Birch Telecom / Fraudulent sales practices

I bought Birch service because the salesman promised em that I could disconnect if I didn't like it. It turns out that the taxes were not included in the sales price as promised, so I fired 'em and went back to AT&T. They are trying to collect a $400 disconnection fee -- I guess this is styled to make me want their service again?

Be careful with these guys -- full disclosure is not one of their strong points. The collection agency is getting fairly aggressive as of today, so I am trying another direction to get my disagreement with Birch settled.

Va

Comments

• Da
      29th of May, 2008

Absolutely right on the head. I was contacted by Birch and they presented a billing proposal as if they were a billing agent for AT&T and also told me that I could switch back within the 1st 2 months without penalty and the 1st billing was higher than the quote. I am sending a certified letter today canceling their service and switching back to AT&T.
    What BS

• On
      7th of Jul, 2009

Don't EVER go though Birch. I have been with them since 2001. At first, they were an honest and trustworthy company, but in the last year their practices have verged on the criminal. First, your bill is not even mailed to you until 6 days after the payment date, so they can attach huge late fees. Secondly, the phone at my business was disconected one month ago for the new owner. I made the mistake of assuming Birch would no longer bill me. WRONG. I was told I have to pay this months bill as well as next, because I did not contact them for cancelation. I asked if had I not called, would they continue to send a bill for the next two years or longer, and she said yes.
    This is a desperate company, like so many others, will stop at nothing to take advantage of consumers for their benefit. I REPEAT, STAY AWAY.