Bits And Pieces Uk / No customer service, missing goods, poor quality goods

1 Driffield, England, Yorkshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

Company sends out catalogues to order saying 7-14 days delivery. Small print says 28 days. I placed two orders - waited over a month for one and 42 days for the other, which never arrived. The 'courier' was one man in his own saloon car piled high with badly wrapped parcels - no boxes, just plastic wrapping. Products well photographed, very poor quality in reality. To try to get through to customer services is nearly impossible - spending 10p a minute it soon adds up. Never any response to emails. Eventually, we are now 10 days before Christmas, they say are going to cancel the order (hopefully) and refund my money. So, I am off to shop for replacement presents. I only managed to get through using the sales line - they acted like they were doing me a huge favour by contacting their own 'customer services' for me. TERRIBLE! DO NOT USE THIS DREADFUL BUSINESS.

Comments

• Di
      14th of Dec, 2011

Me too! I placed two orders - they say 7-14 days but then it's 28 in the small print. One order arrived eventually, very poor quality products, the other order never did (42 days and counting). They say the courier lost the other parcel. The courier was a man in his own saloon car not a courier company!! I have spent a lot trying to get through to customer services - impossible and they have never responded to my emails. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! Hoping they do refund me for the parcel - obviously not for the phone calls - an annoying scam - spread the word.

• Mr
      19th of Dec, 2011

I absolutely agree with the above 2 comments. My original order was made 28/10/11. Checked on 2/12/11, noone had heard of me or my order. Placed another order and was guaranteed delivery by 16/12/11 - ha ha. Have spent goodness knows how much money trying to get through to customer services, can only assume there are many many people trying to complain about their order. This is simply not good enough, especially as I have had to give my credit card details twice now. Shall never bother to contact or order from this company again and I shall warn anyone I possibly can not to use them either. I also do not wish you a happy christmas as you are obviously only in the business of trying to ruin other peoples christmases.

• Re
      21st of Dec, 2011

Like everyone before me, they are just awful, incompetent and are ripping us off with their phone charges, They took my money on 1st December, they told me on Saturday 1oth they would be dispatched on the Monday, I challenged her over whether is wa actually true. It wasnt, because when I rang on 17th I was told they would be packed over the weekend and dispatched by Tuesday, they are telling their staff to lie.. I have contacted Consumer Direct, they have checked with Companies House to see if they are still trading. They are but are dilatory in filing their accounts. I have sent the details to Yorkshire Post in the hope that they may follow up
    To add insult to injury, I cannot sign into their Website, it says it has no knowledge of me! But Customer Services has. Should we join together and take them to court. Trading Standards do not seem interested

• Re
      24th of Dec, 2011

My original order was placed mid - October and apart from a letter sent on the 13th November explaining that delivery would be delayed due to the unavailabililty of one item on my order. I heard nothing and in common with previous customers the company failed to respond to my emails and my attempts to contact Customer Services proved both fruitless and expensive. However long after the supposed maximum delivery window of 28 days, the goods finally arrived this week. One was of perfectly merchantable quality but the other, the most expensive item the company sells at present, was a little worse for wear having traveled from China, possibly via the USA. Some remedial work has recovered any damage and now the item is fit for purpose.
    So although Bits & Pieces trading practices, their customer communication in particular, leave something to be desired, the goods did finally arrive in time for the Festive Season.

29th of Dec, 2011

Very similar situation. I am still waiting for my item, ordered on 5th December. They happily took my money on the 9th. I also received no confirmation e-mail, which I found odd in this day and age. Have rung them twice, staff very polite but not particularly helpful. First advisor guaranteed delivery by Christmas (17th December), the second one I spoke to was unable to make that guarantee, (22nd of December) as of today 29th December I am still waiting, and feeling very annoyed. All they could say was that ' it is christmas you know '. Well I am sure it is also Christmas for every other supplier but somehow they managed to get my goods to me within 10 days of ordering at the very outside, some of these at no P & P cost. These suppliers clearly have some kind of magic transporter that Bits and Pieces uk do not possess, and these suppliers had the good grace not to take (i use this in the loosest sense of the word as it is paramount to stealing) my money before dispatching my goods. I wish I had checked customer reviews before ordering from these people. I will certainly never use them again.

