Aspen Dental / x-raying pregnant patients

Greenwald Way, Kissimmee, FL, United States Review updated:

Aspen Dental insisted that I be x-rayed at six months pregnant. They said without an x-ray they could not even clean my teeth. They said without the x-ray it was tough for them to determine the level of cleaning I would need. I said I was not comfortable with being x-rayed and that I just wanted a basic cleaning and I would return after my pregnancy for an more intensive visit. They said no x-ray, no cleaning. I cannot believe the incompetency and the ignorance of such a practice and I would run like hell or pull out my own teeth before I would ever return or refer anyone to them. What a joke of an establishment...

Jl

Comments

• Se
      18th of Jul, 2014

No dental x-rays reach the fetus. Even the College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists agree on this. X-rays to the mouth just cannot make right angle turns and hit a fetus. Jet flights dose the fetus with radiation, dental x-rays do not.

That being said, I often bend the rules and do a complete exam without x-rays before the cleaning for a pregnant patient, but refuse to see them again after their pregnancy unless I can have current x-rays.

Have your teeth cleaned is NOT like having your car washed.