Bally Total Fitness / Fraud and cheating

Does anyone know how legally bining the BALLY FITNESS Contract is? Like many other people, my college-age daughter signed the Bally contract without realizing she was obligating herself to $26.00 for 3 years. She was also originally told she could put the membership on hold and just pay $10 per month, but that is no longer an option either. They told her she could cancel, but neglected to tell her there was a time limit (60 days, I think) to cancel. She just wanted to do a Pilates class that they subsequently discontinued. Is there any way out of this contact? Will her credit score be affected if she just stops paying?

Va

Comments

• Ne
      25th of Sep, 2008

It is completely binding unfortunately. I was a victim of this scam in 2001 and it did go on my credit report for 7 years, I only realized this when I tried to apply for credit and it came up. Bally's treats this like a "loan" its ridiculous. It was sold to a credit collection agency and they are still trying to collect the full amount although I only attended one month! I refuse to pay it specially since it is not in my credit report anymore.

• Ru
      12th of Dec, 2008

ALERT to anyone with a gym membership!! I was recently a victim of a theft at Bally Total Fitness in Beachwood, OH. I entered the gym at approximately 10 am on November 11th and when I returned from working out, my lock was completely removed from my locker and all of my personal belongings were stolen!! This included my house/car keys, cell phone, purse, gym bag and clothes. After scouring the locker room twice, I reported the incident to a less-than-empathetic employee at the front desk (and an even worse Manager!!). I could only remember the number to my bank, so I contacted them to report my debit card and check book stolen. I next contacted the police and they promptly arrived to take my report. By the time I made it home (approximately 90 minutes later), the thief had charged $8, 500 on my credit cards and written two checks totaling $1, 500!! Eight different merchants allowed this thief to use my credit cards that clearly stated 'PHOTO ID REQUIRED' on the backs of them!

I am writing to alert everyone of this crime and my terrible experience. Almost one month and approximately $10, 000 later, I am still not the same. I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. And the sad part is that the Detective handling my case does not seem motivated to catch the thief at all. He stated to me in our first conversation, 'I get 4 or 5 of these across my desk every week.' With such a poor attitude like that, he doesn't help my feelings of being victimized, violated, fear, frustration, etc.

I have not received any support or assistance from Bally Total Fitness. A contact in their corporate office stated that, 'this doesn't happen very often.' Since publicizing my story, I have met and heard of NUMEROUS people with similar experiences at Bally Total Fitness and other health spas.

So as the holiday season approaches and the economy continues to weaken, please be advised that the thieves are on the prowl. Please be careful and protect your personal belongings because Bally Total Fitness and others certainly ARE NOT!

CAUTION: DO NOT TAKE ANY VALUABLE ITEMS INSIDE THE GYM!!!

• Jd
      23rd of Jan, 2009

I was a member at the Ballys Total Fitness in Colorado Springs, Co and the same thing happen to me. I lost my wallet, rings, and watch. I really believe it was a staff person. Seriously the Gym is packed and how could no one walking in and out the locker room not see that someone was breaking into a locker. I did find a piece of my lock. It appeared to be cut. We I asked Staff if they had cut my lock they stated, they had open a lock for a member who claim to have lost thier key. The problem was that was my lock not this person. They should really ask to see ID once the locker is open to ensure that they are opening a true member's locker and not a thief.

• El
      26th of Mar, 2009

Numerous of times I’ve seen Bally’s staff using bolt cutters to cut open someone’s lock in the locker room. It’s really understandable if the lock belongs to you and somehow you can’t open your lock. My question is how do they know it really belongs to that particular member. These is the reason that I would not leave my wallet in the locker even though I use a lock.

Bally Total Fitness in Auburn, WA had outdoor pool with privet fencing around it; there were two gates with locks on them. Also there was a rehab center next door. The only way to get in the pool is through the locker rooms which obviously you need to check in at the front desk. In the summer of 2008 I was swimming with my 4 year old, I noticed a drunken lady walking in through the gate that supposed to be locked. I myself mentioned couple of times to the staff of Bally’s including a life guard that the lock is broken and strangers walk in any time they want to. At the end of the summer Bally’s still never fixed the fence lock. That same summer this lady went to get her things out of the locker & her car keys were gone, her things where still there. She ran outside & her car was gone too. She told me that she didn’t use lock; she had a gym bag w/clean cloth and keys on the bottom of that gym bag. Although she said she never used lock she just left her things in the locker. Not a smart thing to do, but still… I myself left my bag in an unlocked locker and thank God nothing was stolen. I learned my lesson since.

• Do
      28th of Jun, 2009

While it seems like the only thing we can do is post on forums and complaint sites, this is not true! I think that everyone really needs to get together and try to bring this evil, immoral and corrupt company down. This is what I have done so far. Made copies of flyers and distributed it near colleges and even near Bally Total Fitness itself about my story. I also wrote an article about it online.

If the government won't do anything about it and if the Better Business Bureau won't do anything about it, no matter how many complaints they get, we have to take things into our own hands. I recently wrote an email to Michael Moore, the famous director and creator of award winning documentaries such as Sicko, Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 through his website at www.michaelmoore.com or you can email him directly at mike@michaelmoore.com.

I know that this is a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe if enough people write to him, he will pay attention to us. He is a brilliant man. I believe he's the kind of person that personally reads his emails and will help if he can!!! So try it!!! You have nothing to lose. Meanwhile, the main goal is to inform people. If you see someone getting lured into Bally's, try to stop them from going in. The more people that knows about this, the more Bally's will lose business. Once they can't save themselves, they will realize what they have done wrong to have flushed their entire corporation down the toilet.

~Peace.

• Fr
      1st of Dec, 2011

My name is Frank, on November 04, 2011 I went to Bally Fitness to pick up my wife ID that she forget to pick up after a visit. A Bally's employee told me that my wife would like to be a member. After a tour of the place, I decide to be a member. I also sign for a personal trainer which he talk me into. Its $89.00 1 time only. I found out later that Bally lied to me about my wife want to be a member. my wife said she don't want anything to do whit Bally. The next day I went back to Bally and cancel my member ship. They told me I need to send a written certified cancellation letter to Washington in which I did. Now Bally is still taking money out of my bank account. plus Bally send a bill for another 89.00 for personal training. Me and my wife never used any of Bally's equipment or a personal trainer. I tried to call Bally which was a wast of time.