American Van Lines Logo

American Van Lines

Having problems with American Van Lines?

+1 305 828 4443 (After Hours Emergency Line)
1351 NW 22nd St.
Sat10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

lies

I contacted American Van Lines for an estimate of a small shipment from Orlando to Denver. I spoke to a "Michael", that I now believe to be a generic name for anyone answering the phones.Probably the phone numbers for many different companies all go to the same office and "Michae"l answers.When I asked a number of questions, "Michael" assured me that he was not a broker and that the truck which would move my belongings would say "American Van Lines" on it. He also quoted me a price just under what it would cost me to rent a U-Haul and pay for the gas. He informed me that his company billed by cubic measurement rather than pounds. "Michael" told me that he liked to educate the public about movers who added extra pounds after the truck was loaded up and charged more money. His company was reputable. I sent him the exact measurements of each box and of each piece of furniture.The quote remained the same, and I would avoid having to find friends to pack up the truck and the long drive acrosscountry for a slightly less amount of money. Naive me! On moving day a white van showed uo with no permanent identity, just a small removable magnetic label on the cab door. After inspecting what I had to move, I was told that it would cost me another $1200. Here's the game on moving day: you have everything packed, you've sold your house (my renters were moving in that weekend) or your lease is up, you have no dishes to eat off of, no bed to sleep in, your utilites will be turned off the next day, your refrigerator is empty, and you must report to the first day of work for your new job in the immediate future. The movers know all this. It is called "the elenenth hour screw." I refused to pay. I then spoke to the rudest businessman in the world. His name was Gill Daniels from Colonial moving company in Orlando. Over the phone he slowly enunciated each word as though talking to an eight year old as he asked me "DO YOU HAVE A PENCIL AND PAPER?" He was going to give me a math lesson on how to figure cubic feet. When I told him to speak to "Michael, " he said "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?" After a heated exchange, I ended up paying an additional $600 rather than $1200. I would lose a $200 deposit plus have a $400 cancellation fee charged if I cancelled Funny how that math works, isn't it? I don't know how Gill Daniels keeps his job. I next had to worry about the moving company holding my belongings on delivery day untill I paid the extra $600 dollars. I had read horror stories about that and decided that once the moving van backed up to my door, I would block it with my car and call the cops if they gave me any trouble. Luckily that didn't happen. They were, however, two weeks late on the delivery and I had to place many nasty telephone calls to "Michael." He was always conveniently in a meeting for the first few calls until I threatened a class action law suit based on the written complaints I had read of their moving company. All of a sudden they decided to answer my calls and be specific about when my belongings would arrive. The men who delivered the shipment were Armenian. They were polite and did not charge me any more money. I tipped them and thought to myself how sad it is that immigrants are more polite and more honest than the native born Americans that I had been arguing with. Maybe it's just in the moving industry.Hope this info helps you in your move.

movinghelperfor you Nov 27, 2011

Well you fell for the classic scam perpetuated upon many. YOu need to file a complaint with the FMCSA at protectyourmove.gov and also write your federal representatives. They need to make sur ehte fed does their job.

AVOID AVL Dec 25, 2011

I filed a complaint with the FMCSA, with my fed reps., and with many, many more authorities. I filed, emailed, and called and called and called.
    No one did anything!
    I am sure AVL is very happy knowing no one will touch them.
    But more potential customers will be much happier knowing to AVOID AVL!!

failure

I would not recommend American Van Lines for anyones future moves. I orriginally spoke to Don Otis who gave me a quote on a move based on a random number. The quote was around $2700 which was far less than other companies, and around the cost I could do the move myself. It interested me because I was very limited on time. Once the weight estimate sheet was done the quote was changed to around $3500, which was still within my budget, but higher than I could do myself. However, as long as it was done within my window I was ok with the price and Don assured me it would be. I gave a $1500 deposit and the day of the move, NO MOVERS?????? I could not get anyone from scheduling to return my calls and barely got Don to return them. I spoke to customer service once after 20 calls, and was passed directly to the scheduling voice mail which again noone answered. Around 4pm I was finally called to inform me they would be rescheduling my move for later, at a time I would not be available. I had to fly a person to the location at a cost of $500 just to be there the first time. A cost that was not reembursed. They did give back my deposit, and I did the move myself. Cost? $2000. Save the headache and do it yourself.

AVL, aka, SNAFU Oct 11, 2011

You are welcome to tell your nightmare from hell on this AVL complaint site and other AVL complaint sites.
    Consumers are grateful for your wonderful advice!
    Please continue to tell everyone!

movinghelperfor you Oct 12, 2011

Make sure you file a complaint with the FMCSA at protectyourmove.gov

AVL is the BEST! Oct 17, 2011

Superior lies!
    Magnificent deceptions!
    Superbly misleading!
    Outstanding lack of customer service!
    Exceptional 100% guaranteed lack of concern for customers!
    100% assured UNreliable!
    Totally awesome UNprofessionalism!
    Flawless move to hell!

