American Home Shield / the truth about ahs

1 all of them, United States Review updated:

I just thought the consumers in the united states that deal with american home shield would like to know the truth about their warranty company. Any one of you that ever had to deal with a water heater issue and thought the contractor was somehow robbing you because you had to come out of pocket for something the warranty company says is covered might be interested in this. American home shield pays contractors a flat fee anywhere from 60. 00 to 140. 00 per call. Period. That is all they pay. They do not pay for any parts whatsoever. So when a contractor comes to your house and you need a water heater that costs 350. 00 and the contractor is getting 125. 00 total for the job it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that not only is he not making any money he is losing 225. 00. So how can a person hope to survive working for the ahs? They do what they are told to do by ahs. Ahs came up with their patent pass the buck routine, which is to roll the cost down hill, anything you think they are paying for, they pass on to the contractor, anything the contractor is going to lose money on is rolled onto you the consumer. If the contractor doesnt like it, or if they make a big stink about it they are finished. No more calls will be coming their way. When the subject is brought up with their contractor reps. They tell the contractors to do what they have to do to atleast break even on water heaters knowing what they are telling them to do is illegal, and a breech of contract with their customers. These charges are called non - covered charges. Without them the contractors would be broke and out of business in their first month, with ten water heater calls per week they would be finished. This is ahs' standard operating procedure. They had a class action suit filed against them a few years back for denying claims for just about anything, they settled the suit paying the consumer with not money of course but a new and better plan that would guarantee the consumer would have coverage for just about everything. This is actually true. The way they went about covering the costs of this plan is sleazy and dishonest as usual. The contractor says hey wait if youre going to cover everything no matter what and you want us to fix or replace everything you have to give us more money per call. Ahs in their generosity agreed and offered the contractors time and material (This pays them for the parts and for the time spent on the repair) this was a really great thing! It was fair to everyone involved - the consumer got no hassle service, everything was covered, the contractor got paid for his labor and didnt get stuck with paying for parts out of his labor wage. Well this lasted about three months then ahs decided that they would change it so that they paid the contractor 20. 00 more than they're usual fee and he would have to pay for parts, six months after that they dropped it down to they're usual fee. So in the end who eats it again? Certainly not ahs, they dump it into the contractors lap and tell him if he wants to work he'll roll it over onto the consumer period. They are worse than you can imagine. I've been doing warranty work for a long time and they turn my stomach. I refuse to be a party to their practices and therefore don't get much work from them, but thats okay i will tell you also that if you want to get a home warranty policy go to old republic, or fidelty they have much more honest business practices and they are fair to the contractors. If i needed to have a warranty policy i would go with o. R. Because they give us the hardest time about our work which means they care the most about you the consumer. P. S. They got the plug because they deserved it boycott ahs they're ###.

Comments

• Ds
      26th of Jan, 2010

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM!!! AND GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GERT A SUPERVISOR ON THE PHONE!!!

• Th
      26th of Jan, 2017

@d shenkar Plus, when you request a second opinion AHS tells you that the 2nd contractor comes to the job without any prior knowledge of the issue. LIES!!! On two separate occasions I have had 2nd opinions where the 2nd contractor already knew the problem before they even walked in the door!! A bunch of posturing and blame shifting. Another time, I called to request service and they blatantly ignored my call! I know they purposely kept me on hold (for over an hour) because at the same time I decided to call using my wife's phone (different are code too) and they picked up within 5 minutes.

• Ha
      28th of Feb, 2018

@d shenkar What a bunch of lying dishonest people! AHS gets their money upfront when you pay for the coverage. After that you are on your own! I lost a bathroom ceiling because my "plumber" assigned by AHS didn't think my water heater leak was an emergency. Then the plumber tries to hit me with over $400 dollars in add-on fees that I refused to pay. I went out-of-pocket to have a licensed plumber come by my house and give me a bid to replace my water heater. I then asked him about the fees mentioned by the AHS plumber. He flatly stated that none of the fees were legit, that it was just an attempt to make more profit at my expense. I have requested a supervisor 3 times and finally got a call. What a pleasant experience that was! That lady couldn't lead a dog on a leash! I have issued a formal complaint to the CEO and am waiting to hear from him (stop laughing, I really am). I have requested the cash-out option. I'm guessing I'll get low-balled big time. Word to the consumer looking to buy a home warranty: DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM AMERICAN HOME SHIELD! You will be sorry!

• Uh
      21st of Oct, 2018

@Haynes Family The plumber wasn’t trying to “make more profit” by charging you the non-covered costs associated with the water heater, he was trying to break even on the labor and equipment. AHS only allows $125 max per plumbing call, and that includes the service fee you paid, and the labor, parts and equipment. A water heater replacement is obviously much more than $125, so the customer has to take up some of the costs or the plumber is losing his arse. Don’t use a home warranty. Fire them.

