runs this scam and spoke to someone named Diane. She was very friendly and helpful and honored my request to be disenrolled from Blair Rewards and also said she would refund all charges. This will teach me to check my credit card more often! Diane told me that I have been enrolled in this thing since September of 2008! I don't see the refund yet, but I just called today so will give it some time to post. I could not get Blair on the phone (due to their message that they have an unusually hight volume of calls), but I did e-mail their customer service center about this as well las night and they responded to the e-mail today. Here is what they said:

Dear Ms. Monroe

Thank you for contacting us.

By signing and returning the acceptance card for the free item offered, you enrolled in a continuous marketing program. This authorized us to send periodic shipments of merchandise to you and bill your Blair Credit Card account. If you did not return the customer service card that accompanied the free item asking us to cancel you from the program, the merchandise continues to be sent every one to two months.

If you would like to removed from the program, please let us know.

We apologize for any misunderstanding.

Elizabeth C.

Blair Customer Service

The strange thing is that I never received any free item with or without a customer service card, so had no chance to tell them I wanted to disenroll. I do not recall signing an acceptance card either, but I do remember taking a survey on the Blair site that offered some amount off toward my next purchase and turned out to be horrendously long, and I think Blair Rewards might be tied in with that somehow. My lesson from this is to never, never, do online surveys!!!
A  3rd of Jan, 2010 by
I got ripped off too.

Thanks for the details about Encore Marketing.
I shall try to get them to refund my charges.

Plus I am mailing consumerist.com, a consumer watchdog website, about all that had happened.

I hope they will be able to help me get my money back.
A  6th of Mar, 2010 by
Well, I've learned my lesson! I don't check my credit card charges very well, but I have found charges of $14.95/month for about 9 months for their "Rewards Program." I have ordered a few things for my Mother and have never signed anything or gotten anything free from them. I tried to call their customer service number and they gave me the same # as the writer above but got a recording since they were closed. I will try next week. What a rip off! I can't believe they are still getting away with doing this to their customers. I surely won't be buying anything else from them.
N  23rd of Sep, 2015 by
I have same issue as others, $14.95 charge, called 3 times and they removed it. That was my only balance and when I didn't pay it the Comminity Bank rep. called me and said I was 2 months late with my payment. I argued with her on the phone and she demanded my bank acct. info. to get a payment that minute, I refused. I paid it the next day to avoid any issue until it was resolved, but they turned it over to the credit bureau. I wrote a letter as well as called & still no resolution after 2 weeks. This is a scam and bad for Blair. I canceled my acct. (15 years) & still no response.

Blair.com Logo Blair.com