Sincerely recommending AVL moving service to all AVL employees, their beloved families, & treasured friends!

AVL Customer Service Jan 27, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

We deeply regret to hear of your reported dissatisfaction with the level of service provided by our American Van Lines team. We would like the opportunity to address your issues and concerns but, unfortunately, with the information provided on this review we are unable to find any records of such a move with our company. If you in fact moved with us, we are requesting more information so we can have one of our moving specialists look into your move. If you provide us with your job number, full name and phone number, we will gladly do so and further assist you. You are welcome to contact our office with a proposal or in regards to this response at 1-800-338-9381. We are ready to work with you.

customer service

Can not get a straight answer or even a call back for that matter. Picked up our stuff five days and no one can tell us where it is or when it will be delivered. Getting very angry...will call every 20 minutes until they get sick of me...

AVL Customer Service Oct 05, 2011

Dear American Van Lines Customer,

We apologize for the issue you are currently facing with our team. Your review is very important to us. Please call 855-820-6916 to provide your basic information and we will promptly look up your job number and answer your questions.

Again, sorry for the delayed contact. Please call us and we will provide you with the quality service you expect and deserve.

Thank you for your time.

AVL, aka, SNAFU Oct 11, 2011

Danni6676, you are welcome to finish telling your nightmare in hell on this AVL complaint site and other AVL complaint sites.

over charge

I am owed a refund and I can not get a response from AVL.
I have called and left VM, I have called and requested to speak to managers and been hung up on, I have emailed Don Otis and gotten nowhere. I would like a refund.

1: I was given a "Binding estimate" of $2489.05 7/1/2011, -Paying $1034.88 in deposit.

2: I called (Mid Aug) requested for the movers to pack my kitchen dishes, a few paintings and mirrors, "maybe up to ten". He quoted me $175.00

3: The pick-up date was set for Aug 19, but was flexible to the 20th. I was called on the 19th and told they would not arrive until the 21st. A complete inconvenience, I had to clean my house and fly out, I was left with NO time.

4: The two men that came to my house were nice but could not speak any ENGLISH. They left, I received a text stating I was over weight by 720LBS. @.83 per LBS = $597.60

5: I received an email from Customer service stating my remaining balance is $($2408.71) WTF????

6: I requested a reweigh because I was not sure if the weight was correct -Aug 2011

7: I was contacted on Wednesday 31/08 by "John" from Trans-United Logistics saying that they would arrive Friday afternoon or Saturday. I was contacted on Saturday at noon by "John" who was RUDE, Yelling, and being VERY vulgar, would not even let me say a word or ask a quewstion and unprofessional, saying they would not arrive until Sunday 8am-12, at 11:58 Sunday 4/09 I got a call from the driver saying they would be south of my house at the weigh station in approx an hr (weigh Station was 45 mins away from my house)

8: I paid $2408.71 in cashiers check to the Driver (or they would not release me my belongings) and then followed them back to the weigh station, I was only over 540 LBS (not 720)= $448.20. not $597.60 diff of $149.40 not the 331.34 I HAD to pay over...
Still... somewhere they tacked on $182.03????????

I have reported to BBB and am waiting a response, I also feel I should be compensated my distress and extra work I have had to do just to get my goods moved. "I'm sure that will never happen"

I will NEVER recommend anyone use AVL for anything!!!

Quoted price: $ 2, 489.05 total paid: $3, 452.59
Total owed = $ 2, 077.37
Total Paid $ 2, 408.71
Refund due $ 331.34

movinghelperfor you Sep 21, 2011

Make sure you file a complaint with the FMCSA. Binding estimates are binding. That means they are what they say when you sign the document. No later on changing the price. FILE A COMPLAINT NOW. Also write complaints on a lot of other moving websites.

Dear American Van Lines Customer,

We apologize for disappointing you during your move. We thank you for your review and would like to communicate with you about issue.

Our team understands that pricing was an issue, but we currently cannot locate your job number. Please call us at 855-820-6916 so we can investigate your move and work with you to achieve a mutual resolution.

We look forward to improving your experience with our team.

fraud!!!

Im a current employee of american van lines to be more specific a driver. American van lines is affiliated to...

worst movers ever

- My furniture is badly damaged and/or stained.
- The pickup occurred one day late. The delivery occurred nine days late. American Van Lines offered me $200 in compensation which is 2/3 of their stated compensation rate of $30 per day (X 10 days).
- I missed two days of work (16 hours) due to scheduled pickups and deliveries that did not occur (my current salary is $53.61 per hour). No one called to inform me that the dates had changed.
- It cost me approximately $80 for lodging on the last day of the pickup window. After I called numerous times to ask of the driver's whereabouts the drivers finally responded and kept pushing the pickup time later and later into the evening. They eventually did not show. Had they informed they could not make it vs making empty promises I could have cancelled the hotel for that night.
- It cost me approximately $84 per day for three days of lodging AFTER the delivery window closed.
- I was forced to sleep on the floor of my home for six days AFTER being forced to check out of my hotel due to their being full AND due to the company only offering me $30 per day (which they did not honor in their compensation offer) for being late which would not cover the cost of a room.
- After spending several nights on my floor I now suffer from back pain which forced me to take additional days off of work.

