Beachbodyadvertising/online access

R Mar 08, 2017

On January 30, 2017, I purchased the Body Beast program via the internet from Beachbody, LLC. 3301 Exposition Blvd., 3rd Fl., Santa Monica, CA 90404. The internet ad as well as the information commercial clearly stated that the purchase included “Bonus Gift #2: Free access to Body Beast’s premium online program”. As well as, “FREE OFFER stream your workouts with purchase”. When I received the program via the U.S. Mail, I discovered the program does not include the internet access. This deceptive advertisement was an attempt to force me to purchase an additional membership to the online program. There was no mention of a “Trial Offer” or that the internet access had a time limit. There was also no mention that the internet access required an additional membership. I subsequently contacted the company and was told by several sources that it is indeed a “trial” membership that could be claimed only when I purchased the monthly membership. When I spoke to customer service representatives in a recorded statement, they admitted that the practice was deceitful and misleading. They also stated they had personally dealt with numerous complaints about the practice. In its response to the Better Business Bureau in Santa Monica, CA, the company related that they are in the process of updating the advertisement because of its deceitful and misleading nature. Unfortunately, their advertisement in its original form deceived me (as well as numerous other customers) as to the true nature of the purchase in order for me to buy the product. Internet access to the program was an integral part of my decision to purchase for the company. I have purchased programs via the internet and to this day have access to that program via streaming through the internet. It is true the company offered an extended “trial offer”, but that does not fulfill the advertisement, it only delays the payment. Not only is this practice a violation of the public trust, it is a violation of the law.
I submit that this advertisement violates the law on several points.
Truth in Advertising Laws;
15 U.S. Code § 1125 - False designations of origin, false descriptions, and dilution forbidden.
Wire Fraud;
18 U.S. Code § 1343 - Fraud by wire, radio, or television.
California State Statutes 17200, 17500.

Beachbody