Applebee's / is unable to provide nutritional information!

I find it ridiculous and very hard to believe that Applebee's is unable to provide nutritional information for it's food. I wonder why this is not governed like items you purchase in the supermarket and I recall at one time they did provide this information via the phone. I will never eat there until they can provide nutritional information. I am on a strict diet where I have to monitor my intake. I am adding this same message to every complaint site I come across.

Comments

Ho
  29th of Jul, 2007

If your on such a strict diet, why are you going out to eat in the first place? I doubt very much your very strict diet would allow anything but raw vegetables bought at supermarkets that swear the product is strictly organic, grown in a local farm that does not use migrant workers.

Ch
  23rd of Sep, 2007

I work as a restaurant manager, but not for Applebee's. I can tell you, though, that most cities actually regulate what (if any) information must be posted. For example, the city in which my store is located requires us to provide nutritional information for anything pre-made (i.e. pies, etc.).

It would be nearly impossible to provide accurate nutritional information in a full-service restaurant. Each portion may differ slightly, and may come in contact with some items that are not actually IN the food. For example, we make pies with nuts in them. These are made on the same counter that all of our prep-cooking (pre-portioning of meats, fruits, and veggies) is done. Yes, the counter is cleaned in between, but someone with a peanut allergy could have a reaction just from their food touching a surface where a peanut once was.

For this reason, most restaurants will provide a generic statement like, "Peanuts are used in this establishment, and it is possible they may come in contact with your food."

Another reason restaurants don't usually provide complete nutritional information is because doing so may compromise the confidentiality of their recipes.

Usually, if there is a specific ingredient you are worried about, a manager will probably be able to answer it. But don't be surprised or upset if they can't. Managers are not always trained or provided with the information about the amounts or names of every single ingredient in a given product, again for confidentiality reasons. If that manager was to quit tomorrow, he or she could take that knowledge and sell the same product under a different name if he or she knew all the ingredients.

The general rule is that we know about common concerns: nuts, oils, pork, MSG, etc. When you get into gluten-free and things like that, we don't know much about it. And a manager saying, "I don't know" may ACTUALLY be thinking, "I'm 99% sure, but if I'm wrong, I don't want to get sued."

As the previous person said, if your diet is so strict that you MUST see exact nutritional information for everything you consume, you should not be eating in ANY restaurant even if they DO provide such information. As I said before, such information would be an estimate at best and may not include every single ingredient. I sympathize with you - such an strict regimen would be difficult to deal with. Unfortunately, unless legislation comes along on a national level, you'll probably be on your own.

Tr
  8th of Dec, 2007

When you add the nutritional information to a menu, the recipe has to be EXACTLY the same EVERY single time. If the recipe for babyback ribs calls for 3 ounces of bbq sauce and you serve it with 3.056 ounces of sauce, you are actually breaking the law. Because the said nutritional information is now incorrect. And you could very easily find yourself served with a lawsuit. In this day and age thats not a far reach. Most restaurants change menu items on a fairly regular basis. For large chain restaurants the r&d, and the expense that goes into one single dish would boggle your mind. Then you have to understand the logistics to supply the new ingredients of that recipe to, lets say 500 restaurants. Every time the menu changed you have to update the list and add it to the menu. 500 stores with 500 menus each=250,000 extra printed pages, if it was only 1 page. Just imagine the paper waste and cost of extra printing. Why would they spend and extra 20,000$ for nutritional analysis on a dish that will be on the menu for 6 weeks? McDonalds can do it because they are a huge company, but even they have a disclaimer.

P.S. www.nutritiondata.com is a great website for someone on a strict diet. You can look up info on almost any food. And you can actually analyze any recipe you make at home.

Fr
  28th of Apr, 2008

try going to their website-they dont list em all but they have a category labeled weight watchers of about 8 dishes with cal counts fat grams and fiber grams-funny how folks can find the time to complain but not enough time to do basiuc research

Ji
  24th of Jun, 2010

They could add a nutritional approximation giving the consumer acknowledgement that the exact measurements may vary. In addition, I'm not necessarily interested in how much of something is in my food. I want to know what the ingredients are. Applebees says that certain entres are less than 550 calories but I'm far more interested in the chemical composition of my food.

An
  19th of Aug, 2010

There is a key difference between Nutritional Information (calories, fat, sodium, etc) and Ingredients List (the break down of what ingredients go into each item on the menu like you see on the backs of canned foods and the like.) Applebee's does provide Nutritional Information, but thus far has not released a list of what goes into making their food. Places like McDonald's, Burger King, etc, provide both, but I have heard that the Big Business owner of Applebee's, Olive Garden, Outback, etc, do not release an Ingredient List. Even if you cannot tell your consumers the exact portion of what goes into their food because it is different every time you make it, at least tell them what exactly you are putting in it, portions aside. (i.e., high fructose corn syrup, whey protein concentrate, milk, soy, etc, etc, etc.)