Bell Canada / customer service

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 310-BELL
Since the day I called Bell Canada to advise we were moving I have had nothing but bad service and experienced one mess up after another. I called to 1.report an address change, 2. cancel my land line and 3. find
out how much it would be for internet only. My first call began at the end of
August. When I called to change my address I went through an automated system and waited for a representative for almost 10 minutes. Since I work everyday cannot be on the phone all the time so I had to try back later. I called at different times of the day, but the wait times were always very long which made it very annoying and difficult to do what I thought was going to be a simple phone call. This happened several times over the first couple of weeks in September. When I did get to speak to someone she said she updated my address, and then said she had to transfer my call to someone else responsible for cancelling our phone line. After waiting and being transferred I was asked the same information over again and had to repeat the address change because I was told the first representative didn't update it properly. The representative asked why I wasn't keeping the phone line, which I explained to him. We have cell phones and only had the land line because we lived in a secure apartment building. The apartment building had intercom access which required a land line. Once we moved on Oct 1/08 we wouldn't need it. The representative told me my phone would be disconnected October 1/08 when we moved, but I'd have to pay for the service until October 18, 2008 because I hadn't called 30 days in advance. I explained that I had repeatedly tried to call but couldn't get through. He said that was unfortunate but it was Bell's policy and I should have tried to call back until I spoke with someone, therefore I would have to pay for the service until October 18/08 regardless. I asked him if I had to pay for a reconnection fee at the new address if I kept the land line. He said I wouldn't, so I requested that the phone line be transferred to the new address and then disconnected at the end of 30 days (October 18/08). He told me the phone line would be switched over on Friday October 26/08. He confirmed that there would be no interruption in the service and that we would have internet and phone access.
On Monday October 29/08 we still had no phone at the new address so I began the bothersome task of trying to get through to a representative again to find out what happened. When I finally got through, the representative apologized because the phone line was still set up at the old address. I was annoyed because the previous representative screwed up, but also concerned because there were new tenants moving into the old apartment. I was worried about any possible charges to my phone number. I talked to the representative about this and he assured me that I wouldn't be charged for any calls and that I could check my bill when I got it. He said my phone would be transferred in 5 business days. I asked if they could do it sooner since it was Bell's mistake, but I was told that wasn't possible. I also asked if I had to pay for service for 5 days when I wasn't receiving it, and he said I had to. I told him that didn't make sense because it was an error on behalf of Bell Canada. When I asked if there was someone else I could speak to I was told there was nothing anyone else could do either. I was very irritated and began obtaining quotes from other companies to switch our internet service.
Again I had the onerous task of calling Bell. I was sick of dealing with the company so I decided to have the internet cancelled on October 18/08 in addition to the phone line. If the representatives couldn't process simple requests like change an address or arrange connection/reconnection then I didn't want to deal with them. At that point none of the representatives showed an initiative or interest in trying to retain business. I just wanted to pay for the 30 days of poor service and cut my losses.
Within a couple of days after requesting cancellation of all services at our new address I received a call from a very rude Bell representative asking when I was going to pay my bill. I told him I would pay it when I received my bill. He persisted in telling me my bill had to be paid which I assured him it would be once I received a statement. (I later found out that on Oct. 24/08 my statement had been sent to the wrong address.)
It wasn't very long after that I received another call from a Bell
representative who said he was from Bell Loyalty. I actually thought it was a joke considering the service I had received up to that point. I couldn't
