American Mattress / Fraud and cheating

I bought a Tempurpedic Mattress on 9/24/08 from this store after being told numerous times that it had a 30 day full comfort guarantee, regardless of the reason. Well to my disappointment, i had back and shoulder problems sleeping on this bed, perhaps because I am a side sleeper or 100 pounds. Beautiful bed, it just does not work for me.

When I called I was told to come in and pick out another bed if I liked. I did and again, I picked the top of the line Serta bed for $4100.00 plus tax. This would leave me with about a $3, 200.00 refund. However, after I picked out the bed, the salesman sheepishly said 'you know we do not give anything but in store credits.' I lost it and asked what am I going to buy for the difference seeing I had purchased their most costly bed, The Grand Tempurpedic! Again, sheepishly, he suggested sheets and mattress covers. I told him his sheets were like overpriced brillo pads.

He said that is 'our' policy. I said that the salesman who sold it to me put the receipt down with a pen on it, and his hand, as if to hold it in place for me, and told me to sign 'here.' Now I see it was so I did not see the back where in light gray the exchange policy is explained and it was never mentioned to me, nor was I given the chance to see it. In fact, it was completely and purposely avoided at all costs.

Now as if this guy that I am dealing with is doing me a favor, he said he will go the extra mile and probably get into trouble for it. He offered to refund my money with the exception of a restocking fee of 10% on a $7100.00 sale (before tax), plus a charge to me of $50.00 for delivery. The delivery fee was explained to me at the original purchase, saying that is all it would cost me. Again, another time they could have told me about an in-store 'credit only' policy. I was told that they lose huge on this because the mattress cannot be re-sold by law. Read Down on that issue and assume your own conclusion.

Calling Tempurpedic I was told if I had bought it straight from them, I would have had a 100% return, but there vendors set their own policy. Tempurpedic does not hold their vendors to any policy requirements. However, I believe they give the same 100% guarantee to their vendors, as they do the general public. I was told that they sell these mattresses to a carpet padding company for re-cycling into fine carpet pads that are then sold to the public.

Today, at a $760.00 donation fee to American Mattress, they picked up the Tempurpedic and delivered the Serta. Most interesting was the mattress they picked up was carefully wrapped and taped looking like it was brand new. It was wrapped just like the one they delivered, exactly.

Bottom line consumers, buy at reputable stores and stay away from these Mattress Stores or even buy direct from the manufacturer, but most importantly~guarantee and money back do not mean the same thing, especially from someone who is trying to scam you!

Va

Comments

• Cs
      21st of Oct, 2013
    American Mattress - Free Pillow and Pillow Case
    American Mattress
    4176 East New Rd
    Greenfield
    Indiana
    Phone: 1-317-462-3150

I purchased a full size mattress and Box Springs on 10/10/13 and was to receive a new pillow, but they were out and said they would have one by the 18th. When my daughter went to the store they gave her the wrong pillow and I was promised a pillow case, they also gave me a king size pillow case, not a full size. I called them, and left a message 3 times, they don't answer the phone, and don't call me back..
    Chris, the Store Manager was who told me the information. The Sales Person, who sold me the mattress and box springs is Barry Lawrence.
    Why don't they answer their phone, and return my calls? My calls were 3 different days.
    All I want is the right pillow and pillow case.
    How does a business run without answering their telephone calls?

Carolyn Schroeder