Aspen Dental / inappropriate dentist!

1 East Stroudsburg, PA, United States Review updated:

I took my 16 year old son for a crown placement on 3/27/08. The first crown the doctor, Sophia Rodrigues, broke while trying to place it over my son's tooth. They tried to repair it for two hours, without coming to the waiting area to tell me what was going on. Needless to say, I was upset, but I was not rude or disrespectful. On 5/15/08 during the second attempt with a new metal crown, Dr. Rodrigues complained to my son about me being upset during the last visit and made my son extremely uncomfortable as he has been raised not to talk with adults about other adults, especially not his own parents. The next day, I telephoned Dr. Rodrigues to tell her in the future should she have any complaints or concerns about me she should speak to me directly and not talk to my minor child. The doctor was incredibly defensive, snotty, and denied she said anything to my son. She also called me "unprofessional" (I don't know why she called me this as I was calling as a concerned parent not as a "professional").

Since my husband pays a lot in dental insurance, not to mention the out-of-pocket expenses we incurred, I will be complaining to CEO /President Robert Fontana. Not only will I never go there again, I will not bring my other children and I will tell my friends, family (hell even my enemies!) not to frequent Aspen Dental. Oh, since the second crown was made from the cheaper metal, we are due a refund from Aspen Dental. I anticipate a long drawn out battle to get this money as when I brought up the refund to the receptionist, she told me it would be better to just use it towards other dental services at Aspen. Yeah right.

In all my life, I have never encountered a dentist as rude, defensive and unprofessional as Dr. Rodrigues. According to my dental insurance website, she graduated from dental school in 2005. Perhaps she was absent the day they taught how to interact with children patients, and how to speak with their parents. NEVER AGAIN!

Al

Comments

• Je
      5th of Jun, 2008

You are correct to contact rfontana@aspendent.com to file your complaint. You may want to try contacting Amy Erwin at 1-800-965-6471 x1299 she is the patient services team leader and handles or forwards your complaint to where it should be and her email is aerwin@aspendent.com. Do not waste your time with any Regional Manager such as Kelly Marcinkewich because she is useless and doesn't do her job and you will not get anywhere with her. With any luck Robert Fontana will do something for you or have the right person get back to you to help you. This is ridiculous and needs to be stopped by this company Aspen Dental! I can't see this company being around long if this keeps happening with all the complaints people have.

• Ge
      17th of Oct, 2008

Getting ready to submit my own complaints against Aspen Dental in Haverhill MA.

• Da
      18th of Oct, 2008

Unlike Gerald, I have only good things to say about Aspen Dental in Haverhill. I am sure there is a reason Gerald has the issues he does!!!
    It is sad some people have so much trouble paying for their dental bills. My family and I are patients at the Aspen Dental Haverhill, MA and I think they are great. They have been very helpful and professional.
    I have read many different complaints, some seem valid and others seem like really pathetic people who have nothing better to do with their time. How about people take some sense of responsibility. If you took care of your teeth than you would not have really expensive dental bills!!! It is so sad people have this much time to lodge complaints and post comments, perhaps you should find something better to do with your time.

• Je
      9th of Feb, 2009

I totally disagree with Allison's complaint.

I have three children 4, 8 and 14 and I visited Aspen Dental in Stroudsburg, PA. fairly regularly between 2006 and 2008. Dr. Rodrigues had been our dentist for 2 years and was excellent. In fact, I went to Aspen based on the recommendation of a neighbor who said she was the best dentist she and her kids ever had. She was known to be very gentle with the kids and was the only dentist my kids were comfortable being treated by. Are you sure you saw Dr. Rodrigues and not the other Asian doctor? Dr. Rodrigues was always respectful, took her time treating my kids and explained everything to me in detail. I found this post while trying to find where Dr. Rodrigues moved to so I can take my kids to her again. If anybody knows where she is, please leave a message here.

This being said, I hope you found another dentist for your son soon after your ordeal. It surprises me that your son needed such extensive dental treatment at his age.

• Al
      10th of Apr, 2009

Allison, Aspen Dental is committed to providing all patients with exceptional service and care. We sincerely apologize if your visit to our office was anything less. We advise all of our patients to first call the Aspen Dental office where they were treated and, if the issue is still not resolved, to call our Patient Satisfaction Hotline at 1-866-273-8606 or email us at patientservices@aspendent.com. We promise to respond to you as quickly as possible, but no more than two business days from your initial contact with us. Aspen Dental is committed to your total satisfaction and we look forward resolving any issues quickly and courteously. Thank you for letting Aspen Dental serve you.

• Ne
      21st of Apr, 2010

There are thousands of complaints about Aspen Dental, and "Allie at Aspen" is busily apologizing for them all.

Pathetic! Greedy corporate crooks!

• Tm
      28th of Jul, 2010

Iwent to the apen dental in Lisbon ct. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. they overbook and cancel your appointment stating lack of payment when they put it in the wrong account. It has been a nightmare and I still have dental work that needs to be done but will not let them touch my teeth again. They are the worst

• Re
      29th of Sep, 2014

I went to Aspen for an annual check-up and had to wait 45 minutes, with an appointment, before anything even happened. To top it off, the dentist comes in throwing prescriptions at me that I must purchase. He claimed I had four severe cavities, the beginning stages of gingivitis, and extreme sensitivity that can only be prevented by his prescriptions. He even prescribed me a medication that can get rid of the stains on my teeth that had been caused by braces without asking me if I'm alright with them or not. I then began to ask him questions about one of the prescriptions as he clearly stated that the toothpaste he's prescribing to me will reverse the decay of cavities ( which we all know is false information). He gave me a snotty attitude and stated that he obtained his degree from a high end college in N.Y. and knew more about the matter than I (If you were all wondering, I am a biochemist and chemical biotechnologist). They act like their patients are idiots and will throw money at them every which way. To prove that it's all a scam and they're greedy for money, I went to another local dentist and mentioned nothing about Aspen. When the check-up ended, this new dentist told me I have no cavities and my gums are very healthy. He also explained to me that sensitivity in the mouth is natural and a healthy sign that my nerves are working properly. This is officially my new dentist.