AT&T Wireless / fraud and scam

1 P.O. Box 60060-0017Bakersfield, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-331-0500

I have had a plan for many years with AT&T Wireless that includes rollover minutes - i.e. I have 900 minutes a month on the plan and whatever I don't use each month rolls over to the next month. I just realized that I have accumulated 4, 240 rollover minutes, so to save myself some money I decided to change to a cheaper plan with less minutes offered, at least until I used up the accumulated roll over minutes.

I called them to change my plan from $59.99/month (includes 900 anytime minutes) to the $39.99/month plan (includes 450 anytime minutes), but was told if I change my plan I will lose ALL of my rollover minutes except however many minutes the new plan offers. Which means I will go from having 4, 240 minutes to only having 450 minutes, effectively LOSING 3, 790 of my earned rollover minutes.

Obviously this totally defeats the purpose of changing to a lower priced plan. To me, this is a rip-off! I earned those rollover minutes and they should not be able to take them away from me.

Va

Comments

Va
  23rd of Jul, 2008

I have found numerous charges on my wireless bill, dating back to January 2007, by 2 separate third party companies. These charges total +/- $510.0. When i contact AT&T, i just get the run around. They will neither remove these charges, nor refund my money. After some research, i have discovered that i am FAR from alone.

Tl
  30th of Jul, 2008

We upgraded our wireless plan 9 months ago, around November 2007 and were told that the family plan that we were getting was good for our family of 5. We only had 3 phones but would need 2 more in the coming years and this plan was expandable. This was a 550 minutes plan that I was made to upgrade from a 600 minute plan that was cheaper but to add more phones I needed to go to this plan. Well, now I want to add more lines and they are telling me that I can't. That the plan is only for 3 lines. How many families do you know that only have 3 members. The company once again is trying to get more money and wants me to upgrade to another plan. I've spoken to at least 20 people at the company, from different support areas. At first I was told that this was not a problem that I could order the phone and just add it to my plan. I did this, I ordered the phone, I went to activate it and they said I couldn't add it to my plan that I would have to upgrade. I sent the phone back gave up. A month later I tried it online and it seemed to work, it let me order the phone with no problem and I called and they said it was not a problem. Again I received another phone. Again when I went to activate it they said I couldn't unless I upgraded. I've been working on this now for 2 months and finally was able to talk to someone up the chain and they are saying that I can't add another phone without upgrading. They basically switched the plans in mid stream because all of the other wireless companies are going to this format. When I said I guess I would have to switch, they didn't seem to care. Obviously, AT&T, is playing games and trying to get away with what they can.

I had AT&T long distant years ago and they didn't care about my plans back then, I had problems with their billing practices and I guess they haven't changed.

Bo
  18th of Nov, 2008

i live in greenville alabamazip 36037 itravel from greenville to troy alabama on a regular basis and from grrenville to troy alabama i have no service i have been a loyal customer since 2003 and i have been told each yaer yall were going to install additional towers to solve this problem why has this not been completed? i feel like we the consumers are being lied to. i fully intend to file a formal complaint with the fcc alabama service commission to maybe stop the abuse of consumers by att.

Do
  19th of Nov, 2008

I also have had AT&T for many years (I started with Cingular). I have always used autopay to make sure my bill was always paid on time. Recently I upgraded to 3 lines only to discover that my so called "rollover" minutes did not follow me. Now I have to start from scratch! You'd think they would show some appreciation. I'm on a 2 year contract but I when my time is up, I will probably go with someone else. Their loss!

Ve
  13th of Feb, 2009

AT&T wireless ATLANTA, GA customer service is terrible!!! The worse company. They renewed my contract for 2 more years because they said I activated a phone that I never received and will charge me $175 to break the contract. If you dont treat your customers right...sooner or later you will go under. You can never talk to the right person...they transfer you maybe 5-6 times in one phone call to them and you still don't get the correct answer. I realize hate is a strong word, but...I HATE AT&T

Ne
  8th of Apr, 2009

I completely agree that the rollover minute practices are incredibly unfair and in fact, should be illegal. I could see if the monthly bill were pro-rated and as such, you had been "advanced" minutes that they wanted to subtract upon your selecting a less expensive plan. But as you said, you already "earned' those minutes, most people aren't going to select a lesser-minute plan until at least three to four months of consistently under-using their current plan's minutes. Given the disparity between the plans, it is easy to accumulate 1000+ minutes in a fairly short period of time. It is almost certain then, that the customer will lose a significant amount of minutes upon selecting the lower rate plan. So then do you go ahead and change and lose minutes? Keep the same plan and talk as much as possible each day? Keep the plan, suck it up, and lose the minutes anyway as they expire on a rolling, twelve-month schedule??? That's pretty much it, unless of course, you're so frustrated that you want to switch carriers...which will also cost you because you're most likely still in contract and will have to pay an early-cancellation fee if you close your account... Another disconnect between the idea and the reality. Really great marketing ploy, lousy customer service practice.