As a federal agent and former member of the US Air Force I have relocated across country on several occasions throughout my career. I have yet to file claims or seek compensation as of result of ANY of my previous moves. As a man of integrity I can honestly state American Van Lines has afforded me the absolute worst, costly, and stressful moving experience in my entire career. - AVOID AT ALL COST -

AVL Customer Service Sep 19, 2011

Dear Customer,

American Van Lines apologizes for inconveniences caused to your moving plans. We understand that you had an unpleasant experience with us, and we thank you for your review.

We want to correct our issues as quickly as possible. Please contact us at 855-820-6916. We want to look up your job number to investigate what went wrong and we also want to know if there is any way we can further assist you. Our team is at your disposal. Again, our apologies for not meeting your expectations. We look forward to communicating with you.

yeah, right! Sep 21, 2011

The day that American Van Lines follows through with what they say, is the day it will be cold in HELL!

• Li
    LizHolt Apr 24, 2013

I don't even know where to start complaining about these people. BEWARE of this company, they lie, they sub contract and don't tell you that, everything they say is a lie! From the estimate to the pick-up to the delivery, everything was a lie! My movers din't even speak english, they were rude, broke stuff, did not arrive or deliver when they said, wanted cash(not)! When I did call several times and complain they finally reimbursed me a lousy $145.00 which didn't even cover the cost of my time complaining! Just know EVERYTHING they tell you is a LIE! I am turning them in to the Better Business Bureau and I suggest if anyone else has had a bad outcome with this company, please do the same.

nightmare moving experience

Nightmare – do not use american van lines – here’s what I went through:
This was the worst moving experience I have had (And I have moved 4 times in the past 5 years).
When I first spoke with my representative, don otis, regarding a moving quote, I was told that since I was one of the first people to be booked on my particular trucks, I would be given "customizable" delivery dates — a 5 day window instead of the usual 10-14 day window. My contract showed that pick up was to be on june 22 or june 23 and delivery between june 25-29.
On friday, june 17, I received a call from customer service. She said there was going to be a truck coming through oklahoma city on monday, june 20. I was asked if there was "any way" that I could have my things packed and picked up 2 to 3 days early. I was on vacation that weekend, changed plans and came home to oklahoma city early to finish packing. I took monday, june 20 off work since they were coming to pick up everything, and I booked a hotel room for both monday and tuesday night since I still had to be in oklahoma city for work and I did not expect to have a bed (Or any other belongings). I was told the pick up would be between 9am and 12pm on monday, june 20.
No one ever came on monday, june 20; I also never received a call from my representative, from customer service or from the driver explaining why they were not there to pick up my things. At 12:15pm, I called avl customer service, who had absolutely no explanation as to why my pick up did not happen. They claimed to call the driver, but "could not get him to answer his phone"... This went on all afternoon on monday, june 20. No one, at any time, was able to get in touch with the driver.
Tuesday, june 21: still absolutely no explanation as to why my pick up did not happen. I had spent hours on hold with customer service with absolutely no responses or explanations on monday, so on tuesday I called my representative, don otis, and asked him to try to help get me answers. After several hours, I received a call from don, who said he had spoken with my driver and that my pick up would be between 3:30-4:30 pm on tuesday, june 21. (In the meantime, kevin, from customer service, called to ask if my pick up had gone smoothly the day before — the lack of communication and irresponsibility of avl was such that your own customer service rep, the one assigned to my particular move, did not even know whether or not my pick up happened. At 4:30pm, still no one had arrived and I had received no explanation. A total of 16 calls were made on june 21 to customer service and my representative, and not a single straight answer was given to me. I was given the driver's phone number on that day as well; I made 8 calls to the driver and sent 2 text messages; linton (The driver) did not answer a single call or respond to a text message. He finally called at 9:06pm on tuesday saying that he was still over 3 hours away from oklahoma city and would be there the pick up my things at 6am on wednesday, june 22. Why was I told that pick up would be between 3:30 and 4:30 pm if at 9:00 pm the driver was still 3 hours away — I received nothing but lies all day long.

