Banfield / "wellness plan"

1 Ohio, United States Review updated:

I placed my kitten on the wellness plan and a few weeks later he had to be put to sleep probably due to FIP. They told me to cancel the plan I had to call the main office. After being on hold for about 15 minutes I tell the rep that my cat died and she says I owe them $150.00. Guess I didn't make enough monthly payments to cover the money I saved on the plan. Felt like I was dealing with some HMO. We don't need that kind of thing spreading over to the animal care. Plus I'm starting to think a smart vet would work for himself not some big corp.

Mp

Comments

• Do
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Same exact thing happened to me. Only good thing is that we stopped taking our kitten to the banfield hospital after they ran blood work prior to castration and when their "home" test failed charged us 115 for it and did not do the castration. Since than we stay away from banfield and tried to cancel "wellness Plan" we were tricked to sign by a receptionist. She said "Ohh you can cancel at any time". She forgot to mention that even though you can pay monthly in addition to the membership fee you are responsible for full yearly amount or if you decide to cancel before 1 year you will be charged for the services that were done on your pet. Stupidly enough we did not read the agreement. So now I am tying to cancel the wellness plan and am being told that I owe the hospital 200 for the services they done.
    My kitted almost went into seizure when they gave him leukemia shot. We had to pay for blood work that had one item (Crea) out of normal range by .1 (1.3 normal we had 1.4) which did not allow our kitten to be castrated. Keep in mind that the secondary (urinary) test was suppose to be done to verify the blood results but was never offered.

Bottom line is Banfields pet health services are horrible. It is like a conveyor to make $$$. They do not care about your pets. Their lab facilities are not accurate and again are probably adjusted to make $$$ for the bad test results. You can't get out of this so-called wellness plan because regardless of what is supposevely covered by the plan you owe them money from day one, and until you pay one full year worth, you will not get out. They are like a bad plague you can't get rid off. I doubt that the amount of service they claim they will provide amounts to the total you will pay by the end of the year.
    I will be picketing in front of Mountain View banfield building this Sunday.

• N5
      23rd of Nov, 2009

Sorry to hear about your problem with Banfield, but i must say bloodwork should be done prior to your animal being neutered. If my Vet hospital called me and told me that they could not do surgery because the blood results were not normal i would greatly appreciate it. If the vet even had a doubt i would not want the surgery performed, my aniaml is to precious... I would think i would be responsible to pay for the bloodwork that they performed that day. Sometimes these blood machines levels can be off but it has nothing to do with the vet. i would appreciate the fact that the doctor was honest with me, and posponed the surgery. As for your kitten having a vaccine reaction, it does happen. I have never heard of a vet office forcing a client to vaccinate their animal, you have to take some if the responsibility. You signed a contract for one year and should have voiced all these concerns before you joined. Diid you expect to cancel your plan and not pay for services already performed???? Having an animal these days does require spending money and doing your research... They deserve it...