Asurion is also tied up with Verizon. Here is my situation:
1. A couple of months ago, I had problems with my phone and noticed that my battery was causing problems as well (but nothing major).
2. I went into the Verizon store and then requested a new phone. i wasn't charged anything for the new phone because I was paying about $7/month as a part of my insurance. However, when I got the phone, I didn't get a new battery. Apparently, they don't consider a battery to be the part of the phone. RED FLAG #1 to be alert about.
3. A month passed by and my battery started acting up and I went back to Verizon and let them know that I didn't get a new battery with my phone and now Verizon also states that "The battery is not a part of the phone and when you get a replacement for the phone, you don't get a battery." Holy Cow. This country is rotten shameless.
4. Now I call Asurion who is the insurance provider and ask them to replace my battery since Verizon was charging me $50 for a new one. Asurion says, "since battery is not a part of the phone, it is not covered by our insurance."
At this point I was pretty pissed off @ both Verizon and Asurion. Verizon offered me a 25% discount for being a loyal customer, but I think I am going to wait a month and when my contract expires, I will try and do a power play on them to see if they give me a free battery.
If not, I would love to do the following:
1. Go into a verizon store and take off the battery from a phone and put it in my phone and walk away. If they catch me at the door, I would love to respond with, "hey the battery is not a part of the phone now is it?" :)
Don't we hate insurance companies.