[Resolved] Bashas' Supermarkets / unprofessional behaviour

5 West River Road, Store 160, United States

Date of the Incident: 01/30/2019
Client Number: Not available
I have been doing shopping in Bashas for about last 2 years .
I work next to this Supermarket and visited Deli to get a lunch, 3-4 times a week.
Today I wanted to buy salami and asked a young associate to cut salami for about 4 inches width. That's when it started.
First, told me that he need to know the weight...?????? The question itself seemed awkward to me because I am buying salami not the first time in my life, and no one ever asked me a question about a weight. I answered that I really do not know the weight, if he could just cut 4 in and showed him with my hands how wide it should be.
Next, he raised his voice and repeated the same question about the weight.
I told him still, that I truly do not know the weight and I also asked him why he raised his voice at me.
He insisted on his question again and I could not manage it any more. I asked to call maybe someone else who would be able to cut salami for me.
He is young man, and first I would think he has no experience handling food, ... but raising voice and showing attitude...? That's a shame.

• Resolution statement

• Bashas' Supermarkets Customer Care's Response, Jan 30, 2019

Thanks for your submission. At which location did you shop? We'd be happy to follow up with the clerk involved.

That said, since most customers specify a desired weight when placing their sliced meat orders (i.e., "May I please have a half-pound of bologna?"), can you clarify what you meant by "4 inches width?" The salami's width is predetermined by its manufacturer. Different sticks of salami come in varying widths. Did you perhaps mean four inches tall? As in, "Keep slicing salami until you have a stack that's four inches tall?" I have a feeling our clerk may have been confused by the unconventional terminology.

Regardless, he could've tried to clarify with you more politely, and we're happy to follow up on that.

Om