Wednesday, june 22: after swearing that they would be at my house at 6am, the driver/van did not show up until 6:40am. To make matters worse, it was one of the most unprofessional situations I had seen. The driver had an adult assistant/helper, as well as two children, ages 10 and 11, who helped them carry boxes and load the truck — unprofessional. The kids were yelling and screaming going up and down the stairs, awaking neighbors.
When speaking to linton, the driver, I asked why he was 2 days late without ever calling me. I also asked why he had not answered his phone whenever customer service and dispatch had been calling him for the past two days. He said that he needed to get more gas for his truck and that avl had refused to allow him to charge any more fuel on his fuel card, so he got mad and refused to drive or answer his phone.
As a driver for a huge, national company, I find it very hard to believe that #1. The company is not aware of gas mileage of their trucks and do not give the drivers money for fuel to cover their trips, and #2. That the drivers actually run out of gas this often (As you'll see below, I was told on another occasion that the driver "ran out of gas" and this is why he was late with the delivery). He also said he was in a place with poor cell phone reception and this was why he hadn't answered my calls — I don't believe you can find a single place in the usa that doesn't not have cell phone reception for up to 12 hours at a time — again, endless lies.
During my pick up, I asked linton when he thought my things would be delivered in florida (Again, my signed contract said june 25-29 were my delivery dates). He said he did not know about the delivery date; when I told him about my contract, he laughed and said the company "lied to me" about customizable dates. He called dispatch right then and when he got off the phone he said dispatch told him my things would be delivered by the 29th of june. He finished the pick up and was one his way.
Thursday, june 23: I received a voicemail from kevin with customer service, "confirming" my delivery for "6/29." he also said, "of course, if there are any changes, we will call you."
As my confirmed delivery date approached, I made my way to florida. On june 28, one day prior to my, again, "confirmed" delivery date, I had not received any calls to tell me a time frame for my delivery the next day. I made 23 calls to customer service on tuesday, june 28, and at no point that day was I told where the driver was. I also called the driver 4 times that day and sent him a text message — no response at all. After spending the majority of the day on the phone with customer service, kevin from customer service called at 7pm and said my delivery would most likely now be on friday, july 1.
Please note: throughout my quote, pick up and delivery disaster of a "process", I was told repeatedly about "confirmed" dates, promised to be called if there were "any changes to the schedule," and at no time in the entire process was I notified of changes without first spending hours on the phone trying to get information. There was not a single instance of customer service taking initiative and calling to notify me of changes. Kevin assured me he would call me back on a daily basis, and not a single time did he follow through. I eventually spoke with a customer service "manager", andrea, who also promised to make note of kevin's behavior and she said she personally would call me back at the end of the day with information... Again, absolutely no response from andrea as well.
Thursday, june 30 - saturday, july 1 — a constant run around of lies, lack of answers, confusion. Again, the driver "wasn't answering his phone", I was never told where in the country the driver was, and my delivery date somehow would get bumped by "a few hours" to "the next day" on a daily basis. I understand that things come up — delays, flat tires, running out of gas... But the amount of times I was given the same excuses is unbelievable. Kevin told me that they ran out of gas and that was the reason for the delay — running out of gas may delay things by 3-4 hours, but in no way do I believe this is what resulted in a 4 day delay past my "customizable" dates of june 25-29 as listed on my contract. Over these days, I called avl 19 times and received no definite answers; I called linton, the driver, 2 times with no answer
Again, I still received no answers regarding where he actually was and why he was 4 days past contract.
When linton finally did arrive, at 3:30 pm on sunday july 3 (With contract delivery dates of june 25-29), he again had the same two young children with him. After a few hours, it appeared that most of my things had been unloaded, the movers had not come up with boxes in over half an hour, and I was unpacking in my apartment. Linton had not come up for me to sign the final paperwork. I was about to have to leave, so I went down to find him.
When I walked downstairs, the avl truck was still outside but linton was nowhere to be found. Then I saw the two young kids carrying boxes up the stairs of another building of the apartment complex. I walked over and found a man in a budget rent a truck and told him I was looking for my movers. Right then, I saw linton coming down the stairs of the neighboring building. He laughed when he saw me and said he was "doing some moonlighting, a little extra side work." — he had not yet finished my job yet he had found a way to make extra money on the side helping to unload someone he did not know. I told him I now understood why he was 4 days late.
Linton came upstairs and I signed my paperwork; I assumed he then went on his way. Over an hour later, I realized that I was missing a table. I immediately called and sent him a text message about it, then walked outside... Only to see that his truck was still there! He was still unloading for other, random people, delaying all the other avl paying customers whose things were still on the same truck mine had been on — completely ridiculous and unprofessional.
I have never dealt with a more unprofessional, disrespectful and unorganized company. Save yourself from stress and fury – use someone else!!!

AVL Customer Service Sep 20, 2011

Dear American Van Lines Customer:

We apologize for the discouraging and unpleasant experience you had during your move. We appreciate the time you took to submit a complaint since it has made us aware of very serious issues.
    We would like to communicate with you about your move urgently. Please contact us as soon as possible at 855-820-6916. American Van Lines would like to rectify the inconveniences caused to your move in a prompt and efficient manner. Please accept our apologies and allow us to improve your experience and satisfaction with our team.

