Assurant Health / Fraudsters and cheaters

1 El Paso, TX, United States Review updated:

I took out a short-term policy with Assurant because they had (on their website) great mental health coverage, that included Attention Deficit Disorder, which I thought that I had. I went to a psychiatrist to have an ADD screening. As soon as I start receiving care and medication for it, they changed their tune on everything.

My doctor had been trying to receive payment for my initial visit for 3 months, they said they wouldn't pay it because they believed it was a pre-existing condition, and they told my doctor that. When I called, they said that nothing to that effect was written in my file, and there were no notes that said anything about that.

So I went to my doctor and I paid her out of pocket (and had been paying for all of my prescriptions out of pocket as well) and I had never received a single benefit...EVER. I called again and I was assured that everything was fine and that they should file the claim again. It went back and forth for a couple of weeks.

They still denied the claim. When I called, they told me that 'they don't recognize ADD as a condition in adults' and that it was stated in my policy packet. With short term policies, they never even send you a paper packet in the mail. It's all on their website and you access it with your policy number. It's not secure, there isn't even a password to protect your policy information. There is no way for you to really know if you're looking at the same information that you were looking at when you originally took out the policy, so it's easy for them to change it and back it up. Call me paranoid, but it's a bit unsettling.

They also told me that if I had symptoms of ADD in the past, even if I wasn't diagnosed with it, that it would be viewed as pre-existing and it would not be covered.

I canceled my policy with them, but they made sure to take out their next payment before they canceled it, even though I asked them to cancel it before the date that they deducted it from my bank account.

I would be very cautious if you ever decide to take out a policy with them. Actually, I just wouldn't take one out. :)

Va

Comments

• Mi
      4th of Nov, 2008

I too suffer from ADD, and unfortunately Assurant is right in the way that ADD is something we are born with. It doesn't pop up overnight. However, my beef with Assurant is that although they add a disclaimer at the end of their commercials that the product is "not available in all states", they still insist on advertising in those very states! This comes across to me as fraudulent or misleading advertising.

• Bo
      20th of Jun, 2009

It clearly states in the policy that pre existing conditions are not covered. it also states the definition of a preexisting condition. They will send you a paper policy if you request one however all of them are exactly the same by state so what is online is accurate.

I have been with Assurant for over 12 years as an agent and policy holder and the have done a very good job for me. Short term policies are only meant to the as they say, for a Short term. All companies have similar exclusions and none that I know of including Humana and Aetna would have covered it either.

I always advise my clients of the exclusions and have them sign that they have read them so there are no misunderstandings.

John Alden Lifa and Assurant Health is one of the 3 largest providers of individual and group health insurance in the US.

I can tell tell you many stories where they have paid a claim when they shouldn't have and other companies would have stuck to the letter of the policy.

• Rr
      28th of Aug, 2009

thats not true, they are awful at paying claims. I signed an agreement with my insurance underwriter company that said a prexisitng condition was "a symptom occuring within the 12 month period prior to coverage and treatment within that same 12 month period is pre-existing and will not be covered. I was treated 5 years ago for asthma and they will not pay my claim also i have GERD and they are saying that is pre-existing to gallbladder removal! my doctor reasearched it and sent them a letter stating that that was not true and they called it pre-existing still! I WILL NEVER BUY A POLICY FROM THEM AGAIN.

• Mo
      7th of Oct, 2009

If Boone thinks Assurant is so great then why do they have an F Rating with the BBB?

My young healthy family of 3 pays almost $400 per month for our Assurant Health policy and when I went for my first gyno exam(after the required 6 mo. waiting period) they did not pay a penny for the visit or the lab. I was out of pocket over $200. Seems to me I would be better off paying the doctor visits out of pocket than giving Assurant $400 per month and the deductibles are outragous. The agent who sold us the policy mislead us. I'm going to cancel my policy and shop around for something more sensible.

• Mr
      21st of Oct, 2009

My grandfather just got a bill from them saying he owes them money for his benefits. He has NEVER bought, sought, or even heard of the company prior to receiving this bill. He has an excellent plan of his own from the U of A where he retired from. I started doing some digging and there are literally hundreds of sites with people saying the very thing everyone except Boone is complaining about. Boone you have a very biased opinion considering they sign your paycheck.
    I'm not even a 'policy' holder and I already would warn anyone against getting one. Total scam.

• Ti
      11th of Mar, 2010

I currently have an insurance plan with Assurant and have a total family deductible of $7000. I recently contacted Assurant to make changes to the policy. I was looking to lower the deductible to $3000 for the family. I had to resubmit an application for coverage, which had to go through underwriting, and was denied because I recently went to the Gynecologist complaining of abdominal pain and was advised that I needed a sonogram to check for Endometriosis, which I apparently had when I was pregnant 5 years ago and was not aware that I had it, it was removed with my c-section. I have not had any problems with Endometriosis and turns out the new birth control pill that I am on (YAZ) has been causing me the abdominal pain, the sonogram came back negative. My daughter went to her doctor for problems with snoring, she is 5. Her doctor sent her to an ENT who suggested to remove her tonsils. While we were waiting for the surgery to be scheduled she suddenly stopped snoring and the problem has since corrected itself. We have not been back to the ENT since the first visit which it has been a year now. I was just told by Assurant "The insurance company can't risk a surgery for your daughter and we can reevaluate in a year or two". The total cost of the surgery was $4000. I was so furious I just hung up on her. My total lifetime benefits are $25, 000, 000 and they have paid $0 in the last 14 months that we have had the policy because we have never met one of the $3500 per person deductibles. I am going to cancel them as soon as I find other coverage. The problem is people are afraid to go to the doctor for fear that something might be wrong, not because of their health but because their insurance premiums will increase.

• Da
      1st of Dec, 2010

I too have assurant. I have had it for 8 years. It started out at 200 a month for me and my husband. It is now 822 it increases ever year. Also as soon as I have met my deductible for the year. I have also used my maximum benefits for the year. They are absoulutly useless. I don't understand how they get away it.

• Re
      17th of Dec, 2015

I paid a very high premium for 18 months and they did not cover anything. I am now about $20, 000 in debt to a hospital because my wife had to have an emergency surgery. DO NOT use this provider. You will be better off paying tax penalties and putting your money in the bank. VERY DISAPPOINTED.