American InterContinental University - AIU / Probation

Warning!!

If you are thinking about enrolling at this school, better don't. This career college is currently at risk of losing its accreditation because of its unethical behavior and low quality programs. Don’t get fooled.

Comments

• L
      10th of Oct, 2007

I was an Interior Design student that has been appalled with the service from this institution, the Financial Aid staff are rude, Interior Design classes have been doubled up (half class time but full price) and the facilities only have one large plotter making it nearly impossible to print the work for final presentations. Rip off!

• He
      21st of Jan, 2008

I was a Fashion Design student at tis university. I transfer to another school because Financial Aid people was unprofessional and also they made us buy a expensive laptop computer that we never used in the class. Now I'm a Graduated and I'm stock with the payments from this University that it was a waist of time and money. Please think twice before you register!!

• Ra
      13th of Mar, 2008

Heydi,

Thank you for your well thought out and correct spelling/grammar response. As in any for-profit university, you will get out of it what you put into it. Do not blame the organization for your lack of initiative or research. I also attended AIU and earned my MBA from them. While portions of the curriculum were relatively easy from my perspective, I committed myself to learning more. Realizing the degree only opens the door, you must still perform to retain the position you are provided. Dedication and commitment are not included in any degree program at any university.

• Mr
      28th of Mar, 2008

As a hiring manager for a very successful company, allow me to warn protential students away from AIU and all the other commercial for-profit "colleges." These schools are not considered legitemate colleges. The quality of their instruction is poor at best. Most reputable companies will not hire people who attend these schools, if the position requires a college degree. The ones that will, always pay a lower salary, becase the graduates of these schools are not considered college-educated. There's a reason for this: these schools do not turn out educated stuedents, but only people with limited job training and no core liberal arts coursework. Whenever I receive a resume and the candidate states that he/she graduated from AIU (and others), I immediately place it in the recycle bin.

Don't be fooled by these charlatans. A real college degree takes a lot of hard work and determination. It cannot be got in an accelerated way or by cutting corners on coursework. Do yourself a favor and attend a real, fully accredited college of university. If there's an AIU in your town, there is also a good state-funded community college. These are far cheaper, have much better instruction, and the degree obtained from them are considered legitimate.

• St
      15th of May, 2008

FOR THE MANAGEMENT COMPLAINT ON HIRING ANY AIU
    EMPLOYEE.
    DON'T PLAYER HATE.
    EMPLOYER'S "ALWAY HIRE THE FOOL, WHO IS NOT! WISE.
    OUCH! BITE BY THE WATCH DOGS@ WORK..

BY: Michael White91325

• Mo
      3rd of Jun, 2008

To A Hiring Manager,

I think if you are not looking at a prospect employee b/c of their place of education then you are just as bad as a sexist or a racist. I am a student currently at AIU online and I would have to say that my course work is very hard! I previously went to a regular college and think there both equally hard. I got laid off and could not find employment that would allow me to attend college so I started at AIU online. AIU is accredit and though they have been on the line of almost loosing it they are accredit. I am a working mom and have no time for regular college as you call it. Everyone needs a chance no matter where they were educated or what they look like. A hard earned education has student loans either way.

• Bi
      14th of Jul, 2008

To the person who claims they are a "hiring manager"--- You're full of it. Phillips Electronics, GE, GM, McDonald's Corp, Ford, Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard... Those are just a few institutions that have Career Days where Phoenix, AIU, Devry, Ashford, Kaplan and others come in and help these people find the right programs for the employees and military personnel. Those companies must not be as successful as yours because they pay for employees to attend these institutions. Look it up people. Don't take ANYONE'S word for it. As far as the "hiring manager", your school must be great because you say "A real college degree takes a lot of hard work and determination. It cannot be got in an accelerated way ". You realize that the Big 10 schools have accelerated programs? You're a ###.

• La
      16th of Jul, 2008

Bill your the ### get a life seriously!!!

• Ry
      17th of Jul, 2008

I have been attending AIU for several years and have not had any problems with the legitimacy of their programs or their staff. AIU is in fact a "fully" accredited institution, NOT on probation and in my experience their programs rival traditional (Brick and mortar) university programs. I have attended “more reputable” state universities in a traditional manner for which I felt was a waste of time and the challenges they presented were a joke. While there were a few (I stress few) times I felt this way at AIU, overall the programs I have taken have opened my eyes and they presented them in a challenging manner. For the “Hiring Manager”, please email me and I will be more than happy to debate the legitimacy online learning institutions. To say an online degree is worth less than a traditional degree is absolutely ludicrous. I’ve found, most of the brightest individuals I know have obtained their degree from online institutions, to include some that attended (and graduated) AIU. For Bill, you are absolutely correct in stating traditional universities have accelerated courses for students to attend. As for Lana, please post a response that has substance. Simply stating someone is a ### without providing your point of view simply makes you look ignorant!

