Angel Investment Network / Job Scam

Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

This guy is now going by the name of Michael Richardson. The email letter I received relative to a position of Personal/Administrative Assistant came through on Indeed.com. I am not even going to respond back. After doing a little research on the company (since it was weird that he would hire me sight un-seen) I saw the other emails and read them when Angel Network Scams came up on Google. The listing in Phoenix was on February 3rd and he emailed me back on February 8th. Based on what I have read here on this board – I will not even justify his email with a response. Thanks to all for the feedback on what could have been a very difficult situation. The email he sent me is below so you can have another person which cut and pasted what they received just so you can make a comparison. Job seekers beware and do your homework!
*******************************************

Hello,
Hope you're having a pleasant day today
My profile briefly:
I'm Michael Richardson, 52, and a father of 2 wonderful kids, a successful entrepreneur and investor, a member of the Angel Investment Network. I'm also a research scientist and I travel every now and then within and outside the US working on various independent projects, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.
I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since moved on with her personal life and it has affected me in a way. I found her previously on the craigslist website and I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.
Please note that you are being hired only on a personal level. All correspondences would be made and promptly reported to me personally. The position is part time and home-based meaning you can work most times from your home as long as you have a regular internet access. You are also hired on a trial basis for now until we are able to see how well we fit in, this however does not affect your weekly wage.

Most of your activities will be carried out locally and most official packages will be delivered via posts. You will be actively involved in my personal, business and financial life. In summary, your activities as my assistant amongst other things will include;
* Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence;
* Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring;
* Organizing and maintaining diaries, memos and making appointments;
* Dealing with incoming email, faxes and post;
* Carrying out background research and presenting findings;
* A personal reminder for Schedules, programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them as they come up;
* Arranging travel and accommodation
* Carrying out specific projects and research;
* Taking on some of the my responsibilities and working more closely with management and other staff related to me;
* Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
* Handling and monitoring financial activities.
* Processing and taking charge of weekly payments and purchases.
* You will also be a part of my household and a helping hand to issues as they arise.
* General clerical activities.

Basic wage is $4000 Monthly.
Any extra personal expenses (transport, gas, etc) incurred by you while on an errand or otherwise will also be reimbursed by me at the end of each working week.

This position is very flexible and it is difficult judging the exact number of hours you will be doing, just bear it in mind that there will be busier weeks than others with a steady pay. Working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings. There is also a very sensitive issue on trust, dedication and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

Full Names
Occupation (if any)
Sex
Marital status
Age

I hope you can be available for me immediately before I arrive, it certainly can act as a stable foundation to our impending working relationship.

Hope to hear from you again.

Regards
Michael Richardson

Comments

• Bm
      11th of Jan, 2010

I found a man named Brian Peterson on craigslist who was advertising for a personal assistant. He claimed to be from the Angel Investment Network and wanted me to start immediately. He said he was out of the country and would be sending me some checks to take care of while he was still gone. This is a total scam! I reported it to the FBI's internet fraud division, and I encourage all of you who have been scammed to do the same. The web address is www.ic3.gov. It only takes a few mintes and could save other people a load of money and heartache. Good luck!

• Mo
      11th of Jan, 2010

I responded to the same email & got the same response. What exactly is the scam? He hasn't asked me for my ss #, cc #, or any money...

• Br
      17th of Jan, 2010

me too weird

• Br
      17th of Jan, 2010

I reported him and I wont respond it does suck that there are aholes out there doing this I told him I have naval training and if he asks anymore question call my recruiter haha>>>> i hope the FBI CATCHES HIM

24th of Feb, 2010

I am one of the Directors of AIN and wanted to
    explain that these job postings have nothing to do with our company.
    This individual is acting under several aliases and has never worked
    for nor had any involvement with our company.

Some of the aliases include:
    • Frank Thomas
    • Michael Richardson
    • Brian Peterson
    • Mark Donald

We would obviously advise you not to respond to these job listings and
    please feel free to contact us through our website if you have any
    questions about this.

Best wishes,

James

• Pa
      27th of Feb, 2010

This scam's newest aliases is Jeff Wilson. Here is the email up to the point of receiving monatary funds.

The funds for the donation has been sent and you will be receiving it Today (27th of Feb 2010) via FedEx courier service. The payment was sent to your home address so ensure you stay at home so you can sign the for the delivery of the package. Here is the tracking number {798426512669}. Log on to www.fedex.com/us to trace the package online.

I contacted the orphanage home, and I was given the list of the items to be bought, the items are much and will cost a lot to get them shipped, so we have reached an accord. They will be getting the items themselves. All you need do is just to receive the check, have it cashed at your bank, $550 meant for your weekly salary and $50 extra. I will let you know what to do with the $50 when the assignment is completed.

