American Van Lines / complete nightmare

In July I went online to find movers to move me from KY to SC. Michael Mowatt with American Vanlines contacted me and gave me an estimate of 1800 dollars, I told him I was on a fixed income and could not afford it. He quickly talked to his superiors and asked what could I afford, I said 1500. I signed the agreement and prepared for my october move. 2 days prior to my move I was contacted by a 'Danny' from American Vanlines, informing me that I had to sign additional papers before the trucks could be sent out, i read the papers and immediately disagreed with the new amount of 2165. Danny assured me and my partner that these papers were only precautions and that I would not have to pay these amounts, also that a refund would take several weeks to process. Against my better judgment and because of this coercion I felt I had to force these documents. Now I am at my new location and being told another price. I was TOLD that my weight did go over my 3000 pound quote by 1000 pounds but my moving price DOUBLED. This whole ordeal has been a complete nightmare.

Va

Comments

Mr
  25th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree -2 Votes

Thanks for your post, I was about to give Michael Mowatt with American Van Lines the OK to move our stuff because they came in with the cheapest quote...rethinking now that maybe cheapest isn't best!!!

Mi
  16th of Jul, 2009

Going through this same situation now. Tried very hard to get move set up to go smoothly - it was awful. -- Michael in Maryland

Di
  18th of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

This was a broker service, not the actual american van lines INC.

Jo
  15th of Apr, 2010
Agree Disagree +3 Votes

you signed papers against your will? lol what is this world coming to you're pathetic

Ri
  5th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

My recommendation is NOT to even call American Van Lines for ANYTHING... They are liars who miss represent themselves to get the sale. I had told Mike Mowatt the very first day I contacted them I did not feel comfortable making the decision so quickly - my first contact made by phone with him was 4/19. I never signed any documents until 4/27/10 but they put a charge of $565.88 on April 19. That should have been my first clue they were miss leading at best. On Friday 4/27/10 I signed the paperwork and agreed on a pick up date of 5/3/10 Monday. On April 30, 2010 Josh calls because he wants to insure my moves goes smoothly - no he contacted me to get more money and another set of documents signed with the price going up a lot. I had not been contacted by anyone since to let me know when my pickup would actually be until Monday 5/3/10 the day I was to have my stuff picked up from my storage unit. Finally got a call from a Tammy with relocation services to inform me the truck would there between 4:00 - 6:00 and that the driver would call me about an hour before arrival. I stayed at my storage unit until 6: 00 the gate to the storage unit closes then. I received my first of nasty phone calls from the driver about 6:45 demanding I come back or I would forfeit my deposit of $1, 289.66 in ADDITION to paying another $250.00 for something. As I am back in route to meet these folks I get 3 text messages with threats and the ever so sarcastic remarks from cell phone # 260-901-9410 " Maam i am just reminding you that you are defaulting our contract and your deposit and you have a way to enter the premises with or without the code" I received the first one at 7:00 pm another one from the same number at 7:08 "Ok you have a nice day and your deposit has now been incontempt and the contract has been violated thank you have a great day" I am driving in my car to meet these people that had no consideration of my time and to be sending threatening texts to me while driving back to meet them I was so angry I could have spit nails. Since it was after 6:00 and ALL American Van lines employees had gone home for the day the only folks I could deal with were the actual company AVL subcontracted the work too... The ones sending the texts. My blood pressure was through the roof to put it mildly. At 7:15 I sent the 260 a text asking him to call never did. I finally make it back it's well after 7:20 at this point. I arrived to a PENSKE rental truck with 3 men who were as upset as I was... Then a storm rolled in and all the men and Tammy from relocation services insisted I let them load my stuff in the RAIN onto a PENSKE rental truck to be delivered to there location then the stuff would be again moved off the PENSKE rental truck into one of theirs upon arrival. I would not let them load until the rain stopped since most my stuff is wood and in boxes that lead to more anger from the guys. Once we started loading the truck the guys were ok they did try to assist with how I wanted my stuff dispersed once it arrives to my location. However I did not feel good about all my stuff being taken in a PENSKE truck and unloaded and loaded again since that is when stuff normally is miss placed or broken. I hired movers that I thought would use a semi as I was told by Josh from AVL the day I had to be charged almost double of what the original estimate was that was not such a problem since I had forgotten about some items and wanted to make sure they had room on the semi since other households would also be loaded on the same truck. So my entire afternoon from 4:00 to 9:25 was spent dealing with getting my truck loaded. Today when I called to find out when the delivery of stuff would be the only answer I got was it will be between 5/5 - 5/14/2010. I questioned Mike about the extended dates and his response was that something horrible would have to happen for the delivery date not to be within the first couple days. This has just been the pick up part I'm still waiting for the other shoe to stomp me on my delivery. I will keep you posted... I wish I would have read the review prior to hiring this company. It's been a hard and expensive lesson to learn but one I will not forget soon. One other thing that rubbed me the wrong way was Tammy from relocation services the one who arrange the PENSKE rental truck called me Tuesday morning hoping I think that my mind would some how feel differently about the situation last night. She had the nerve to say to me I think you are confused, no not confused just angry. Then the phone went dead when she did not hear what she wanted to hear. I will write how the delivery goes when it happens. Take care consumer and I hope this helps you avoid the same kind of treatment.

