Bell Express View Satellite / Smart Cards / the worst Customer service I EVER DEALT with!

1 Benson, Saskatchewan, Canada Review updated:

This is the worst Customer service I EVER DEALT with.

Problem: 3 yrs ago, Bell replaced their smart cards with new ones. They were supposed to be sent to all subscribers free of charge, so they could replace their old ones. We were never sent new smartcards for our receivers, the only reason we had satellite was that we purchased a PVR model, just prior to the change so it was already equipped with the new version of their smart card.

After many requests, I was promised they would send my cards out... they never came. Now I am told that being that it's been 3 yrs I will have to pay $70 each for the smart cards

Bells argument:

- they have no record of me calling to request them, and why do I wait 3 years?

My reply:

- I have requested them and have been promised they were coming, it's not my fault this was never recorded. Bell Express employees get paid to take my calls, I DON'T get paid to sit on hold, beg, argue or plead for my smart cards. That's why I did it only every few months, that and I was patiently waiting for them to be mailed as promised.

Bells Argument:

- The receivers in question are 8 yrs old. Be happy you got that time out of them and purchase new equipment

My reply:

-They weren't 8 yrs old when I first requested my smart cards. On top of that why should we be punished for taking care of our equipment. I just want the smart cards so we have satellite in our bedroom. We don't need anything fancy as we have our PVR upstairs. Plus we will replace our equipment when we decide to, Bell should have no right to try and force that on thier customers.
If we want to be cheap that is our prerogative!! We pay our $100 monthly programming bill so they should be happy.

In Closing:
I emailed them through their site in Dec never got a reply. Now it's Feb 2008, still no smart cards.
You can't complain to anyone, because everyone seems to be a manager there, but yet no one can do anything. As far as getting a hold of anyone that is really incharge it's impossible.
I swear if you complain they pass you around the call center, laughing.
We've been long standing customers since 2000, all I asked for is my Smart Cards that I should have been sent 3 yrs ago... nothing more... nothing less. The fact that they are willing to loss our business over this, shows their dedication to customer service.

Thanks for listening everyone :)

P.S
We called Star Choice about their programming, ( because we felt if we are being forced to buy new equipment and get crappy customer service, we might as well change providers) Anyways, with Star choice you DON'T have to wait on hold, you leave your number and it calls you back when you are next in line for a customer service representative... what an awesome idea and a real time saver!!!

Comments

• Tr
      7th of Jul, 2008

I HATE BELL TOO. I can't stand their automatic telephone service and if you actually get to talk to a live person, you can't even understand them because no one speaks English without a strong accent.

Smart cards should be renamed Stupid cards. We had our satelite for just 7 months and we have to have them replaced.

22nd of Jul, 2008

I agree with you they are the worst company ever, customer help is abismal, they have tried to charge me for non activation of system and then a deactivation of system I DON'T EVEN HAVE A BELL SATELITE SYSTEM this has been on going for 7 months they are just one big jike

Good luck sorting it you will neeed it.

• Ba
      29th of Aug, 2008

Absolutely unreal!!! The whole system is messed up. For a week now I have had no HD reception, finally had time to call the centre. We all know that u need to put aside atleast one hour for the call. First off the person to whom I was speaking could barely speak English which made it very difficult to work with. After messing around with the system for atleast 1/2 an hour I was told I did not have the upgraded channels ''Did I want them?' My reply was 'fix this problem first and then we will talk"
    Long story short Bell wants to charge me 75.00 to come and fix my satellite that might or might not have been hit by a storm. I freaked. He knocked 25.00 off and booked an appointment. Needless to say the problem was not fixed! Then I hear about these smart cards?! Knew nothing about them but soon got on the phone to find out. The girl was pleasant enough but u could tell she was fed up with ?'s about these cards. Turns out I don't need a card because of the system I have. And she now has reversed the payment of 75.00 to nothing!! How could that be?!! So what is going on with this whole system smart cards, storms and the sunshine. I hate Bell Express View!!! I only got it because of the HD PVR and that I do love!! So I have no idea why this guy is coming, strikes me as odd that my HD programming went down the same time that all this smart card stuff started. Before this I was a Star Choice subscriber and if I can get out of this contract I will be again!!!

