Amtrak / broken ticket scanner

1 Bridgeport, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 240-683-7211

I purchased a ticket for my son at amtrak on line services. They printed me out a reservation no. and a code bar to scan at the amtrak machine in bridgeport, ct.
when my son arrived at the station he proceeded to scan the reservation conformation . The machine was broken and would not
print the ticket I paid for.
Since all he had was the paper with the bar code, he proceeded to board the train and showed the paper to the conductor. He then told him to get off the train. My son told him the machine was not working and that the ticket was already paid for. He told him to get off the train or buy a ticket for cash, not even at the online price.
It was very important to catch this train, yet no one helped him.
He called me after the train left. I contacted amtrak and they told me
that he would have to purchase a new ticket at nearly double the price in order to board the next train. He did not have that amount in cash on him and holds no credit cards.
He was then forced to take a late train after I wired the money, and there was no metro connection that late at night, so I am forced to pick him up at the station when he arrives. I have recently had a heart attack and have no business out at 2 am. thanks to amtrak I have no choice. If anyone knows where to report this situation please let me know. I can never trust amtrak online again and would advise others
to be very careful purchasing any tickets from their website. They just don't care, they feel no responsibility to their customers.

Comments

• Cg
      19th of Oct, 2009

To the person who had to deal with the broken ticket scanner issues out of Bridgeport, CT and the stranding of their son:

Contact your credit card company ASAP and contest the charge for the original fare. Be prepared to present all receipts for both tickets so you can show that you had to pay a fare twice for the same person on the same day for the same trip which should be evidence enough that you never got what you paid for the first time.

Additionally, if your son was a minor at the time I would also consider bringing charges against Amtrak for the reckless endangerment of a minor, and maybe even a suit for causing mental anguish and all that if you're so inclined. Even if you don't win they'll think twice before doing something that stupid again. Good Luck.