Thank you for your time.

yeah, right! Sep 21, 2011

Gee, looks to me like Kevin of Customer Service, and Andrea, Customer Service Manager, knew about this disaster. What did they do? NOTHING! and NOTHING!

theft

Moving is one of the most stressful things, you put your trust into complete strangers and hope that they live up to their company's name and treat other people's life belongings as if they were their own. I called this company for me and my 2 toddler daughter's big move from Miami, FL to New York without knowing that my 1500 dollar move will end up in a lost of over 5, oo0+ dollars and depression. Being a single mother of 2 little girls i wanted a better life so i decided to relocate. Our entire lives were placed in a warehouse for a Month, it was picked up a week before our move so we will have it upon our arrival, instead we got NO calls for an entire Month, i had to call weekly to know what the status was on my delivery. When finally a Month passed and my stuff arrived, i was told by the driver that one box was not delivered and left at the warehouse due to the claim that something had spilled in the box, only to find out it was the box with my kids' gaming devices, $2, 000 worth of devices, ipods and games for the PSP, Nintendo DSI and New Nintendo 3D my oldest got for her birthday the month before the move. Not to mention all my furniture was damaged, it looked as if my belongings i worked all my life for were involved in and earthquake...treated WITH NO CARE! I was told by John the driver that i had 30 days to claim my property (the box) so when i called the next day i was told per the CSR rep that the warehouse manager "threw the box away" Who gave him the right to throw my property away damaged or not? As a result, i filed a complaint on their website according to their process and have yet to get a call back...it is a daily struggle and a very sad situation especially knowing that i am unable to replace those things my kids loved most. I am reporting this company to the BBB as well as filing a police report, very rude and UNPROFESSIONAL people working there and i will do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure the public knows about this. DO NOT let it happen to you and your family. They simply DO NOT CARE.

-Jessica Barbuto

• You have my sympathy Jessica. I'm dealing with a similar situation with them right now. I am so stressed out from America van lines, I wish I had done the move myself.

yeah, right! Sep 21, 2011

What does being married to an attorney have to do with anything?Certainly American Van Lines doesn't care.
    Write a complaint testimony about your ordeal on this site.
    They kinda care about that. They seem to have a problem with previous customers "advertising" for them.

Dear Jessica,

We apologize for letting you down during your moving venture. We are glad to take this opportunity to further assist you, however, we cannot find your job number in our system. We will need a little bit more information before we can resolve the matter.

Please contact us at 1-855-820-6916 as soon as you are able and we will promptly assist you. American Van Lines wants to rectify the inconveniences caused to you and your young family. Thank you for your review.

• Sc
    schippy51 Oct 29, 2011

Hey AVL Customer Relationship Manager, where are you when I need you? Jessica, I know your pain. I'm going through the same thing with my mother in law right now. We moved her from Arizona to Oregon, she is staying with us until her belongings are delivered. Her home is sitting, rented, empty, waiting for some mystery truck to roll up at any minute. First it was a 3 to 4 day delivery, then another 2 days. Then nothing for a week because...AVL LOST THE TRUCK! They are now in breach of contract but if you read there conditions...that means squat. They will deliver when they choose and charge you what they choose. We have called the police, we know every customer agent assigned to our region by name, the young lady who was "assigned our case" what ever that means has a habit of not answering her phone. When she does answer, we hear the same story. "Let me look into this and I'll call you right back". We called her back 15 minutes after the last call and were told that she left for the day. Nobody within the company communicates with one another, nobody knows where my 71 year old Mother in laws belongings are, no two amount due numbers are alike, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone! Relo? One person told me they were one of the companies that contract with AVL, then I was told that Relo is a term for the type of paper work used when AVL uses a carrier other then themselves? One agent assures us we will get a refund, another a partial refund, another says "we'll have the amount due for you shortly", that was 6 days ago. Now today I hear that we will not be able to off load the truck unless we pay another $3300!?!? And really...will AVL refund that amount to us as they say they will? What do you think? This is by far the WORST choice I have ever made in my entire life, DO NOT HIRE AVL, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU, DO NOT TRUST THE KIND VOICE ON THE PHONE BECAUSE ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, YOU CAN KISS THEM AND YOUR MONEY GOOD BYE.

do not use this co.

This company is the worst. They lie, they weigh your furniture four times and tell you each time they re-weighed it the furniture weighs more than it did the previous time. Did my things gain weight while sitting on the truck?
They damage your things and lose (steal) your property. American Van Lines delivered my furniture two days late: on a Sunday - when they originally promised it would be delivered on Friday. I lost a day of work at my new job waiting for the movers, who decided they could not get it there on Friday and called me at 5:00 pm Friday to tell me it would now be there on Sunday. My condo association does not allow move-ins on Sunday. Their reaction? too bad. They threatened to leave my stuff in the street. I had to pay for a maintenance person to come in on his day off plus I had to pay a fine to my condo association because they did not want me moving in on a Sunday. These people could not have cared less.
Use anyone but this company.

yeah, right! Sep 21, 2011

And American Van Lines will always prove you wrong...
    with more lies!

Dear Sir or Madam,

American Van Lines sincerely apologizes for the problems that occurred during your move with us. Our team thanks you for your review and we would like to know how we can repair your experience with us.

We understand how frustrating your move was, particularly because of the issue with your condominium's time restrictions. If there is anything we can do to rectify your inconveniences, please call us at 1-855-820-6916 and we will further assist you.