• Mj
      11th of Sep, 2008

I was able to visit India 3 times and Milan once without even buying a plane ticket. Over the space of 15 hours I have had discussions with 5 different representatives who assured me that they can fix my problem. My Smartcard indicates that it cannot currently authorize to view or purchase any of the channels I am already paying for. Prior to this problem (now 15 hours ago) the system was working fine. With each call I am getting more and more frustrated.

The last representative said he would put in a service call that would cost me $75.00. He indicated that my warranty had expired. The problem is with my so called smartcard but due to the language barriers, they seem to have a problem understanding that. I requested a new smartcard but they didn't respond to that request. I was able to get names, but I am pretty sure that won't help when I want to lodge a complaint - wherever that might be. At the end of all my conversations with these representatives, they all wanted to take a minute of my time to get me to buy other products, more movies, etc. Wow! what nerve.

I have to say that I am not at all pleased with Bell Express View. I agree with person who said they should re-name them from Smart Card to Stupid card.

• Mj
      11th of Sep, 2008

UPDATE

Now in my 23rd hour - we finally reached someone who could give us some answsers - of course, still located in India. She explained to us that they have been having difficulty with the "smarcards" and there has been a system problem since Monday - September 8th. She also said for and additional $100.00, they will send me a new smartcard within 7 working days. Apparently we are not the only people with this problem. I am really sorry we signed up with Bell Express View. For anyone out there reading this - it might be wise to go with someone else if possible.

• Fr
      12th of Sep, 2008

Like most big utility corporations (phone, satellite, tv providers), I have found customer service has become so poor that it is almost impossible to do business with them on a normal basis. I learned that the best way to get what you want is to just call to cancel the service. Then, you magically get the best, most articulate people, who speak perfect English, and are ready to offer to remedy whatever your problem is, and frequently will lower your rates, because, of course, they value you and want to keep you as a customer. It is both astonishing & sad that customer service has degraded to this point, but as smart consumers we must know how to navigate successfully in this new world, just as our ancestors did. Happy Sailing!!

• Ro
      13th of Sep, 2008

I'm going to Star Choice! I don't have time for Bell's run around. My system's cable went bad the monent I put the smart card in. Huh! The last time Bell advised me to change my cable I just had align my dish.

• Sc
      7th of Oct, 2008

I agree with you wholeheartedly. My "Smartcard" went down on Thursday night and when I got a hold of someone they told me they were going to issue a new card and that it will take 5-7 business days. I asked if I could speak to a manager and they put me on hold with someone who couldn't help me. I went round and round in circles for 3 hours. I can't wait to cancel this service. It is the pits.

• Da
      13th of Nov, 2008

I currently haven't got any channels. The pop up reagrding the smart card expiration kept on popping up every 10 minutes. I phoned regarding this and they said they sent me a new smart card in the mail. I have been waiting for this card for 2 months. My husband phoned last week to complain as we kept losing channels daily. They said the smart card is in the mail. Well now we have discovered a problem, they sent it to an invalid address. How insane is that? Seems strange that they can send us our monthly bill, but the smart card they decided to send it to our physical rural address, which doesn't exist through postage. Why the heck is it so difficult to read our mailing address and [censored]ing send it there? So after a promise of 5 business days, it is still not here. I phoned yesterday. The trouble is I only have cell service where I live. I spend 27 minutes of my phone time between language barriers and holding to find out that they sent my card out 51 days ago. I guess they didn't get that call from my husband the week before. Now another 7 business days to wait and for what, I aint holding my breath. After all this and I explain to the guy that I am on a cell phone costing me a great deal of money although I have free incoming calls, he can't call me back. He then has the nerve to ask me to answer a few customer service questions and actually expects me to use more of my precious cell phone minutes for their companies benefit. I guess he didn't hear me as I said I haven't got time for this, he asked me if I wanted to purchase 5 new channels for only $1, I haven't got any channels right now, so what the hell good is 5 more I won't see, just another dollar gone, I said no and good-bye. I want to switch to star choice or something like that, but my husband wants to have the PVR to record, he's patient, but I am just pissed off!

• Ge
      12th of Mar, 2011
    Bell express view - Crappy t.v. and loud t.v. commercials
    Ontario
    Canada

I am being overcharged for crappy t.v. that promises over 100 channels, but in reality 99 of them are the exact same. I want my money back!

Gerry Roy