• Sc
      5th of Apr, 2010
    American Home Shield - I have been their customer for over 8 years and all I have is complaint after complaint
    American Home Shield
    ahswarranty.com

Their service is horrible. They charge you a co-pay even if they don't fix the problem. I wish I could be employed by them. No matter what terrible job you do, you get paid. I do not recommend them at all. I have been a customer for over 8 years and all I have is complaint after complaint. I prefer calling someone outside their services and pay them. At least, I don't have to pay unless the work is done and up to standards.

• Uh
      21st of Oct, 2018

@Scalmione When you visit a doctor, don’t you pay your co-pay up front before you see the doctor, regardless whether you feel better, got medicine, or were told to go home and take Tylenol? It’s a CO-PAY for the service call. That’s why they call it a SERVICE FEE

• Mo
      7th of Jun, 2010

We have been scammed by AHS one too many times. After being stupid for 14 years - yes 14 years, we finally let our contract lapse. The latest in a long string of problems was trying to get our Whirlpool Tub repaired. Our contract states that it is covered, but when the fourth contractor came out to try to fix it, AHS told us that the part that was bad was not covered. It was the switch that allowed power to go to the tub. Now, how on earth can a whirlpool tub work without power. I asked AHS that question and they said that only the motor itself was covered not the switch that turned the motor on... I asked them where it said that in the contract, they said, only certain parts are covered and others aren't. They couldn't tell me where exactly it states that a motor can run without electricity. IDIOTS.

• Gu
      25th of Jun, 2010

We have had AHS for a while and it seems that they are very selective about what they will cover and what they will not, despite what their contract says. The furnace failed and "their" designated contractor said it needed to be completely replaced. So... they said they needed a "second opinion", and sent a second contractor, their designated "hatchet man" to say that there was dust in the furnace so therefore it hasn't been maintained properly and the claim was disallowed. I now have a drain problem in the kitchen and the galvanized drain pipe has rusted out. There is sewer gas coming into the house. They couldn't find a contractor who could come out on a Friday night, so they said we should try to find one ourselves. The provided a list of "unacceptable" contractors, so we called one not on that list. They further said that once our contractor has assessed the repairs necessary, he was to call for an "authorization number". He called and after lengthy "on holds" waiting for someone who could authorize the amount necessary, and after an hour waiting, I told him "just do it". I apologized to him for the delay and the load a AHS bulls**t, and had him hang up so he could do the job. I told my wife to contact her credit card company and "disallow" any further charges from AHS. We are over them!

• Gc
      5th of Aug, 2010

We have had American Home shield for 14 years and had no less than a service call for both heating in the winter and air in the summer each of those years until this year. We have had 6 work orders for the air conditioning unit over the past 2 months with "repairs" lasting 2-3 days form the repair work before the temperature in our home reaches the outside temp which has been in the higgh 90s and low 100 this summer. We called demanding evaluation for a replacement unit for our 25 year old system and they offered up a $900.00 repair or a $500.00 cash out option. The going rate for a replacement AC unit alone is $4, 500.00+. We have been paying them $370.00 per year. We 're reporting them to the BBB and looking for an open Class action law suit. If there is not one, we need to get one started. GP

• Br
      6th of Aug, 2010

DO NOT GET AN AMERICAN HOME SHIELD WARRANTY! IT IS A RIP-OFF. I have AHS. My A/C broke and AHS sent someone to my house on 11 Jun 10. Two and a half weeks later, it was broken again (not cooling). Since I wasn't going to be available, I submitted another service request on 13 Jul 10. To this day (6 Aug 10), it is still not repaired. They sent out a "crap" contractor (S.A. Specialties-in San Antonio, TX). They want me to pay over $500 to "fix" my A/C. I asked them (AHS) why I should pay $525 and I am told the cost is for the "stuff" that isn't covered under warranty [the plenum, filter base, permit (yes, I said permit), and disposal]. Supposedly the evaporator coil is bad and instead of replacing the evap coil, they want to replace the whole air handler and charge me to do it. I've called Carrier (my A/C manufacturer) and they say the coil can be replaced; but AHS won't do it. I guess the way the companies that contract with AHS make their money is by charging you for everything that AHS doesn't cover...which is just about everything.

• Br
      10th of Aug, 2010

We bought a home in 2007 and we had AHS. We had minor things when we moved in like the garbage disposel.
    Than we had a more significate claim and we had to battle with AMS for months to get them to cover our claim.
    To make a long story short, when it came time for renewel we were told we were black flagged and could not renew. They said they could not tell us why over the phone we would have to send in a letter. We did send in a letter and really still did not get a reason why would not renew.
    We know it is because we had about 6 different things we called them out to fix. The flier said they cannot turn you down for the amount of claims you file...the flier is wrong. If you file so many claims(even though you paid the 60.00 service fee) you will not be allowed to renew with them.THIS IS A FACT.
    I will not recommend AMS to anyone. They are a very dishonest company that does not want to pay covered services.