AVL Customer Relationship Manager

do not use this terrible moving company

I hired American Van Lines for my move from Salt Lake City to Atlanta and it was a terrible experience. They...

no truck!!

Do not trust their word! Please do not book with them and make the same mistake we did. This is happening to...

do not use avl - worst company ever!

AVL lied to me over and over. They promised 3-14 days delivery. They delievered when I was OUT OF TOWN 21 days later! They damaged my goods, denied the damage, gave false information to my insurance company. They will not call me. I even tried contacting AVL headquarters and didn't get anywhere. They didn't have the proper moving equipment at origin. They didn't blanket wrap my piano as promised, they mangled the piano cord, they broke the bookholder and it crashed down and chipped the keys. They lie, lie, lie.

yeah, right Sep 21, 2011

We can tell of our nightmare experiences with American Van Lines until we are blue in the face. Consumers are still not going to believe that this company can be so horrible...until they book with AVL.
    Then they will believe us!

Dear American Van Lines Customer,

Our team is very sorry for not providing you with the service you expected and deserve. We'd like to speak with you about the issues that arose while moving with us and try to resolve the inconveniences caused to your moving plans.

American Van Lines strives to assure our customers with comprehensive service. We would appreciate it if you could get in touch with us and provide us with your job number so we can investigate and rectify your experience with American Van Lines.

Please contact us at 1-855-820-6916. We are at your disposal.

• Mi
    Michelle F Jan 15, 2012

Please do not believe a word of this company's reply. They make absolutely NO attempt to please their customers or even to follow through with their basic promises of moving your furniture safely. I am going to court on Friday and assume the judge will side with me. Do not use American Van Lines!

misleading! please take heed!

American van lines lead us to believe they are the actual movers! American van lines are actually just brokers, who did not care less >after< our contract was signed!! >american van lines was instrumental in turning our joyful anticipation for our retirement move into hell on earth!

From pa to fl - before signing the contract: "jonathan," an american van lines sales rep in ft. Lauderdale, fl, gave us a low quote of $1, 800; and said when the truck is weighed, it might be just a little more. If the weight is less, we would be re-imbursed. He lead us to believe that our items would be picked up by their tractor-trailer*. (More below)
We questioned the sales rep about such concerns as to why american van lines has such terrible consumer complaints on websites. He had what seemed to be an acceptable answer for that, and for every other reasonable, delving question we asked. He gave us a lot of assurance about avl's entire moving protocol.
The sales rep questioned us about our distance from >phila. And bethlehem, pa.< then he "checked" something, and our moving date was focused on the availability of an "american van lines" tractor-trailer passing thru our area. We signed the contract, and paid what we owed in full, which included extra payment for avl to pack some of our electronic items.

After signing the contract & paying, another american lines rep called to tell us we owed approximately $1, 000 more... (Despite our choice to eliminate some heavier items). We paid. Note: there was no truck weight at this time.
Having continuing conversations with the sales rep, he was fully aware that we had contacted our local police, who agreed to block off some streets to accommodate the tractor-trailer*
We made confirmed, fully-paid, non-refundable travel plans for the day after our expected move, which was well over $2, 000. The sales rep was fully aware of our plans.

"moving day"... With an avl confirmed pick-up date via e-mail & verbally, a tractor-trailer never arrived! Instead, avl had sub-contracted a small u-haul co. Truck out of bethlehem, pa, which was 3/4 filled with another person's items. They could not take our items, & they departed. Only having our cell phone for communication, we called avl. For 6 agonizing hours, we begged "marie," "ed," "leon," & customer service to send another truck. >non-chalantly, they all repeatedly kept saying there was nothing they could do!< and they often kept us on hold for indefinitely! Our cell phone was running out of minutes. Since we had a contract, we persisted until 9 p. M. We then tried to get another mover, but it was too late.

Due to avl's care-less attitude, we then had to deal with many disasters - with one being very critical - that happend between 9 pm, and the time we had to continue with our travel plans the next early a. M.
Our home was up for sale and had to be emptied for carpet layers scheduled for the following day and for a showing the following monday.
At this point, we had no idea what was going to happen!

Over a week later, american van lines chose to sub-contracte a small moving co. Out of philadelphia ( An avl supvr., "samuel" told us that if we want our abandoned items, we would have to pay more money to avl!!!

Note: avl's complaint dept. Sent a letter to us that totally directs the blame - for what "may" have happened - on the phila. Movers. The letter also indicates that we chose those movers!!!

The tangled problems we had to deal with, which was prompted by american van lines "tactics" and irresponsibility, continued for us months thereafter. The stress is unbearable!

yeah, right! Sep 21, 2011

Ooooh myyy gosh! These complaints get worse and worse!
    I'm now at the point of saying that American Van Lines is a filthy, disgraceful, unconscienable, disgusting, shameless Broker company!
    I don't think a group of people anywhere could be any lower!
    I feel so sorry for what American Van Lines did to these older folks! So sad...

