BB&T / account frozen during travel

Jul 13, 2015
This summer I took a 25 day trip to Malaysia to do my thesis research. Upon landing I tried to withdraw cash from an ATM. I was declined. The other girl who I traveled with, who also banked with BB&T, was also declined. We tried ATMs all over the airport and outside of it with no luck. When we finally reached our destination and were able to contact our parents through the WiFi, they both contacted BB&T customer service with different answers. My mother was told I did not file a travel document (I did) and that's why my account was frozen. Her dad was told that Malaysia is on a list that automatically freezes your card if it is used in any of the countries on that list! So basically we were stuck in a foreign country with no way of getting money for a month and were never informed of this secret list. Thank god we were with someone who could get money out. Needless to say I am extremely pissed at this potentially very dangerous situation and will be switching banks immediately.

Branch Banking & Trust Company / BB&T Logo Branch Banking & Trust Company / BB&T
PO Box 632