AT&T Home Entertainment / returned equipment

1 TX, United States Review updated:

I have sent back AT&T's equipment (receivers), confirmed their arrival at their warehouse in Texas, and now the receivers themselves have disappeared a month and a half later. Ironically they do have record of pulling the smartcards out of my receivers at the warehouse, but someone "neglected" to log the receivers into their computer. I received a collections notice for the receivers a month and a half later. I called AT&T and they immediately asked for a UPS tracking number...before I even had a chance to explain that on my AT&T account they admit to receiving my boxes and pulling the smartcards out of them over a month and a half ago. The issue is not that AT&T did not receive my boxes (that issue would be cleared up with a tracking number) but that they received them and failed to properly log the contents at their warehouse.<br />
<br />
That made me wonder. The, "what is your tracking number", question came out so fast and so automatic. So I did an Internet search on AT&T complaints and found several that matched my issue, including some people who had thrown away their tracking number already because in some cases months had passed since they confirmed with UPS that their package arrived safe and sound at AT&T's warehouse. I "gently" explained to AT&T that if I provide them with my tracking number their contention will be that I "removed the smartcards myself and only sent those back". Somehow I guess I have found a way to turn their receivers into planter boxers or something:)<br />
<br />
I am getting the impression that AT&T sends out a blanket statement / collections notice to a random sample of their customers hoping to land on their former customers who cannot "fight" the allegation that they did not send something back. I am to understand that "fighting" this allegation is to provide a UPS tracking number. Period. What is even better is that they let a considerable amount of time elapse between when the equipment was returned and when the collection notices go out, therefore decreasing the chance that someone kept their tracking number. <br />
<br />
It would be a great scam...the customers they affect are already former customers, time is the customer's worst enemy when it comes to trying to prove they sent back something, and UPS recycles tracking numbers (so even if you are able to provide this proof you may find yourself "recycled" two months or more removed from your shipment date). <br />
<br />
Have you experienced one of the following regarding your equipment returns to AT&T:<br />
<br />
1. Received a collections notice a month or more after you confirmed shipment.<br />
2. Received a notice from AT&T claiming that your equipment never arrived.<br />
3. Received a collections notice from AT&T that you could prove false by providing a UPS tracking number<br />
4. Received a collections notice from AT&T that you could not prove false because you do not have a UPS tracking number.

Comments

26th of Nov, 2007
    AT&T Home Entertainment - Racketeering
    AT&T
    Hollywood
    California
    www.attheonline.com/

Company Charged me $88O.OO for my equipmant that I had returned 6 month ago (which they acknowldeged). They keep stalling and forgetting that I had returned the equipment in hopes that I will juct forget that they owe me money. I have been calling them monhtly for the past 6 months, they always say they will send me (after whoever I speak with confirms I am owed the money). No check is ever mailed, and everytime I call, I have to reexplain the situation and they have to recheck with their warehouse, confirm they have the equipment and give the the run aound...

This company has done the same thing to my neighbors, i am debating whether or not to hire a lawyer.

Scam!!! stick with a reputable cable company.

• Un
      6th of Aug, 2008

I gotta agree. Run a 100 miles to avoid. I'm getting the run-around from the call center. They missed their first appointment to hook me up. They finally come out to hook it up when I'm not there and leave w/ it not working. Calls go round and round. This evening they finally offered to send someone out while I'm at work but want me to wait all day. When I finally said enough - cancel it, they tell you that you owe them. So get this - they want me to pay for a service that has never worked. On top of that I get a attitudal african american woman. I have a "supervisor" who cannot figure out to prorate 10 days of non-working service so she too wants me to pay for a full month. On top of it she won't divulge the managers last name and will not divulge the name of the supervisor over the manager. It is an incredible run-around.

I'm sending them an e-mail in hopes of trying to straighten it out, but there's a principle involved here in not paying for something that's not worked. As the previous suggested. Run from this service unless you absolutely have to use them.

• To
      27th of Oct, 2008

ATT HE Sucks. I disconnected service on December 1 of 2007. They still have me active after I sent them 3 copies of my rental lease changes, and many phone calls. Now I have a collections agency. GET A LAWYER!!!

Tom

• Ti
      8th of Oct, 2009

Why is it that at 11:15 a.m. everyday the cable has to download? And if I don't let it, later on during the day it will download anyway weather I'm watching some thing on tv or not.Does it have to do this everyday at the same time and if so why? you can contact me at 262-914-4522. Thank you peggy tippett

26th of Oct, 2009

Received a collections notice a month or more after you confirmed shipment.

2. Received a notice from AT&T claiming that your equipment never arrived.

The above statements are repeating. ###ing ATT Uverse. They are real Idiots wasting peopls time

• Jj
      2nd of Feb, 2010

Similar problem. Unfortunately, I do not have the tracking number. This is crap. They didn't even ###ing call me to warn me before filing a collection. My credit is ###ed right now. I'd be really interested in filing a class action.

• Pa
      17th of Mar, 2010

AT&T Fraud ? Interesting. Today I ask myself the same Question about them. My complaint with them is actually small and I think it may have been solved in one phone call. I still wonder though about AT&T customers in general. How many of their customer would notice an extra charge of $5.67. That is what they are charging for a late charge these days.
    Because of their DUE DATE and LATE after Date my bill which is paid electronically is always paid 8 to 10 days before the LATE DATE. ALWAYS! Now I ask YOU / AT&T how I can be singled out for a late charge. The bill in question was Paid 10 days ahead of time. Was this an HONEST mistake? I wonder or is it a numbers Game. To sum this up. The Rep from AT&T "suggested" that to avoid another LATE FEE that I go ahead and pay it and wait for Credit.
    I paid the bill Minus the late charge. Yes, it is only $5.67 but what is it say times 10, 000 or 20, 000, or more.
    Yes, I am suspicious of big companies.
    What do you think.