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are very sorry to hear of your stressful moving experience. Our team apologizes for not delivering the comprehensive service you expected and deserve. Please accept our request to work with you to resolve this issue and gain your satisfaction. We will need more information about your move in order to investigate.

Contact us at 1-855-820-6916 and we will further assist you. Thank you for your review.

chris frank Jan 19, 2012

This company is a rip off. Their contract is a scam. They told us they would show by 9 am but we never heard from them. At 2 in the afternoon we hired a different company. Two hours later, after we raised hell asking for our deposite back, they called saying they were on. The way. Very clever, because in the contract they say they can show up within 24 hours of the time specified. So by them calling ten housr later, they could keep their deposit, because they claim we were the one who canceled. Never mind that we had to be out of the house by 4 pm. They are rude ### rip offs. Never ever trust theses people.

delayed delivery

What a mess. This company has the poorest customer service I have ever experienced. They lie and do not give a dam about the customer. They will not escalate any problem to anyone in authority and will not give a specific answer to any question! Read the following to learn what kind of service they provide. We were quoted 4-10 days delivery after pickup. After 8 days and no calls except about final payment, I called to find out when our shipment would arrive. THEY DID NOT KNOW!! Finally got a guarantee that it the delivery would be made in three or four days. I had to call again to see what day and time the truck would arrive. Was told that truck was going to be here in two days (Friday) and they would call with the time. I had to call again (Thursday)because had not received a call from American Van and found out less than 24 hours to the scheduled delivery that they would not deliver until Monday. Started calling all the companies involved (found out that there are at least three separate companies handling my move) and finally got ahold of the driver. He said he would deliver on Monday. Called the driver on Sunday to get a time for the delivery on Monday and he said he would be arriving between noon and 3pm on Monday. At 12:30pm on Monday I again called the driver and asked him how close he was and he said that the company (American Van Lines) was supposed to call me and tell me it would be Tuesday. American Van Lines picked up my furniture on March 23 and today is April 12. Still no furniture!!! Supposedly they are on their way right now - we will see if they lied again. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!

movinghelperfor you Apr 13, 2011

Welcome to the Club, they have scammed a lot of people. You can go the the SOS of Florida and look up their name. You will find the owners name and if you search that you will find all of the other company names he operate under.

But you got what you paid for, and probably ended up paying more than quoted.

misleading service

Last week i scheduled a move with Don Otis of American Van lines to have a pickup in Greenville, SC and drop...

total rip off - thieves and crooks

This company is the worst in the world, they will lie to you, cheat you and hold your household good hostage...

overcharges, breaks things, horrible customer service

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with the way our move was handled. I've waited a couple weeks to write this to allow myself to calm down from the anger and disappointment that I felt after our moving experience. You see, it wasn't as if only one thing went wrong - everything went wrong. Honestly if the situation hadn't been happening to me, I might have found it comical just how horrible it went. I've used professional movers twice previously (both times United Van Lines, who you can be sure I will return to for future moves) and have never experienced such poor service, unprofessional behavior, and extreme lack of coutesy as I did with American Van Lines. I've outlined my concerns and the problems I experienced below as I sincerely hope that you take action to prevent this type of experience from happening to any of your customers in the future.

Pick-Up

Movers arrived early morning on day 2 (they called the previous day to say that the packing and loading of the truck would only take 1 day) and movers remained at the house until nearly midnight

Movers arrived without packing materials (no paper of any sort), so they used magazines, napkins, papertowels, etc that they found around my house (when my husband asked if he could go buy them some brown packing paper, they told him it wasn't necessary)

Only 2 movers were on site including the driver, who wore sandals and did not do any loading of the truck except for some heavy furniture

Movers were not careful with any of our belongings or the house - they dropped a mattress outside and broke a large potted plant vase

Mattresses were not wrapped or packed in anything so arrived at the new house covered in dirt

No protective flooring material or banister protectors were used - despite what your website claims

A large statue was thrown in the back of the truck with no box or protection - big surprise that it arrived broken at the new house (driver did pay for this out of his pocket)

When looking in the back of the truck, it looked like a bunch of college kids were moving as so many items were not packed in boxes or protected in any way and were haphazardly thrown in the truck.

The movers took at least 2 smoke breaks every hour may have been why it took them so long.

The truck they were using was leaking so much oil that they used boxes to line the road under the truck.

They left obvious stuff in the house like the vacuum cleaner they had taken everything else out of the closet except that.

In Transit

Our belongings were to be stored until our new home was ready for move-in on August 20, but on August 5, we found out that we could move in on August 13, so we attempted to contact the movers (PS Movers) to change our move-in date. We called them immediately and on that date, we were told that their scheduler would get back to us shortly if they could accommodate the earlier move-in date. When we got no call back we began calling daily and leaving messages but were unable to get a hold of them again until August 11. On that date, we were told that their scheduler would get back to us shortly if they could accommodate the earlier move-in date. Later that day, we received a call that said they would be able to do the earlier move-in date and that they would call back to confirm but they never did. Late on August 12, we received a call that they would not be there on August 13 but would be there first thing in the morning on August 14. We received a call at 2 pm on August 14 saying that the driver was on his way and would be there by 4:30 pm. As my husband had to work that evening, we made arrangements for the move to occur at 7 am on August 15 instead.

