Babies R Us / Return Policy Contradiction

1 Cerritos, CA, United States Review updated:

Babies R Us stores contradict their official return policy posted here: http://www5.toysrus.com/guest/storPoliGuarantees.cfm

Our unpleasant experience:
We received a car seat from our registry that did not fit our car. We did not receive a gift receipt for it, which caused no immediate concern as it was on our registry. Before visiting Babies R Us to exchange it for one that fits, I researched the above return policy to ensure a smooth transaction. The above policy clearly indicates the acceptability of, and even procedures for, returning items without a receipt. Also, note that this particular car seat is an "R Us Exclusive", meaning that only Babies R Us sells it. Moreoever, the car seat was manufactured only two months prior to this posting, demonstrating that it was purchased less than 90 days since.

Upon attempting to exchange the car seat, I was denied (and not politely). I was told that no returns or exchanges were permitted without a receipt - period - even after displaying the printed return policy to the contrary. I then called corporate customer service, who informed me that "we don't accept nothing without no receipt" (verbatim). I was then directed to a supervisor, who finally admitted that store managers can make "exceptions" to their (contradictory) no-receipt policy. Accordingly I asked for the store manager, who aggresively denied my return request.

At that point I invoked my own "squeaky wheel" policy, which motivated the manager to finally accept my return.

To sum up:
1) Do not trust any posted return policy from Babies R Us (and, by extension, try not to trust anyone at Babies R Us).
2) Do not register at Babies R Us.
3) If you continue to shop at Babies R Us, consider purchasing an addtional car seat to protect your purchase receipts.

Dr

Comments

• Al
      26th of Nov, 2008

I seem too see in that link that you posted, I see where it says "WE HAVE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY ANY RETURN WITHOUT A RECEIPT"

• Mo
      19th of Feb, 2009

I had a similar experience. I can't believe that BabiesRUs has such poor customer service!!! I also registered at BabiesRUs and had a huge shower where people spent probably over $2, 500 at that store. I received a couple of outfits that did not fit my son because he wouldn't be that size during that particular season, so I took them to the store and asked for an exchange (not even a refund). Since I did not have a gift receipt or receipt and the outfits weren't on my registry, they told me they could only exchange it for the exact same item. I went and found the outfits in a larger size for the exchange, but when I brought them back to the service desk, they told me the UPC codes were different for the different sizes of the EXACT SAME OUTFIT so they couldn't exchange them. I basically had to call a manager and throw a fit in the store to get them to exchange it. It was ridiculous! The outfits even had BabiesRUs tags still on them. I told the manager that I definitely would NOT register at BabiesRUs again and just got a lecture defending their return policy...Whatever! That is my pet peeve... Poor customer service! I will shop at Target from now on even though BabiesRUs is exactly 2 blocks from my house!

• Bo
      5th of Jun, 2009

Had the exact problem in Dublin CA. -
    Purchased a digital camera (should have known better)
    Opened the package to let granddaughter try it out - it was without question the poorest quality item I have ever seen.
    Will not even focus on a subject.
    Once the package is open you can only exchange for the exact same thing. (assuming you have the original receipt)
    How do you figure out how poorly something is made until you open it ?
    I do not ordinarily use credit cards however I wish I had in this case because I would have thrown it on the counter, walked away and contested the charge when the statement came.
    Maybe a few thousand other grandparents will read this and save themselves the hassle by NEVER entering a Toys R Us store.

19th of Jan, 2011

I agree, how are you suppose to know if the quality of the item purchased is what you expected? It is very poor customer servie to never allow money back if an item is opened! I purchased a baby monitor, opened it and found out the static and interferance was so bad in my very small house i couldnt even hear my daughter in the next room over! But obviously since it was an opened box they only allow you to exchange for the exact same item! Why in the world would you want to do that??? Very disappointed in Babies R US!