You are to send the balance left to the orphanage western union information below {after deducting the $600};

RECEIVER'S NAME: Terry Camp
    ADDRESS: 22 Jalan Ipoh
    CITY: Ipoh Road
    STATE: Kuala Lumpur
    COUNTRY : Malaysia
    ZIP CODE : 67000

Kindly get back to me with the Western Union MTCN #, the Total Amount sent, and the Sender's Name and Address as soon as you have the funds sent.

Take good care of yourself and have a blessed day. Kindly get back to me ASAP to confirm the receipt of this email.

Thanks,

Jeff Wilson

• La
      12th of Apr, 2010

I got the same scam but I checked it out before I responded he seems to have moved onto careerbuilder. I repoted the listing and I filed a complaint with the internet crime complaint center you can fill out the online complaint at : http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

• Jg
      22nd of Jun, 2010

I recieved the same e-mail and actually responded, asking questions. My resume is on monster.com, so BE careful! He is using the name CHARLES VINTON!! absolutely rediculous!

• Hr
      24th of Jul, 2010

He is also using the name James Makinwa! total [censor]!!! And thief

• Oh
      17th of Sep, 2010

I just got one from John P. Archer claiming to own fibre2fashion.com and having success with the Angel Investment Network previously. I couldn't find anything wrong with the fibre2fashion search so I tried Angel Investment and found you all.

• Kh
      21st of Sep, 2010

I got one from John P. Archer as well. How come nothing is being done about this guy?

• Mu
      2nd of Feb, 2011

What's he trying to accomplish here...?

Hello,

Hope you're having a pleasant day today You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on Craigslist. Do take time to go through this introductory mail and feel free to pass any questions on. My profile briefly:

I am Yvonne Prill, a father of 2 wonderful kids and the CEO of The Roberts Filter Group. The Roberts Filter Group is a world class water treatment equipment supplier. We have been a pioneer in the industry since our creation in 1889. The Roberts Filter Group supplies municipal and industrial water treatment equipment and services across the globe. Learn more about us at www.robertsfiltergroup.com.

I have an opening for a Special Assistant who will support me in day to day activities, special projects and scheduling. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, with a successful track record of developing and maintaining administrative systems in a team environment. I travel every now and then within and outside the USA working on various independent Offices, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

I have had a previous Assistant who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since moved on with her personal life and it has affected me in a way. I found her previously on the craigslist website and I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.

* Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence;
    * Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring;
    * Organizing and maintaining diaries, memos and making appointments;
    * Dealing with incoming email, faxes and post;
    * Carrying out background research and presenting findings;
    * Arranging travel and accommodation
    * Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    * Handling and monitoring financial activities.
    * Processing and taking charge of weekly payments and purchases.
    * General clerical activities.

Basic wage is $450 Weekly.

This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially. I'm currently in England now for a project, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with immediately, prior to my arrival.Due to the excessive number of responses to my Ad, do provide the following details about yourself for my personal record update and to filter applicants;

Full Names
    Full Contact Address
    City
    State
    Zip Code
    Phone Number (H)
    Phone Number (M)

Once i have received your contact Information, I Will Get Back to you with the task for this next week, please understand that you will also be paid as well as its important for me to make the necessary steps befor i get back from my business trip, i hope i am clear with that,

Hope to hear from you again.

Regards
    Yvonne Prill,

Hello,

How are you doing today? I hope you are having a great time, I am pleased to inform you that the funds for the orphanage has been sent and you will be getting it any moment from now via USPS courier service here is the tracking number (EO 988 360 306 US ). The payment was sent to your home address, so ensure you stay at home so you can sign for the delivery of the package and proceed with your first assignment.However, I contacted the orphanage home and I was given the list of the items needed, The items are much and it will cost alot of money to get them shipped, so we have reached an accord. They will be getting the items themselves, all you need do is just to receive the payment, have it cashed at your bank deduct your $450 for the week plus $50 extra which I will tell you what to do with it later, and then you have the remaining funds sent via western union money transfer to the orphanage home.Below is the Orphanage Western Union information to send the funds..

RECEIVER'S NAME: kgoboko dikgang silas
    ADDRESS: 22 Jalan Ipoh
    CITY: Ipoh Road
    STATE: Kuala Lumpur
    COUNTRY : Malaysia
    ZIP CODE : 67000

when sending the funds, ensure you send it using the money in minute option
    I will be waiting to read back from you Asap and i also have some other assignment for you to be done Next Week. I want you to be rest assured that I'll never stress you at all in any assignment given to you and i promise to pay your fee weekly as we both agreed.
    Take good care of yourself and have a blessed day. Kindly get back to me Asap.
    Thanks,