Asurion Insurance Services / scam and cheating

United States Review updated:

On 10/26/2008 I filed a claim with Asurion for a Nextel mobile phone that I lost. I was assured that the phone was in stock and would be shipped on promptly. I had to call their toll-free number because their website did not let me file a claim.

After the claim was filed I continued to check the claim status on their website which every day said 'Check back in 24 hours' so finally on 10/29/2008 I called the toll free number and I was assured my phone was shipped and I should get it that same day. When it did not arrive I called back on 10/30/2008 and was told that all the past agents had lied to me and the phone had NOT BEEN SHIPPED, it was backordered for '10-15 days.'

When I asked for the CEO by name I was sent to another department. I was finally told that I should purchase a new phone and I would be reimbursed in '2-4 weeks.' Now my problem is I have no way to trust a company that has already lied to me. I am in goodfaith going to do as the agent suggested but I want to let everyone know what this company's business practices are.

Comments

Re
  3rd of Jun, 2009
I tried to file a claim for a damaged phone and was told that the deductible was $125. This was a fact that ATT did not disclose when they sold me the insurance. Had I known, I would not have gotten the insurance.
It turns out the cost of the insurance deductible and the premiums paid to date are more than the cost of the replacement phone.
The ATT insurance is a total SCAM, and the business plan of the Asurian "claims service" group is not to pay any claim, or to make the claim payment so expensive that it becomes another revenue stream for ATT. I finally abandoned the claim, canceled the insurance, and when my contract expires, I intend to change to Verizon or Sprint. Too bad, after 10 years with ATT. Bad customer care and relations. SCAM.
Re
  3rd of Jun, 2009
Revised complaint:
After leaving numerous messages, I finally reached a rep. I settled my claim for an older model phone with a lower deductible. Still not satisfied with the non disclosure by ATT, and the price of deductible.
St
  1st of Oct, 2009
Really Asurion is repairing my playstation three. . They are the third party insurance company for my extnded warrranty. My playstation goes to the one in smyrna, tn.I can really relate to what everyone is saying about Asurion because this is the FIFTH repair they have made for the same problem. I
Am
  12th of Oct, 2009
Asurion is also tied up with Verizon. Here is my situation:
1. A couple of months ago, I had problems with my phone and noticed that my battery was causing problems as well (but nothing major).
2. I went into the Verizon store and then requested a new phone. i wasn't charged anything for the new phone because I was paying about $7/month as a part of my insurance. However, when I got the phone, I didn't get a new battery. Apparently, they don't consider a battery to be the part of the phone. RED FLAG #1 to be alert about.
3. A month passed by and my battery started acting up and I went back to Verizon and let them know that I didn't get a new battery with my phone and now Verizon also states that "The battery is not a part of the phone and when you get a replacement for the phone, you don't get a battery." Holy Cow. This country is rotten shameless.
4. Now I call Asurion who is the insurance provider and ask them to replace my battery since Verizon was charging me $50 for a new one. Asurion says, "since battery is not a part of the phone, it is not covered by our insurance."
At this point I was pretty pissed off @ both Verizon and Asurion. Verizon offered me a 25% discount for being a loyal customer, but I think I am going to wait a month and when my contract expires, I will try and do a power play on them to see if they give me a free battery.

If not, I would love to do the following:
1. Go into a verizon store and take off the battery from a phone and put it in my phone and walk away. If they catch me at the door, I would love to respond with, "hey the battery is not a part of the phone now is it?" :)

Don't we hate insurance companies.

Asurion Logo Asurion