Asset Acceptance / Crooks

Received a notice from AA that there were giving me a huge break on a $6000 debt they say I owe from CITIBANK. I have never done business with Citi. I have a current credit report in front of me. Nothing on it relating to Citi either. But they want to settle for $1200. Do people really send these *** money? Financial companies are ripping us off legally (yet unethically). How can these companies make up false debts and actually get away with it? I'm pissed. Mostly because I know there are people out there who are getting screwed and paying these things without doing some homework.

Ed

Comments

• Sh
      3rd of Mar, 2010

A company does not "invent" debts, I can promise that fact. Citibank probably financed something you purchased years ago; treadmill, TV, etc. The account is probably not on your credit report either because you looked too soon (the account is new and the company has not had a chance to report it) or it is past the reporting life cycle (in which case it is likely way past the statute of limitations).

The most important thing is to pay attention to what an agency is telling you. Get them on the phone, especially if you are in a state that allows recording of calls without 2-party consent. Remember, you can record the call without their permission in the same states they are permitted to as long as you make them aware you are recording. The best way to do this is to repeat back to them what they say to you when they let you know the call may be recorded or monitored.

READ THE LAWS, READ THE LAWS, READ THE LAWS...every FDCPA violation a company commits is $1000 in your pocket. These companies write checks to people that complain because it usually costs them more to have an attorney appear on their behalf as well as the time lost sending staff to testify.