• Bi
      21st of Jul, 2008

When calling someone a ###, you look stupid if you so not use proper grammar. It's "You're" not "your"

• Na
      22nd of Jul, 2008

Bill, Randy H., Molly & Ryn –
    All of you make excellent points regarding AIU. As for “L” that started this mess, Heydi, "hiring manager"; Lana; and I am not really sure what type of message Mr. White was trying to convey, however, I am certain that they just really need to begin utilizing their spelling and/or grammar checks for one...and quite possibly partake in an English class. It just so happens that AIU has fabulous English instructor’s and may be able to render some assistance to these lost sheep of sorts.

Regardless of your views of online degrees and educations, they are legitimate. I am in the Criminal Justice program and am nearing the end of my Associate’s program; and am prospectively re-enrolling in the Forensics program for my Bachelor’s degree. I have already had discussions with various law enforcement institutions in my area regarding this degree and its hiring potential, all I need to get my foot in the door really is have my Associate’s degree and a job vacancy. The only thing that I will agree with the person that began this thread is that I also had an encounter with a Financial Aid person, who was a bit on the “rough” side, I told my Student Advisor, and the matter was handled. The school is not perfect; no school is you will have problems whether you go to Duke University, Florida State, UCLA, University of Phoenix or AIU.

The reason that I responded to this post was because I witnessed MY SCHOOL being trashed unnecessarily – and by a bunch of persons that obviously did not know what they were talking about…..or at could not express themselves in a dignified matter. If you want to launch a complaint, and then do it as an adult, do not resort to name calling, which is just childish and immature. As you can see, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

• Na
      22nd of Jul, 2008

Now do you all see what I mean - read the closing sentence...As I became defensive of AIU, my grammar just became horrible.

{about…..or at could not express themselves in a dignified matter}...what was THAT???? So maybe the bad grammar was an expression of the other persons anger and frustration too. Sorry, just a pet peeve.

My Apologies!!!

NADINE

• Je
      6th of Aug, 2008

I graduated from AIU Online three years ago with a BFA in Digital Design. I work as an artist professionally and found the accelerated courses much like the workplace. In some cases I knew more than the Instructors and had to bite my tongue and lay low to get through the class. I transferred my credits from a prior AA degree, and my company was good enough to pay for 80% of my tuition. The biggest problem I remember from AIU was that it promised some sort of help in landing a job after graduation. Most of my peers in class were new to design, but a few actually worked in the field already. I spend a lot of my time helping others due to the course time constraints, and I got by on 3 hours of sleep a night over the course of 1 1/2 years. AIU Online was a hard, grueling non-stop workload that I enjoyed. Art School generally isn't considered a respectful degree, but what really matters is your portfolio when you interview. A college degree is meaningless if you don't have any artistic talent. I saw many folks in class that I would never hire for an art position, and I wondered why they were wasting their time and money pursuing a design job. I am well paid and satisfied where I work. I have good memories of AIU Online and can always look back with respect to my hard work and collaboration with my peers. AIU is not for everyone, but I agree that their marketing and solicitations are not correct to the general public. Many students I worked with had no business being in that field of study.

• My
      28th of Sep, 2009

I would disagree, because this school has made much improvement over the years. each of their classes are just as tough as any other traditional colleges. Professors are highly professional that when one disagrees with a point of view debate is encouraged without fear of being graded on their beliefs and not the quality. The same can not be said for a traditional college where professors will actually fail a student for having a different political view.

What about the people who were unable to attend a traditional college, Onlines schools such as AIU and many others are way to achieve that. I beilieve companies that discriminate against online schools are just upset that it wasn't around when they attened college.

For the students who feel they got ripped off they were most like the type to utilized sites like justanswer.com to do there work for them. That is one them not the school. However that doesn't the same issues don't exists in traditional universities they do they just don't get posted all over the place when they fail because of there own lack of effort.

I attend this college and I work hard for my GPA and it doesn't come easy, most of which is because I already have 20 plus years experience in Management and I am able to use that same experience in the classroom. The only reason why I am in school is because now a days they need that peice of paper. I can tell you this much I can do circle around those Managers just out of school.. myview.blogtoolkit.com

• My
      28th of Sep, 2009

Some of the complaints though are from way back, most or all issues have resolved they mostly came from admissions advisors and they are no longer employed.. I did have one of thiose in 2005 however I withdrew do to new baby and just reenrolled and it has been a total change compared 2005

• Un
      2nd of Feb, 2010

I am appalled at the horrible grammar and spelling in these messages. If this is the quality of our up and coming graduates, look out world! Some of you claim 20 years of management experience and others of you claim prior degrees. Do you people not realize how critical good communication is? Stop using spell-check! Look it up for crying out loud! I would hate to be on a team with some of you. You would drive me nuts with the lack of attention to detail!