Jp
  26th of Aug, 2009

I agree that rollover minutes should be transferable between adjustments in our contracts. However, it does clearly state in our coontracts that the rollover minutes will not transfer if you change your plan.

Ma
  2nd of Sep, 2009

I agree with the complaints on this board and would like for a lawyer to call me before my account goes into collections. I have paid several months of ATT Wireless bills and for a family plan of 5 I have been paying nearly $750.00 for unknown charges. My plan was for $100.00 for 2100 minutes and each phone had charges, but none that would add up to $750.00!

Every month was the same story and ATT did not have a reasonable explanation. They are also ripping people off with the early termination fee, which is clearly against federal laws. Please help me file suit against ATT Wireless Fraud and Scam with charges and illegal fees.

Maritza

At
  7th of Nov, 2009

Let me explain this to you guys... Lets say somebody decides to get a 3000 minute family plan for $149.99 for one month when they know darn well that they are only going to use 700 of those minutes. They've just accumulated 2300 rollover minutes and can now downgrade to the 700 minute plan for 69.99, that's an $80 difference in the plans, therefore only one month and maybe a half would pay for that difference and now they have a nice little nest egg of minutes. They've just cheated the system. THATS why the minutes are capped down when downgrading the plan

Bo
  7th of Jan, 2010

I agree. The rollover minutes are a total scam. They give them to you to make you feel like you are not losing minutes if you buy too big of a plan, but then they strategically keep them from ever being used.

1) If you add a person to your plan, you might start using those minutes. So they cancel them.
2) If you downgrade your minutes per month, you might start using those rollover minutes, so they cancel them.
3) Then, if somehow, a lot of people on a particular plan seem to be using the minutes up. They cancel that plan and force you into a change. Then they cancel your minutes because you changed.

The only way you CAN use the rollover minutes is by greatly increasing your talking time without adding a phone line or changing any features.

Ro
  1st of Apr, 2010

All the communication companies deliberately look for ways to scam their customers, knowing quite well that the government or any other regulatory branch will do little or nothing when they are swamped with endless complaints and held up by lobbyists that pay them to do nothing. It's literally a license to steal, since they are all mega sized companies and it would take too much effort to stop them, so we all suffer from their greedy way of doing business. The larger the company, the more they they can cheat the public and continue to operate with impunity. These companies have people just to figure how they can operate in a quasi illegal fashion just inside the law to inflate their bills and find all types of ways to add fees and charges unrelated to the service. They also add surcharges and internal fees to their own billing and claim it is outside or government charges and not theirs. The people that answer complaints are also trained to discourage callers and deny credits where ever possible. There are very few places the public can go to get satisfaction and they know this, which forces many of us to simply give up in frustration.

To
  26th of Aug, 2010

se to ruin it to me

Ka
  26th of Aug, 2010

Constant call disconnects, too. Notice the recent Consumer Report mag rating for AT&T; the very lowest in every single US market in every category (consumer complaints, disconnects, low/no signal, etc.)
I'm locked in for another year and going elsewhere cuz anything is going to be better!

Do
  6th of Nov, 2010

ATT didn't become a huge profitable company by being stupid. they take advantage of the fact that their customers have jobs (to pay for ATTs crap) and don't have time to read all the contract ultra fine print. I felt the same way others described when I upgraded to iPhones this week and was told I couldn't drop to a lower minute plan and consume my 7000 minutes. I decided to just move on. The only option was to go postal and bunk with Bernie Madoff!!!

Mi
  5th of Jan, 2011

AT&T has for the 2nd time, taken money from my checking account WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION!!! can we say ILLEGAL!!! It has caused bounced checks, outstanding overdraft fees, I've played nice for too long... been with AT&T since 2003. I think its time to contact a lawyer? Im seriously at my witsend with this!!! meanwhile the threat of my electrictity being shut off because of AT&Ts actions, I have to come up with additional $$$ to cover that!!! and I DONT HAVE IT!!! All AT&T can say is, We are sorry and we reversed the charges. I have yet to see it in my bank account! not to mention the overdraft fees they are responsible for!!!

La
  25th of Jan, 2011

After the 4th time of a messed up bill, I am done. I kept paying my phone bill and they kept calling me saying they would turn my phone off if I did not send them my monthly payment. Then 2 days later, I got a bill with a 312.00 credit on it! After going over the paper work, I found they were applying my payments to my internet acct. were I owed only 19.00 a month. Geez! Problem is, I was with them one time before and had the same problem. I went and switched to Simple Mobile with my Iphone. I refuse to pay them their early termination fee. I understand mistakes can be made, but like I said before, this is not the first time. The company is TERRIBLE!!