understand why I would be harassed by someone trying to collect payments before the bill was issued and then receive a call from someone trying to retain business. I recounted my bad experiences and how much time I had wasted on the phone over this. The 'Loyalty' rep apologized and said Bell valued our business. I asked if there was anything he could do about reversing some of the charges, since we had gone without services due to their error. He said that wasn't possible, but he offered us faster internet, discounts on our bills and a number of other services which I hadn't asked for. It's incredible that many Bell employees are unable to reverse charges when services were not provided. It's unbelievable that they don't assist customers in speaking to someone who can assist them in order to keep their customers. I would think it easier to retain an existing customer, than try to obtain new ones. I compared the prices the 'Loyalty' representative provided which came as a package if we kept the land line and internet. It was comparable to the quotes I had obtained and he assured me that I would have no further problems with our service. Based on that I agreed to keep the land line and internet. During our conversation I told him about the representatives I had dealt with prior to him and that I had requested the internet and phone be disconnected on the 18th. He said that request was cancelled and he promised me that there would be no interruption in the service.
On Oct 18th I was unable to sign on the internet. I wondered
if it was my computer so I made a trip to the library after work to use a
computer. When I tried to check my email, I received the message that my account had been closed. I started calling Bell again, but couldn't get through. Then I drove to a Bell store and the employee directed me to a self service phone to get some assistance. After being on hold for almost 20 minutes and speaking to a representative she disconnected the call. I was in disbelief that this was happening again. Before I hung up I asked another employee (Sandra Beresh) to check the line to determine if it had really been disconnected. She confirmed that it had been. Not knowing how angry I was at this point with every interaction I had experienced she suggested try again. At that point I had to leave the store before I exploded in anger. I have been in customer service for over 20 years and had higher expectations than this from a company that claimed they wanted to keep my business.
When I returned to the store Sandra apologized to me for the problems I have experienced and arranged to have the internet reconnected. Somehow the 'Loyalty' representative who promised the internet and phone line would not be cancelled and offered me the great deals, managed to keep the phone line open but the internet was still cancelled on the 18th.
Out of all the employees I had dealt with she somehow managed to have the
internet and email up again within 3 hours. How is it she could do that, but
other employees cannot change addresses correctly? Arrange to disconnect/reconnect services when they say they will? Transfer calls without disconnecting the customer? Reverse service charges? Harass customers for payment of bills before the bill is even received?
The time spent dealing with Bell was ridiculous not to mention frustrating. This is all because of a simple move. Customers do this everyday. It should be routine, however I had to make repeated phone calls, the frustration of being disconnected on several occasions, the inconvenience of driving around using other computers because of Bell, having to visit a store to try and get better service...the whole experience is very frustrating.
I emailed Sandra Beresh and asked to speak to a Manager or someone with some authority who could provide some meaningful compensation for the lack of service Bell's employees in general have provided. She responded to my request, stating that she forwarded my email to her manager. After one week I hadn’t heard from anyone so I sent her another email to find out how long it takes for someone to respond to a customer enquiry. She stated that there is no set timeframe, but assured me that she had sent her manager the email and also let her manager know that I was expecting a call. After a couple more emails and no response I made arrangements to switch all services to another company and called Bell to cancel service. Within, two business days I again received a call from collections threatening to suspend service. Once I asked the collector to not only suspend it, just cancel it immediately…he wouldn’t. He said I had to call a different number. I refused to call and wait on the phone for another ½ hour so I asked for a manager. He told me I couldn’t speak to one. When he realized he wasn’t going to get anywhere with me, he put a manager on the line. The manager was rude and disconnected the call.

