Island Recreational Logo

Island Recreational

Having problems with Island Recreational?

1059 Hicksville Road
Fri9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sat9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sun9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

blue torrent pool heat pump

I would give them zero stars if possible. It is my opinion that this is a disreputable company and handle...

variable in ground 3hp pool pump

Issue with 3hp variable speed pump under warranty. Pump could not be fixed. They were to replace pump but didn't have a 3hp pump so gave. Us a loaner 2hp pump. Said the 3hp pump would be in in mid june 2019. Since we dropped pump off the 26th of may we agreed. Been to store 3 times to inquire since no 1 ever answers phone or they give us the run around if they do. Now they tell us maybe end of july. This store is very poorly run. We just want our 3hp pump. It is under kaminski phone number [protected]. We have been a customer for many years and spend a ton of money there. Please respond we don't want to start action that can be avoided. Thanks... Tom

pool purchase

Must read this review before shopping here... I went to island recreational to purchase a pool. I picked out...

they sent me wrong pool and didn't inform me about it in advance

I have ordered discounted pool from the company Island Recreational. I paid for the order and delivery, but it turned out that the order was already unavailable. The seller without my agreement sent me wrong pool and decided to make a gift for me and informed that I would get free pool installation. I was shocked, because the pool didn’t look the same as I wanted, and the shape was wrong. But the seller refused to cancel the deal, because the delivery man was on his way. Horrible company.

pools are from asia china

I was told by the Island WRECK rep (as one customer called them) that they get their pools from Asia/ China!...

worst business practice

I purchased a pool from Island Recreational, 61 E. Sunrise Highway, and Lindenhurst, NY 11757. They required a $100 deposit to hold the price which I have paid by check and they also required you to join their VIP Shoppers Club Agreement for $100 which is applied to this VIP 'club' which was paid by MC. Also on April 5, I was required to pay the pool in full in the amount of $4720.78 which I paid with my MC. This price including their 'White Glove Installation' which is a 3rd party company they use to install and weekly maintenance of the pool. We were then told 'We use this company to avoid installation problems.'. I asked why the pool could not be delivered sooner since I came in with a newspaper ad that said 'Memorial Day Installation' but I was told because we were having a fence and deck included, that could not be done by Memorial Day.

On approximately April 21, 2006 they sent a site inspector to our home to look at the yard and provided a delivery date of May 30 and install date of June 15, 2006. At that time, we were provided the Atlas Site Survey (attached) with delivery date of May 30 and the installation date of June 15.

On approximately June 5, we were called at our home and told we MUST come to the store and pay upfront for the sand for the bottom of the pool or scheduling will be delayed. We went to the store on June 6 and paid $65.17 with MC. We were told that the sand would be delivered the day before the pool installation, therefore on June 14. My husband waited for six hours for them to come with the sand to our home. We received no sand or no phone call to say that the sand was not being delivered. My husband then called their ONLY number [protected] for all their stores and after being hold for close to 40 minutes they said 'we called your home earlier today to inform you that your installation date has been cancelled.' The only call we got on that day which my father in law took while my husband went to get our children at school said 'Are Ben or Donna home?' My father in law said 'No' and they said 'Ok, we'll call the cell number we have.' They never said who was calling, what firm or what it was regarding. Only after process of elimination we assumed that the caller must have been Island Recreational. We never received a call on our cell...we have the cell phone records to show we received no call.

Additionally, their 'White Glove' workers have been at our home two times to clean the pool and said 'oh we're not surprised to see no pool installed, we see this all the time. This is very typical.'

I went to the store the weekend of June 17 to ask why 1) we had not been called and 2) why the installation had been delayed. I was told 'we called, we left a message' and due to the weather dates were pushed back.

Since the policy is a customer can have a cash refund if it is less than 60 days from the date of the delivery of the pool, I requested they pick up their pool and issue me a refund. The pool was delivered in our driveway on May 30 and sits the way they left in the driveway and we covered it with a tarp.

I went directly to the Lindenhurst store on Sunday, June 25 to get the refund in writing. 1) They do not provide the customer with anything in writing to get a refund. The filled out an internal form to get a pick up date and indicated it would probably be next week sometime maybe the end of the week of June 30 maybe the following week. and said I will be called tomorrow (Monday, June 26) with the exact date. I indicated that those dates were not acceptable because I need my refund to buy a pool from a different company. At 8:00 p.m. on June 26, when I had not heard from them about a pick up date, I called their only number and was told the 'store' had to provide a date not the 'main office' but they said the store would call me in a few moments. Sure enough, two minutes later, 'Tom' called to say the only date was next week probably Tuesday but I said that was not acceptable and I wanted a date this week. Also Tuesday, would be July 4 and I assume no one would work on that date. We've not heard back from them yet on a delivery date.

I called yet again tonight at 8:45 p.m. was put on hold and when a woman answered and I told her my whole story, she said 'oh you don't have installation let me transfer you.' At that point, I was put back into their answering service and put on hold waiting for installation'suddenly at 9:00 a recording came on to say 'the store was closed and I would have to call back.'

At this point, I want the 3 charges of $100, $65.17 and $4720.78 disputed until this is resolved to my satisfaction. To have to wait 4 months from the time they charged my account for this pool and the date of installation to come and go, I want a refund. I no longer feel this is an acceptable business practice and I should have been given a date of pickup 1) either in the store on Sunday, June 25 or 2) received the call on Monday, June 26 as they indicated.

