Barclays Bank Delaware / Juniper Financial / Unauthorized charges!

One of the largest credit card issuers in the US, this privately held subsidiary of a foreign bank seems to have a practice of late billing, slow processing, and unresponsive customer service that results in inappropriate assessment of late fees and interest on payments delivered to them on time but not processed in a timely fashion. Since they appear to profit hugely from this practice I have a hard time believing it is just ineptitude. They issue a number of specialty cards for a variety of airlines and retailers. Contacting their customer service is a waste of time. Cancel your card, and complain to the sponsoring airline or retailer, as their customer service departments might actually care. Complaints can also be filed with the FDIC using an easy online complaint form.

Comments

• Ld
      5th of Aug, 2008

I agree that there must be something terribly wrong with Barclays Bank, Delaware. It recently denied issuing me an LLBean Visa Card, citing that information contained in my TransUnion Credit Report suggests that I am not a permanent resident in the United States.

Barclays PLC (US branch Card Service) - please read the Credit Report carefully. I have a perfect credit history for over 17 years in US. I have never been late with any of my payments. How could I have this continuous credit history if I don't reside in this country as a permanent resident?

Barclays Delaware then requested me to send them a copy of my passport with photo, or my birth certifacte to show I was born in USk, etc. etc. Or else, they would not give my credit card application further consideration. This is BLATANT violation of Equal Credit Opportunity Act!!

LL Bean is a great company and sells high quality product. It should never partner with Barclays Bank, Delaware.

13th of Apr, 2009

I would NOT recommend to deal with Barclay's Bank, Delaware. Everything said above about late billing, slow processing and unsecured accounts is absolutely true.
    Stay away from this bank. It just has a bad reputation.

• Td
      9th of Sep, 2009

I have had a Barclays card (via one of my favorite airlines) for less than 6 months but I am canceling it due to their deceptive practices. They receive my payment well before the due date but hold onto it until just after the due date before depositing it thus netting them $39 in late fees. With just a few searches on the Internet I have found others who have similar complaints. Is there any way to go after this company with a class action suit? I have warned my airline to beware of this relationship.

• St
      26th of Jan, 2010

Barclays charged me a late fee 11 months ago which was their fault. After a few months of trying to get them to reverse the charges I canceled the card and opted out of their "new" fees and just making payments to the balance I owe. Four months later I get a statement saying I am now paying 30.24% interest on this account. I called them and told them they can't do this as I canceled the card and opted out of the new fees. They said since I had a late fee 11 months ago they can do this. I tried to write to the bank fraud in Delaware and they have not replied that was two weeks ago. I am paying off this balance and NEVER using Barclays again!