• Gi
      7th of Jan, 2012

I placed an order 8th December 2011 which was classed as being received 9 December as order placed after 2 pm. I sent email 12 Dec asking about delivery and was told that orders placed before 16 Dec should be delivered before Christmas. On 19 Dec rang again & was told order would be despatched 21 Dec. I Rang them again 23 Dec & was told that order would not be delivered until new year - 'around the 6 Jan'.
    Arrived today 7th Jan & 1 item out of stock. Just got credit card statement debited 9 Jan & they have not charged for out of stock item - So why didn't they mention in any email or phone conversation that 1 item was missing? They knew the items were bought as Christmas presents!
    PHONE NUMBER. As you know, the 0871 number is charged at 10p per minute. Bits and Pieces is one of many companies that are operating from the same building.
    PHONE 01377 232330 which is main switchboard number of Kingstown Office Associates, .and ask for Customer Services, Bits and Pieces. The switchboard operator is not responsible for B&P, so do not have a go at her!
    Hope this helps.

• Ca
      3rd of Feb, 2012

I have had a similar experience with them and am now going to issue a County Court Claim in the Small Claims Court to try and get my money back. Unbelievable that they are continuing to trade!

• Rp
      7th of Feb, 2012

May I add my disappointment with this company to the above comments? My order was made and paid for on December 6, 2011, so it is now over two months that I have been waiting. Emails remain unanswered and the one time I felt rich enough to wait for someone to eventually answer the phone (in early January) I was told that there was " no problem" with the order and it had "gone through" and that I should get it " by the end of next week". I asked why it was taking so long for orders to be dispatched and got the "it is Christmas" response.
    This company has a shocking disregard for its customers. I am no legal expert but surely taking money from customers and not delivering goods is breaking some type of law? Can't we have the company on something?

• To
      21st of Nov, 2012

Order placed on internet, where 24 hour delivery promised for this item, 'required delivery date' facility completed for 2 days later. On given date, waited in all day for delivery, which didn't happen. No confirmation email has been received, money has been taken from credit card account. 3 complaining emails have been sent to them - no response. Telephone tried at 10p per minute, put on hold! Still awaiting delivery 10 days later.

Tony J.

• Ju
      23rd of Nov, 2012

I ordered a fold and go jigsaw table at the end of October for delivery direct to my mother who lives in a care home. Jigsaws are her only real form of entertainment and her old faithful table had collapsed so I asked for speedy delivery as the internet was showing 8 in stock. Very helpful lady said she would try to speed delivery up. I went on holiday two days later expecting my mother to receive the goods quickly and be able to get back to her hobby, only to return 12th November to find the item had been delivered to my Mum but was damaged and unusable. I immediately contacted customer services to request an exchange - had difficulty contacting them as although they have taken the monies for the goods from my debit card I have not received any official documentation or email receipt. When the order was traced they arranged a courier pick up - I was told 5 working days but when by yesterday they had still not collected the item I rang and was told that I should have been told 10 days for collection. Deadline for collection is today and as yet no one has turned up. I am not allowed to request the exchange until I am given a 'collections number' on pick up of the faulty goods. This is wholly unsatisfactory and in the meantime my poor demented mother has spent almost a month without being able to carry out what is the only form of entertainment left to her. I'm so frustrated. Customer services say they have re-requested courier collection so it could take another 10 days. I will not hold my breath!! I really hate this shoddy attitude towards honest customers.

• Su
      28th of Nov, 2012

I have just placed an order with this company two days ago, no confirmation of order email which comes up after you have placed your order, i am beginning to wish i had read all your reviews first, sent them an email today asking them to give me information about the status of my order, no reply yet, and as you say their charges 10p a minute that is a disgrace, do we report all this to trading standards.

1st of Dec, 2012

Ordered barometer from Daily Mail advert, no confirmation or reply to email. Contacted Daily Mail who contacted advertiser and goods delivered recorded post in two days. If you order from a newspaper advert You are covered by the SHOPS scheme(Google for details. Also had email from Bits & Pieces with email address Customer Service UK . Try this if you have problems.

• Hh
      12th of Dec, 2012

After all the bad press Bits and Pieces has had recently I thought I would give my comments re the above, I placed a order for a computer tray, a reading light and 2 storm Glass barometers, I have received my order today and everything is perfect, it was delivered in a safe place as I was out when delivered. It was well packaged and everything first class, after reading the articles and comments I was a little worried, but thankfully everything has turn out well, hope others are as pleased as myself.