I have been a customer with Bell Canada since 1988 and always paid my bills in full and on time. Until October 2008 I had never had an overdue account. They are unwilling to provide any compensation and it is impossible to even speak to a manager who will assist. If anyone knows who to file a complaint with that will get me anywhere with this company, I’d love to know about it.
Ma

Comments

4th of Feb, 2010
We were a few days late paying our bill and were being harassed with phone calls. I was getting a little short on the phone because I had already given them the day that it would be paid and their phone calls were getting annoying - not to mention that they had woken the baby a few times!!

One particular call I hung up in frustration. The Bell representative called back and left a message calling me by name and said "Go F__ yourself, you F___ing B__"

We called and complained about this horrible service and they said it would be dealt with internally - and they would not call us back to let us know that it had been dealt with. Nice. I doubt anything was ever done -- what do they care? They got their money!
Pa
  14th of Feb, 2010
me and my family we were in vacation for 47 days before that happen i call bell to let then know that i want to put in suspension my account because i am not going to use it . i told then to reconect the internet services on january 25 2010 as today still i donot have the internet back february 14 2010 .
i spoke almost every day to customer services each one i called i have to explain my situation i spoke to 3 differents supervisors they said to me that they gona take care personal and for sure tomorrow you will have the internet back but is not the case the promise something that they are not able to accomplish .
my kits they are in college they use the internet they have to go to my neightbord to be able to to their home work
me i use the internet to work at home simply i am lossing money
what should i do ? bell is really crap
pamela chero
  14th of Mar, 2010
Bell Canada offers the worst customer service for a telecommunications company in the world. They can only help you... during the week, 9-5.
Ho
  16th of Mar, 2010
Here's a thought... If Bell Canada is so bad, why not hold them to a form of strict liability? Every time you communicate with them, tell them it has to be in writing. That way, it is clear who has promised to do what for whom. And it would be obvious when someone fails to deliver. If that doesn't work, then simply record every conversation you have with a representative from Bell Canada. You'd have to tell the Bell person you are recording the call and it would be up to the person from Bell Canada if they want to hang up or not.

But I'd be willing to bet that if you did tell someone from Bell they were being recorded while they are speaking with you, they would probably not hang up on you, they would certainly not yell at you, they would not promise one thing and do something else, they would show up on time or when they say they will, they would deliver on their promises to give you a "deal, " discount or special rate and not jack up your bill and would simply stop providing really bad customer service.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that, after a year or so of recording the conversations with Bell Canada staff, Bell Canada would get smart, and realize they need to get so much better at their customer service. And please remember everyone, if there are no customers, there is no Bell Canada.
  21st of Mar, 2011
On March 21st, 2011 My wife Carol Called Bell Canada and was speaking to Line #id xx357 she kept on telling Carol that we have a contract and that we cannot cancel the service. I got on the phone and spoke to her explaining to her that we do not have a contract and we did not agree to those terms. She also told me there would be a cancellation fee of $100 put on the account and if not paid would go to collections. I tried to explain to her that we had someone from her department call us almost 10 times harassing us to pay the bill by credit card or he would keep on calling as a result we are cancelling the service. I also explained to her that I have proof about this. She went on to say that customers do this all the time to avoid paying for the service and basically get away without paying. I asked her just to give me the confirmation number and cancel the service. She kept on stalling by telling me that she would email it to me with a copy of the verbal contract my wife agreed to. I asked her again just to give me the confirmation number so that I could end the call. She finally gave me the confirmation number #915115966 and hung up the phone on me. That is the service reps they have working at Bell.
Ss
  8th of Apr, 2011
As power of attorney, I tried to cancel my aunt's internet service in November 2010, after she'd gone into hospital for the last time. I was told I would receive a final invoice and an address sticker for returning the modem. The final total was around $50.Neither came. Five days after my aunt died at the end of December 2010, I stared getting what became a barrage fo telephone calls and invoices from Bell's collection agency. After speaking on several occassions to collections reps to try to get the final bill, I was finally given a total of $158 for a bill that was $50. Having had enough of Bell's harassment, I agreed to pay the $158 just to close the account. The idea that I was in bereavemnet, never entered the discussion from them.
Anyway, two days after cashing my cheque for the full amount in February, I started receiving more phone calls and mail regarding late payment fees. I continue to get these invoices for another $14.25. Enough is enough. This company needs to understand they must change their billing tactics, and customers have to get vocal about it. I'm willing to take this as far as it will go on principal alone.
Ar
  26th of May, 2011
Those dumb bell customers never make sense, they want everything for nothing. We suffer so much at Bell because of this stupidity ... sometimes we wish they stop calling all together and go away ... rather get no calls and possibility of business closure than to deal with ###s who know nothing about their plans, bills, or even the phone they're using ...such ###s.
Ar
  8th of Jun, 2011
I personally think its better off not to call except to dispute bills and disconnect your service. Even better, switch to a different telecommunication company all together so you rid yourself of headache of dealing with incompetent unhappy employees who don't even want to be there, and we as employees don't have to deal with your IQ of a squirrel l intelligent, your miserable attitude, and your stupid questions. This is my personal opinion based on what I seen from the company and its customers.

