Barnes & Noble / barnes and noble falsely advertises & fast and free & delivery

1 76 Ninth Avenue, 9th FloorNew York, NY, United States Review updated:

On december 16th, I ordered items from barnesandnoble.com to be used as christmas presents. I normally would never order so close to the holidays, however, the website advertised - "fast and free delivery. " according to the advertisement, orders placed by the 17th would arrive 3 days after being shipped from the warehouse. My items were shipped on the 19th and scheduled for delivery on the 22nd.

However, ups has now rescheduled the delivery for the 24th. I will not be home to receive this delivery as I will be visiting the people for whom I ordered the gifts that I will not have for them.

Had I known this would be a possibility, I would never have ordered from them. Their customer service operator explained that they have "no control"over ups who apparently do not deliver on the weekends. Why, on earth, would a company as large as barnes and noble use a shipping service over whom they have "no control" and who do not deliver on the weekends?

Va

Comments

Me
  12th of Jul, 2008

Barnes and Noble's Fast and Free Delivery is only partially legitimate. It's free yes, but fast, not so much. I placed an order for three books and a CD. The CD was shipped on July 11th and is scheduled to arrive on the 16th, and the books, which were shipped separately (I am assuming they are shipping from a different warehouse) are not even in transit yet, which means they will arrive even later than the 16th. They need to switch to the USPS. At least they provide services on Saturdays also.

Am
  28th of Aug, 2008

No one has control over the UPS. I know that whenever people have a problem with slow shipping the complain to the people who have no control instead of complaining to the people who are the ones causing the problem in the first place the UPS company. Once an item leaves the sellers hands they are no longer in control of how long it takes to get an item they just can estimate on past experiences. So in other words it is no use to complain to Barnes and Nobles about the slow shipping because they can't do anything about it no matter how much you complain, etc. If you need a book by a certain date then do the logical thing order early like weeks early and not days early. I'll be the first to admit that I have no empathy for those who choose to shop last minute, so to speak. Now if barnes and noble had shipped in out late and that is why it got to you late then there is a base for complaint.

Da
  26th of Mar, 2009

I pre ordered a book and i still have not recieved it even though the tracker says its riding around my town.

Ch
  21st of Mar, 2010

Try contacting Terri Pucin, Vice President of Customer Experience for B&N.. try contacting her through the switchboard main number 212-633-3300. i think the email is tpucin@bn.com or some format of firstname lastname @bn.com Good luck! although I recall her being the biggest ### in the world and she is supposed to lead the entire company's customer experience but she is absolutely a horrible wench which tells a lot for the company if the person at the top is completely rude.. I think they should fire her and hire someone that understands being nice to the customer and more competent.. hopefully they will see this! Pass the word and stop big corporations like B&N from stealing from customers and not being accountable!

Lg
  29th of Sep, 2010

I have a membership with B&N which promises free express delivery. I placed an order on Sept. 24 (everything in stock) and found out that it won't even SHIP until Oct. 15. How is that express? I emailed them but no one bothered to return my email. I've since cancelled my order and will not renew my membership with them. (nor will I ever order from them again) I'm sticking with Amazon from now on.

Mi
  31st of Jul, 2013

I used to be a diehard fan of Barnes & Noble but their shipping practices baffle the mind, especially when you consider the excellent customer service of their competition Amazon. I don't mind having to wait for an item a few days but don't lie about it! Don't tout 1-3 business days express shipping when it will take at least a week to leave the warehouse, and on a FRIDAY which prolongs the wait 2 more non business days! FALSE ADVERTISING!!! If this book wasn't sold out everywhere else I'd cancel my order.

Ny
  15th of May, 2014

I've been a Barnes and Noble member for at least 5 years. My daughter is an avid reader with 7foot tall bookshelves full of books from Barnes and Noble. The Express 1-3 day delivery is a lie and a sham. I get frustrated each and every time because it normally takes 1-3 WEEKS and NOT days. I'm going to try Amazon since they have a lot of good reviews.

Mu
  15th of Oct, 2015

I agree that the express delivery is a sham. This is false representation and they could be liable for misrepresentation. I ordered a book with express shipping 5 days ago and it has not even been processed yet, let alone shipped. There is no way it will be on time for my son's friend's birthday present. I will never order from them again.