• Ju
      13th of Dec, 2012

Further to my post of 23rd November - I am still waiting. The second requested courier collection, another 10 days on top of the first one, has been and gone and no collection of faulty goods. I rang customer services yet again on the 6th December to be told that they had just noticed a problem with my collection and had put things in hand on my behalf. Apparently the courier can't find the care home where the item is to be collected from and so they have sent them directions. This is the same courier who managed to deliver the package in the first place - Hermes - but seem incapable of finding their way back to it. I am not allowed to bring the package to my home as it must be collected from the delivery address. I was told this third requested collection would take up to 3 working days. That deadline passed Tuesday 11th December and no collection has occurred. I spoke to customer services again yesterday and they said they were chasing up Hermes and would be in touch with me by close of business today. I have told them that they are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act and that I intend to sue them if this is not dealt with. I have also emailed them on three occasions but have not had a response. I am being fobbed off in every phone call (which at 10p per minute has cost me a small fortune) and am now on the verge of asking for legal advice as to how to fix this. In the meantime, my mother has now forgotten how to do a jigsaw and shows no interest at all. Not surprising for someone with dementia and Alzheimer's - if something is withdrawn for long enough then the memory dies. I had hoped to keep her occupied with at least one last hobby but sadly this has failed. If anyone reading this has any advice I would be grateful to receive it!

19th of Dec, 2012

How I wish I had read these comments before placing my order! I ordered at the beginning of December, received no email confirmation or receipt, they took payment on the 10th, the site has no memory of me and nobody answers the phone! I have sent an email this morning threatening court action if I don't get my money back, presuming my order will never arrive. I just feel like an idiot for being taken in by what is obviously a rogue trader! I will have three very disappointed people come Christmas morning now as I haven't got the money to replace their gifts.

• Da
      21st of Dec, 2012

What shoddy service from this company. Usually I shop from Amazon and have no problems but I ordered 2 of the same item from BitandpiecesUK on 6th December thinking that they would be here in good time for Christmas as I noticed the site stated 'Standard Delivery'. When I rang them last week to check items had been dispatched, I was told 'We quote up to 28 days for dispatch' but delivery in 3-5 working days. Just the same as the others, I missed the small print. The first of the items arrived yesterday but the invoice stated 2 items. Rang them today and they have messed up by only sending one item. Order won't get to their warehouse now until tomorrow and they have no facility for urgent orders or special delivery (which I would have been willing to pay for). Now left minus one present which I will have to go out for tomorrow. WON'T USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN and will definitely check complaints pages of other non-Amazon orders. Dawn Forman-Marshall, Leeds, West Yorkshire

24th of Dec, 2012

I really wish I had read these comments earlier. It's now Christmas Eve and I have had to give up hope on a Christmas present arriving and have bought something else, which will be appreciated but not as much as the item I ordered. I telephoned at 9am today hoping to get my money refunded but no reply - just a message telling me that lines open at 8am Monday to Friday (interestingly the website says they are open 24 hours a day!). I am pleased that someone is going to small claims court as I am considering doing the same to claim not only the cost of my item but also the cost of phone calls, petrol to get to shops and cost of new item, if they don't refund within a week. They deducted the money from my account pretty sharpish but seem a bit tardy in repaying! I am just about to try their phone again but don't hold out much hope!

31st of Jan, 2013

Utterly dreadful outfit, who, surprisingly in this day and age, take the money as soon as they take the order - in our case some weeks before delivery. Customer service isn't even a consideration. As many people have already suggested the only course of action is to avoid them like the plague.

• Ro
      4th of Nov, 2013

Of the two items I ordered from Bits & Pieces - the Pyramid Clock does not work - and the Storm Glass Barometer arrived, padly packed and broken - with a "noxious" fluid soaked into the cardboard packaging & brochures/correspondence enclosed.
    I emailed Customer Services three days ago but have yet to receive an acknowledgement or reply. I will be using "Which? Legal Services" if I do not get my costs refunded - including postage (as this is a requirement of The "Distance Selling Regulations UK 2000").

• 2w
      12th of Nov, 2013

I ordered a jigsaw and storm glass barometer. The wrong size jigsaw puzzle arrived - not sure if this was my fault, but was happy to send back to replace with the correct size. Tried the phone but left on hold, and will not sit there while the money mounts up. I have emailed 3 times now and still no response. Do not understand why it is so difficult to reply to an email within a week! Terrible, terrible service. Would recommend anyone to steer clear of this company. What annoys me, is that their catalogue was in a People's Friend which the elderly population read, imagine the stress they would have to go through to put a problem right. If you got your order without a problem and not had to contact Customer Services, lucky you... you are sure to be in the minority.