On the morning of August 14, while we waited at the new home, we received a call from one of the representatives from American Van Lines with our total amount due statement, which turned out to be 50% higher than the original estimate. My husband questioned the new amount as your website promises that the final amount due would not exceed the quote, but the representative said you have no such policy and that the estimate is purely an estimate.

During the time from August 3 August 11 when we were trying to reach PS Movers, we called our original sales representative to see if he could help us get in touch with PS Movers, but we were told that he no longer had our file and that we would need to talk to PS Movers directly. Glad to see that he was serving as our single point of contact for our move as your website promises.

Move-In Day

No floor protection was used so our new carpets and hardwood floors were covered with black dirt, footprints, and dark dolley lines after the move was complete. I have pictures if you would like to see.

3 movers showed up this time including the driver although again the driver did little else than supervise the other movers.

The boxes did not have clear markings on them to designate where they came from so it was difficult to direct movers as to where to put boxes. Those that did have markings had MK (apparently master closet), GB (although we had 2 rooms packed into boxes with this label), or M (for master). Our kitchen and living room did not apparently have labels.

All boxes, even fragile ones, were loaded onto a dolley that was yanked up several concrete stairs to get to the house I am truly amazed at how little broke, but I think it was more luck than purposeful.

The glass top of a desk (that had not been wrapped at all) was completely shattered in the truck.

At least 1 handle is now missing from every set of drawers we have and the movers were unable to locate them in the truck.

The mover lost the screws to the bed so had to go to Home Depot to buy more.

The driver gave us $300 out of pocket and promised to send a check (that we have yet to receive) for the remainder of the items his crew broke.

Im sure Im forgetting some of the atrocities that we experienced during this move, but you should get the picture from the above. Overall, it was very disheartening to have our move handled by PS Movers as your website claims Unlike out of state moving companies that may contract individuals to relocate you, all of our long distance movers are full-time American Van Lines employees. If this was really the case, why did PS Movers not have an American Van Lines truck? And why did the American Van Lines customer service representative say that he no longer had our file?

Dear Leah,

We are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant moving experience with our team. Please accept our apologies for the damage and delay. We hope that we still have time to rectify the issues for you and work towards a mutual resolution.

American Van Lines appreciates your review. Please give us an opportunity to speak with you about the issues that arose during your move. All we ask for is your basic information so we can look up your job number. You can reach us at 1-855-820-6916. Thank you for your time.

harassing phone calls

Gregory from this company is really rude, harassing, and has a mentality of a 5 yr old. If you answer the phone he gives you a hard time about what you know and considering I am a woman, he thinks I am stupid. When I answered the phone the last time, I told him I booked with another mover and he said really, not even going to give me a chance to beat it? I told him he couldnt, he said really, how come? I already saw his estimate of almost 2200.00 dollars to move a 2 bedroom apartment from Florida to Missouri which ended up being about weight and not about CU FT like most movers.
I again told him I booked with another company and he said, "Good luck with the balance on the other end!" and hung up.

Nasty A**, DONT USE THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE SCAM ARTISTS!

American Vanlines - Nightmare

I was moving from FL to IA. I was searching for a moving company on the internet and came across this stupid American vanlines. They claim that they are "BBB" rated moving company. I trusted that.

I was contacted by Adam Docktor from American Vanlines and fixed the price and date of movement.

They came one day late to pick up the items. That time itself I smell like it's not going to be as easy as I thought.

After reaching IA, i tried calling them to find out the estimated delivery date as the items were not arrived on the date they had mentioned.

Each time I call their customer service, I used wait for a long time(about 40-45 min) for some one to receive the call...but it was never happened.

I emailed several items to the person (Adam Docktor) wo find out the status. He simplay says, call customer service and the respnse was never positive.

It's been 29 days that they picked up my items in FL and I am still waiting for my items. God knows when I will be getting the items.

Don't trust this company...

• Na
    NatashaAVL Mar 16, 2010

We are deeply apologetic that the customer experienced any delay in receiving his shipment.

All of our customers are given a delivery spread so they know when to anticipate the arrival of their household goods. We make all efforts to adhere to the delivery spreads we provide each of our customers and when we are not able to we compensate them accordingly.

Deliveries may sometimes be delayed based on when a customer moves and how much they are moving. Customers who move very small loads to more remote areas, such as IA may be prone to delays more than customers who are moving to high traffic areas or have larger loads. We do explain this possible delay to all customers who this would apply to prior to agreeing to service their move. Either way, our office always makes sure customers are aware of any delays and compensate them accordingly.

It is not only important for us to meet each customers expectations but equally as important is how we handle the cases where we may not have.

service

First, they claimed that our house is 1200 square feet, which it was not. Upon review of the measurement...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices