Aspen Dental / failure to discolse information and charged for 1st visit

WilkesBarre, PA, United States Review updated:

I went to Aspen dental because I was having a problem with a tooth and I had just joined a benefit plan and they were on the list. It was my first vistit there and and they had a sign in the window free exam and x-rays for new patients. The dentist looked at the tooth in question and took an xray and told me to go to an endodontist. To my shock I was charged $89.00! fo a 3 minute exam. I paid the vist not thinking because I was overwhelmed with the result and being a widow and having no dental insurance I knew this other dentist would be a large bill. However, I went back the next day to inquire as to why I was charged being a new patient . I was told it was because I had only 1 tooth looked at and not the entire mouth. I explained that I was NEVER informed that I could get my entire mouth examined for FREE and I had to pay for ONE tooth. They were more or like "too bad". Had I known, I would have had my entire mouth looked at. No proceedures were done on the tooth. I went to work and found out that my co-worker had the SAME tooth problem as I did, however hers was FREE because she was also a new patient and had her ENTIRE mouth x-rayed. I believe this is blatent "lack of FULL disclosure" and I should be refunded my visit price of $89.00 because had I known I would have opted for the FREE exam and they would have found the problem anyway with the exam. I informed them I would lodge a complain and go to the BBB and corporate office.

Nd

Comments

• Al
      8th of Feb, 2010

nddayle,

I just spoke with our patient satisfaction team and we are very sorry to learn about your experience. We would be happy to refund your money. Please just send an e-mail to [protected]@aspendent.com and we will follow up with you regarding the details.

Allie

• Wi
      27th of Apr, 2011

I also went to Aspen Dental as a new patient because of the initial exam and xrays being "free", however because I am familiar with Insurance and "hidden fees" upon going in for my first appt, (I Have Dental Insurance) I asked and demanded that the first appt was free...I was told, if you have insurance we bill the insurance company but if you don't than we don't. I demanded that they don't bill the insurance for my initial exam and xrays, or I wouldnt be using them, and they did not bill my insurance or charge me anything. I do think Aspen should disclose this to the customer, due to my reasons as I have a yearly max with my insurance and those "free" charges do apply to the max the insurance covers yearly...!! I since have had extractions done and an intermediate denture made and put in...I am on week 6 and am hoping my permanant denture is made better than this intermediate one which from the beginning did and does not line up, and also is way to wide for my mouth, and pallett. Hoping I won't have to come visit this site again and make any complaints.