Backyard Masters / Lacking customer service!
My husband and I decided to get our first pool. I am an avid swimmer so I was thrilled to actually own a pool of my own. We embarked on this journey and we quickly decided that we would like a Doughboy pool because of its reputation. When we first went pool shopping we realized that this industry was a little cut throat and reminded us of the unpleasant task of buying a car. Nonetheless we decided on the “Diamond” 12x24 pool and made our purchase paid in full on June 5, 2007 at our local retailer Backyard Masters in Farmingdale, New York who are considered a “PREMIER DOUGHBOY DEALER”.
We were very please with our purchase that day. We thought our salesperson, Doug, was informative and very pleasant. In fact a few days later we had an installation problem. The price was $500 more. When I spoke to Sherry on June 9th not only did she contact the installation company for me to resolve the installation price. That was quickly solved. She also told me that day “she was looking at my pool” and “that it had already came in and it would be delivered on the following Friday”.
On June 14, I received a call from Backyard Masters. I was waiting for the person on the other end to tell me the delivery times of my pool for the following day. I was completely shocked when then told me, “Mrs. Louzeiro we received your pool today but Doughboy sent the Desert Spring instead of the Diamond. But the good news is that it is the same price”. I then asked if she was joking but I was so upset that I hung up on her. Never did I receive a call back from anyone nor a manager expressing their regret. So I cooled off and call back to talk to a manager.
That is what brings me to write this letter. I had a very interesting conversation with Dean, the manager at Backyard Masters. After I hung up the phone I decided to do some research on your company and product. Dean told me the following:
1. That the Diamond was last years model (2006)
2. They ordered the Diamond but Doughboy just sent the Desert Spring because its same quality and same pool just a different look
3. Sherry did not actually see your pool she was looking at an acknowledgment of the order that Doughboy sends
4. Its Doughboy’s “HOT” season so therefore they are not going to go out of their way to fix their mistake. You know people from California are not like us in New York they move at a different pace
5. It was too late to order the pool that day cause it was 6pm eastern time and in California because of the time change everything is closed
6. If you are going to put a deck around it then it doesn’t matter which pool you get
My problem with these points are:
1. I called Doughboy and they told me that the Diamond is in the 2007 catalog
2. I find it hard to believe that a big company such as yours would give a customer an option of styles but then send the one they want instead
3. Also if Doughboy really screwed I am sure that they would do something to rectified the mishandling and communication of the order
4. I am a pretty educated woman and you don’t really have to be that educated to know that California Pacific is 3 hours earlier than eastern time. So I think that 3:00pm was ample time to call doughboy and order the pool that day!
5. When I called Doughboy the woman on the line told me that Doughboy use to be in Calfornia 6 years ago.
I feel that Dean completely under minded me and definitely underestimated me. They should be more humble and apologize for their mistakes. At no time did I feel anyone there was apologetic about my situation. Never did they consider doing anything to make good on this. I had to reschedule my installation, my dumpster, my landscaper and my contractor because of this ridiculous and unnecessary error, which apparently was Doughboy fault! In fact the following day after speaking with Dean, we never receive a call telling us if our pool was order as promised. I considered canceling my order but I was annoyed that there only one other retailer in my area that carries Doughboy and they said the wait time was about 2 weeks. Backyard Master promised to have the pool to me by June 23rd which would was quicker.
I finally got my pool a little sooner than I was told. Its in now. I feel that the accessories that the pool came with was a little cheap. A tube split and need replacing within a month. We spent $500.00 on the electricity of the pool and that was my husband doing it himself. Definitely was an experience that left me not ever wanting to do again.