P.S. Thank you for convincing me NOT to enroll in AIU!!

• Ke
      23rd of Aug, 2010

I find the critical comments regarding AIU astonishing. I am enrolled there at the moment and I am completely happy with every aspect of their dealings with me. I am a 46 year old businessman and studying for the first time in years, and my interaction with AIU has been nothing short of completely professional in every respect. I find it interesting that the original complainant stated they were at risk of losing their accreditation and yet, three years later, I am studying with them and they have thousands of students. Perhaps there is a personal aspect to this original post rather than just reporting facts, but I can assure readers that AIU is doing very well, is fully accredited, and has excellent courses and instructors. Perhaps those unhappy with the College may best look inward to see where the issues truly lie.

• Dc
      26th of Aug, 2010

I couldn't really say whether or not I really know anything about AIU. I have been in attendance for nearly a year now; I have had conversations with the instructors; I have completed my work; I have a 4.0. I can recall the different faculty members having said they were involved with some such project, worked for government agency X, etc. How could I be sure of it though?

Any person aspiring to higher education should be concerned about the quality of that education. I want to know; when I make an A at AIU, is it equivalent to a C at Stanford? When I graduate, will I be treated seriously? I generally prefer to leave no doubt in the things I do; my objective is to crush the competition; individual ambition serves the common good. Does it though? When applied to all matters, the appropriateness of the decree begins to break down.

Take L for example. Why begin this thread; remember your psych guys and consider the source. What is the cause of all this AIU trolling? AIU, have you anything to say about this? DO you even know these things are being said? Have you had ample opportunity to reply. Or have we gathered here in the back alley to talk ill of our academy behind its back? Is this a back alley; I have never been here before.

I should have probably mentioned I attend online, so I wouldn't have any idea about equipment problems on campus. Still, my concern would be quite similar to anyone else's. What quality is the degree I am working for? Have you been to the Facebook site yet? Eleven people like it; do the faculty not like AIU? I checked the site for my brother's school and the number was a thousand some. Of course, this could just be because students of AIU aren't typically on Facebook. How would Facebook be an accurate accountant of AIU's credibility? Still, why would more people not have gone to the site?

There are about a thousand questions to ask, different pieces of what some may call evidence; it is assumption! A dangerous lot as well; irresponsible to dash the hopes of those with potential futures by telling them their effort is for naught without good cause. It is detrimental to the mentality of our communities; reprehensible to place the future of our nation, the average level of education of a region, the potential for economic, social, and scientific advance; to debilitate the minds of those better occupied with the dissolution of fundamental difference and unity among nations, greasing the gears of our industry...

Do you not realize the heinous nature of such accusation should they be unfounded?

I could go on for awhile, but you can put the end to this essay; I have given you enough of my thinking already. I have better things to do.

• Ai
      16th of Apr, 2012

I attended AIU, and received a Business Mgt. and Health Care Administration Degree. I told the admissions rep that I wanted to be a Nursing Home Administrator in the State of MN. I was very clear about my direction and expected outcome of the AIU education, even including the information in an essay for an "in house' grant.

After graduating, very proud of myself for my 3.8 overall GPA, I applied to the State of MN Board of Nursing Home Administrators to apply for licensure. That's when I found out the truth about AIU!!!

The state of MN Board of Health DOES NOT RECOGNIZE AIU as an accredited institution and will NOT accept their degrees for license requirements!!! The State of MN Board of Administrators WILL NOT allow me to enroll in the internship program for licensure based on my AIU education. The University of MN has one of the top 5 programs for Health Care Administration (Masters Program), and they will not accept my AIU Degree for acceptance into the program.

My degree from AIU is ABSOLUTLY WORTHLESS, AND COSTING ME $38, 000. I urge everyone to do thier homework before considering an education at AIU!!!

• Tr
      19th of Feb, 2016

I attended AIU from February of 2008 thru Nov 2013, I have two Master degree's and I earn over six figures a year. I have a Master Information Technology and an MBA both from AIU. I have a lot of debt but I have a job I love in the IT world and I can spell although my grammar is not always the best. I worked full time while earning my degree's and I am very proud of what I have accomplished. To all who think an education with AIU on-line is not as hard as attending class at a actual brick and mortar school think again. It was the hardest five years of my life and when I began at AIU I had 430 college credits already which some helped towards my degree and some did not. The problem with regular college was all the classes I thought were useless towards what I wanted to accomplish, to many electives. I wanted classes that got me where I wanted to be not in a round about manner. I am a member of Delta Mu Delta and earned that at AIU also.