An
  16th of Jun, 2011
We've been Bell customers for 50plus years. We stayed with them when telecommunications were deregulated.We resisted bundling sales by other telephone folk.
However, during a recent call to Bell (to delete call waiting and try to lower the monthly charge), I was given a firm quote by the Bell rep of $57.00/month.Last month's bill did not reflect the new quote(which was repeated to me several times, taxes included).
Another phone call...credit would be given on this month's bill. This month's bill arrived...no credit, no quoted amount.
Another phone call...only to be told I could not have the $57.00 quote.
I'm done with such shoddy customer service and have changed (to my financial advantage) companies.
  29th of Oct, 2012
Tasha10 for one thing I have an apology letter from Hundson Bay in regards to the compaint. They conducted and investagation and looked at the video of what had happened and agreed with us. Also a further investigation is taking place by Corrections Canada that investigates complaints from the public against things like this. And the guard is no longer working for Hundson Bay or Zellers anymore until the investigation is conducted. I also have letters from both departments confirming this. And also I do not have a 7 year old son he is only 12 months old. So I am not sure where you are getting your information from because it is not truee. Thank You for your concern.
Ja
  11th of Jan, 2013
Specific problems I have had with Bell is its inflexibility in dealing with special circumstances of a customer:
Bell moved to Microsoft for their Internet services (e-mail, web sites, etc.) which, because Microsoft refuses to admit it is not the only computer software company in the world, meant that Bell could no longer support computers that were not running Windows. When challenged on problems with this implementation Bell refused to support any internet services beyond provision of band-width. I have not received a single e-mail sent to my Sympatico mail address in over 3 years.
On a related note Bell's own web-site is implemented using Microsoft technology which fails to work properly with either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers even though those two browsers are more popular than Internet Explorer. One arrogant insensitive corporation hand-in-glove with a notoriously arrogant and insensitive corporation.
I tried Bell Satellite Television but Bell demanded an extra $5 a month to continue providing a single channel which is available over-the-air in Ottawa. So I cancelled the service.
I tried Bell Mobility but Bell was unable after many attempts to provide signal coverage in the building where I work. The problem is that Bell's antenna is mounted on the roof of my building so there was no coverage in my office. Despite this Bell was unwilling to negotiate a termination of the contract.
I tried to pay a bill for a new service that was not covered by my existing pre-authorized checking payment the same way that I pay all other such services and made most recent purchases, by using a debit card. But Bell has chosen to not implement any method by which a debit card can be used for payment either on their web-site or at any of their retail outlets. All debit card payments must be presented to a bank.
I tried all customer service escalation processes within Bell but they not only refused point blank to rectify any of the issues, but refused to give any explanation of why they were refusing. In my opinion Bell's senior executives are cowards who are unwilling to confront customers who have been impacted by their poorly thought out policy decisions. Never once was I given the opportunity to speak to anyone above the level of supervisor.
Sb
  22nd of May, 2013
Bell Canada came to repair a phone issue and cut away a part of my garage in an attempt to access the box. The garage is lightweight temporary garage and could have been moved to gain access. The Bell company denies any responsibility to the garage being damaged but there would be no purpose in a vandal cutting away a wall around the bell box. Four weeks of run around and excuses including personal issues on the part of the person handling the file. This has been an outrageous experience with Bell and I am surprised that this has occurred.

Bell Canada Logo Bell Canada
Customer Care Service
Overall Satisfaction Rating

398 Reviews
The Office of the Bell Privacy Ombudsman, 160 Elgin St.
Ottawa