Basset Furniture / poor quality furniture, huge delays, crap customer service

United States Review updated:

I recently ordered $6, 400 worth of furniture at Basset Furniture. It is a dining table with eight matching chairs, and a shelving wall unit. The salesperson seemed reasonably knowledgeable and I patiently waited the six weeks for the furniture to arrive.

When it did, I was shocked. The stain on the dining chairs was darker on the tops than the rest of the chair. The entire set was a darker finish than I ordered. The poor quality craftsmanship showed on the underside of the table. But the biggest problem was that the shelves had come in the completely wrong color. The delivery guys called the store and ended up taking away the shelving. I had taken a day of vacation for the furniture delivery. I was furious.

The store manager was dismissive and aloof. He interupted me, was evasive on when he would get back to me, and blamed me for the mistake. He called the next day to report the salesman said I had wanted the two different colors - pieces that are in the exact same room. It was a blatant lie, but one that I had no paperwork to refute. They refused to do a refund or even apologize. Their "solution"? Take another day of my vacation to come in and argue with the salesperson, then order the shelves in the darker finish I originally asked for. I will have to wait another 6 weeks. That is three months from the time I ordered that I actually get my furniture.

Bassett Furniture is a rip off for the quality, has terrible customer service, and the customer has no recourse when the store personnel make a mistake. My next step after posting this is to contact consumer reports.

Ma

Comments

• Li
      18th of Jan, 2008
    Basset Furniture - Furniture delivered damaged and missing!
    Basset Furniture
    8597 Sancus Boulevard
    Columbus
    Ohio
    Phone: (614) 468-0122

We ordered or furniture in early Oct. 2007. We new the date we closed on our new home and new the estimated time for delivery and coordinated it so. Well Upon receiving the furniture in mid Nov. we noticed that almost every piece was damaged or missing pieces. On top of that some of the items ordered were never even placed. Upon speaking with the store manager about items being the wrong color and damaged they agreed to rush us new furniture. Well Christmas came and went with family sitting of folding chairs, still no word. Finally got in touch with them in mid January about the damaged furniture and missing chairs. They told us that the replacement foot board was still in the approval stage and that our furniture was scheduled for delivery on Friday. I assume we would have never received a call about delivery if we had not in fact called them. We are still waiting on replacement parts for damaged furniture and will never shop at another Basset furniture again. Thank God that when we went to purchase our new sectional sofa we went to Haverty's instead. Hopefully our experience will be a better one then the horrible experience we have had with Basset.