Th
  11th of Feb, 2011

They told me the same thing and the price kept going up and now i am 400 lbs under the price and beign charged more money than my contract. they told me that if i do not pay they will not deliver my goods. They have 3 days to make a 3 day trip to get me my supplies on time. It has been a nightmare. THey are charging me all of these hidden fees. And the guy Tom who setup everything is no longer at the extension he gave me so he pro. chagned his extension so I could not call and talk to him

Sa
  7th of Jun, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

American Van Lines is a scam company! We, too, looked on line for a mover to move our furniture only two hours away. We knew we could not move ourselves as we were once able to do as in our youth. Before we made a decision, Mike contacted us several times to reassure us their company would be our best and most economic choice. Basically, we chose American Van Lines because of their follow through before we had even made our decision. We exchanged several e-mails with questions regarding supplies, do's and don'ts of moving, hidden costs, etc. We have an e-mail from Mike confirming everything that was discussed at the price we discussed. On Friday, three young sub-contractors in a plain white truck came to our home. Before they even got started the foreman asked for signatures and confirmation of payment to be rendered at the end of the move. When we acknowledge payment of our agreed upon amount, the young gentleman stated we would be charged extra travel time because of our distance and estimated our move would be an additional unknown amount. No one in their right mind would sign for an unknown amount. We contacted Mike and Mike once again stated the amount agreed upon was the bottom line. After several minutes of discussion with the young contractors, the foreman stated they go through this with American Van Lines each and every time they are contracted to move someone. Long story short... we had to move ourselves. Our realtor was there and the contractor suggested to her that she never recommend American Van Lines. He said they lie and cheat. He estimated when they only get to move about one out of every nine customers American Van Lines sends to them because the company has not been truthful with its customers. When we attempted to resolve the matter with Mike, he was conveniently unavailble. We asked to speak with the manager and were told the manager was not available. We asked for a number where we could contact him and were told angrily "I am not giving you that information". The contractors contacted the office manager and the office manager asked to speak with us. While on the telephone the office manager tried to negotiate the price by saying they could do the move for an additional $300. When we turned down the offier, we were told we would be charged a $375.00 cancellation fee. We informed the office manager of American Van Lines that he did not have authority to place $375 on our charge card, he said it did not matter he was doing it. As soon as the telephone call ended, we immediately contacted our credit card company, and sure enough, American Van Lines had already billed us! The credit card company placed the charge in pending and the amount is being disputed! Our move to our new home was absolutely the worst experience we have ever encountered - all because of one unethical company - AMERICAN VAN LINES.

Ly
  11th of Jul, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I am in the process right now of going through what you have already gone through. Nothing but attitude and screw you after they get the deposit. I waited for days to get a time that the movers would be there. My things also were being moved out of storage. My belongings are in Denver, CO and I'm in Georgia. I had to depend on my sister to meet them there. RUDE people. I originally booked with Don Otis. Then like you Jake Pentaloski (sp) from Quality Control called. I told him I wasn't signing the contract as I had questions and that's when things got nasty. I called one of the higher ups, James Willens and it has been a nighmare ever since. The drivers were over two and a half hours past the 2 -4 PM pickup time and then want to get nasty with my sister. I paid $1281 deposit and the subcontractor told my sister to pay 10% down. She told them I'd already done that and they still wanted money, which she did not give them. Lord knows if I'll see my belongings. All this could have been prevented with a few follow up calls to ensure the move went smoothly. You have to continually call them and then they've got your money so they just don't care. I am having surgery on the 21st. I also am on a fixed income and already the sub contractor told my sister the small boxes had to be put in large boxes or I'd be charged for each box. I never agreed to that. I was told it went by weight. My stress level is sky high. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. You call for an estimate and they force you into giving up your money and signing that contract and it sure isn't in the customer's favor. I just pray I get my belongings as it was packed in a U'haul type truck. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Gl
  16th of Jul, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I am in the middle of having the same nightmare experience with Amereica Van lines. I am so stressed out because I'm getting the run around about the arrival of my furniture and they've charges me an extra 500 dollars. Be warned, these people are all nice and accommodating until they get their deposit, then they can't be bothered with you. I'm hoping I get my stuff Monday, and then I'm reporting them to the BBB.

Pc
  28th of Jul, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

your first mistake is leaving stuff off the moving list. that extra hutch you may have 'forgot' about in the garage turns out to be 150lbs. at lets say .59/lb is $88.50. these movers are contracted and need every penny they can get. now leaving 1000lbs of furniture off the list is taking money out of their pocket if they go ahead and throw it into their truck, which is a payment in it self. be truthful and include everything you want moved. each piece has an average weight. when they do your estimate its an average weight. 1500 to move your 3000lbs of stuff about 400miles? not to mention the labor of pad wrapping and loading and unloading? your an idiot. but hey there's always those craigslist movers...good luck filing a claim with them. also all American van lines trucks are labeled American van lines. if a plain white truck shows up then its not American van lines. maybe north American van lines which is a totally different company. or again those craigslist guys.

Fi
  7th of Aug, 2012

American Van Lines is NOT a moving company. AVL is a "moving service, " which hires BROKERS to take customers' money, and then the AVL BROKERS hire a shoddy moving company.
"moving service"...see AVL website.
North American Van Lines...supposedly the same owner.

Av
  13th of Nov, 2012

Our team apologizes for failing to meet your expectations and reported displeasure with your overall interaction with American Van Lines Relocation Division. We value you and your shared feedback and it will definitely assist in our current efforts of improvement to our company entirely. As the information you have provided us with is insufficient to locate your account, we urge you to contact our office so that we can fully address your concerns. Please call us at 1-800-338-9361, providing us with your name and the job # number that was assigned to you by your booking representative.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

American Van Lines Relocation Division.