Lastly, what I should have done first was check with the Better Business Bureau, as they have 76 complaints from customer all with similar complaints. This seems to be their regular business practice. I also have spoken to several people who had problems that were similar but some of the pools sat in their yards for more than 60 days and could not get a refund so they had to wait almost an entire summer before their pools were installed. I do not want to wait until the summer is over which is why we purchased our pool in April, plenty of time for delivery and installation.

This is by far the worst business practice that I've seen and they are allowed to operate this way.

igotjipped

Worse than organized crime. Charge for work not provided, Falsify documents like professional con artists. Stay away from this company, unless you don’t mind unsavory characters coming to your home or near you family.
They hire sub contractors with no background check. My pool lady not only has poor grooming she curses like and obviously on drugs (looking for a place to rent, ask if she could stay in my empty garage, even the police would not find her there. ????)
Call to complaint to no avail. Poor customer service. Once you paid they have nothing to do with you. Managers Eric, West or Nick are all trained the same way: “THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS WRONG, ONLY STUPID PEOPLE DO BUISNESS WITH US”.

• Mi
    mike petrizzo Aug 13, 2013

What good are all these complaints if nothing is done about it. Why are these people able to get away with these unfair practices. Why does'nt Consumer Affairs or the Better Business Bur. do something about it. After all that is your job to protect the people. Get after Island Rec. and make them clean up their act.

solar panels

We fell for the solar panel deal. Did you? We are still waiting, almost 2 years after we bought the system...

speck e90-1 above ground pool pump

I purchased a speck E90-1 above ground pump that was advertised as a 1.5 HP which turned out to be a .75 HP...

rip off on pool

I bought a pool from them and the pool was installed by Champlain a company they Hired to install the pool. Within the first season the side walls blew out cause the pool was not properly install with the center straps that hold the pool together. Dealing with the management was a nightmare after complaining in front of customers they finely sent the pool installers back to fix the walls and the Deck that was also installed incorrectly. when they showed up they cut the liner and around the skimmer and return was already starting to rusting . They told me it was leaking behind the wall and the skimmer and return was not installed correctly in witch I then told them Their company installed .They sprayed it with rustolum that they ask me to purchase, Now the rust is growing through the wall and the Store is telling me It is not their problem . This pool is done after the 3rd season . There is other pool companys out their . Before you buy Just stand near costumer service and listen to their costumer complaints . Ask them for there Phone # to the Store and see them sckworm they will only give you a # that goes to No-ware . Then you have to go back to the store in frustration . Google THE STORE NAME Complaints and see what others are saying about this Company !

Resolved fraudulent charges and unauthorized use of my credit card!

I have been a member of Island Recreation for twenty years and have always been telling others about the great deals for members. You are charged $100 for a membership per year and you receive $110 of "Credit Checks" to be used throwout the membership year. Your charge card is automatically charged each year at the renewal time for re-membership. This worked well until this year.On 4-07-06 I visited the store to buy a cover pump. I received $110 in checks and used $38.01 to purchase the pump. I received a receipt stating that $61.99 credit remained and my membership expired on 12-2006.
The following was not discovered until Jan of 2007 after I received a mail notice that Island Rec would no longer have a membership fee for customers beginning Jan 2007. I found to my horror that I was being charged to my visa account the following.
Membership fee charged to my Visa account on 9-28-06 again although my previous membership expired on 12-06.
Membership fee charged to my Visa account on 11-03-06.
Membership fee charged to my Visa account on 12-21-06.
It may be advantageous to check your credit card account for any fraudulent charges and unauthorized use of your credit card for membership fees to Island Recreational. I have to date found that two co-workers have also found numerous additional unauthorized charges to their credit card by Island Recreational. Currently the charges are in dispute through Visa and I am awaiting credit to my account.
Where their are three instances of abuse there are likely many more. I would scrutinize my credit card bills if I were you. It's ironic to find out just now that this web site is charging $5.00 to post this complaint. They accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover cards!

• Hu
    hunter66 Mar 29, 2009

I used to work for Island Recreational and the company billed people whenever they wanted mainly in the winter time to bring in money during the slow part of the season. They keep saying it was a computer error but billed people three times at once and than they wait forever to refund you back the money because they have it sitting in an account earning interest on your money. I have warned people don't shop there and if you have to use cash

• Ro
    Roy DeSetto Mar 18, 2010

I Have dealt with Island recreation for about 20 years and although the massapeque store is understaffed and dont have knowledgable sales people I always get good buys from them> This week I went to the deep park store for a pool the ad stated they only had 1 left of my size for 18x33 pool for unbelievable price off $899 thats about 5 or 6 hundrew cheaper then that pool normally So I went there expecting the old sales scam saying we are out of those clearence pools but we do have the more expenve ones I was ready for a long arguement when I entered I spoke with Tom F. to my surprise he showed me 4 18x33 pools for $899 he told me what ones was the best buy got the pool but it wassnt $899 plus tax it was $829 plus tax I was so Happy with the professional and friendly way Tom treated me and my wife he couldnt have been more knowledgable andf nicer I thought I was going to leave there with pool spending about 2 grand but instead I left spending $1200 on pool, ladder, upgrade liner, 2 chair float(normally 89.99) I got them for 29.99, Steps to stqand on while vacuming, a top of the line pool alarm, and a vacum head. I am writing this cause people always write when they have a problem with store they very seldom write their good time and service they get Tom F.althought he was alone on the floor showed me a different side of island recreation they should have more like him. Also I had a little mix up with my pickup of poolo and Maxs, I think he is one of the managers, from deer park returned my call in about 1 hour and he was more then helpful in fixing my problem. Tahnk you Roy DeSetto

the worst business practice that I have ever seen