19th of Aug, 2010

If you are disgusted with ahs's business tactics, customer relations and denial of true, valid claims (ie: breach of contract)...

Here's some info:

If you're seeking ceo david crawford's voicemail - here's how.

Dial 1-866-305-0259 as stated above. when the phone system says "thank you for calling american home shield... please enter your representative's extension" -

Do the following:

Enter ext. # 1000

The greeting will then say: "welcome to avia messaging, please enter the mailbox # of the person you are calling... if you don't know the mailbox number, press star (*) to spell the name"...

After that sentence, immediately press star (*) - then spell david crawford's last name:

Just input, "craw"... you will then be taken to: dave crawford's voicemail...

Kindly leave your message.

If you want to call bluff - redial the 1-866 number above, go to ext. 1000 and then input judy's extension "2100" (judy peedic - the executive assistant to david crawford) - it will take you to her voicemail (or she will pick up) - so the avia messaging system is that of ahs...

Also, another executive assistant to david crawford is a person by the name of "matthew boyd" his extension is 2103 at the same 1-866 number listed above (again, his extension also works in the avia messaging system @ ahs).

I hope american home shield makes right on alot of the breach of contract issues... :)

Pass the info on to any site you see that contains ahs complaints!!!

• Jk
      14th of Sep, 2010

i have been w/ out AC since 08/23, which is the date i initiated a service order to fix. today is 09/14, and am still w/ out AC. i phoned in earlier for a status update, after i was told last week that the replacement unit would be ready 09/14 (09/15 at the latest), the unit won't be avaialbe until 09/20.

pains points:
    a month w/ out AC,
    bad communication >< AHS & customer (me),
    bad communication >< AHS & AC contractors,
    terrible assistance provided through-out period of not having AC,
    AHS doesn't care for customers,
    AHS delays payments to contractors,
    Contractors hate dealing with AHS,
    why is AHS still in business...?

• Ze
      19th of Nov, 2010
    Ahs: American Home Shield - Failed service
    AHS: American Home Shield

Mr. A has been dealing with AHS (American Home Shield) for over 2 years regarding his air conditioner. During the past year alone, he have been at his residence for 5 times just to place another band aid on an air conditioner that is located on the beach and has become so badly deteriorated that independent ac service companies upon doing his "required maintenance, according AHS" say that it needs to be replaced, but AHS refuse to accept this and instead Mr. A pay another $60 until it breaks back down 4 months later.

This year alone Mr. A has paid $300 in "service fees" and it still is not working. Mr. A suppose they know as soon as he get a new ac he will cancel, but actually he is now spending more per year when he could have just bought a new ac and cancelled from these crooks 2 years ago.

29th of Nov, 2010

Yeah, I had pretty fair luck with them until a really expensive part broke on my jetted tube. Motor went out. it took them almost three weeks to come back with the wrong motor. NO phone calls to me to update me on their progress. When I pointed out to the tech that the 3/4 HP motor he was trying to replace my 3HP motor with would not work he seemed stumped. I took him to my computer and after about a minute found the motor he needed to order. Gave him all of the contact info and cost and he left. That has been over a week ago and no word from him. I have left two messages. I called AHS office and was told basically "Good luck" . seems they have not control and maybe not even any contact with their contractors. Told me the tech was making calls and it may be a few hours before he could return my call. since my original call was on October 25th and today was November 29th, I told her I had had about all of the patience I could and wanted this resolved. Again, told Good Luck by the lady from AHS. Who knows. I will probably have to buy the thing and replace it myself.

15th of Dec, 2010

They are attempting to breach their contract with me for a Pool control panel. It's a component of the pool equipment, which is above ground and accessible, as stated in the "covered" section of their contract. Yet they are tyring to claim that because I can go outside and manually turn on pool equipment, there really is no defect. I will fight them on this. The agent first tried to read me language out of the contract that said, "AHS has the sole right to determine, according to the terms of this contract, whether a covered item will be repaired or replaced." I explained that this language gives them the right to repair or replace, not to REJECT.
    Bottom line, they are dishonest, and lack inegrity in their business processes. If you have a choice, do not do business with this company.

• Me
      1st of Feb, 2011
    American Home Shield - Money scam
    Freedom Heating And Air

My heater broke 10 days ago AHS sent a repair company out they looked at the unit and said yep its broken we need to order parts so I payed the service call.7 days later and may unanswered phone call later they showed used parts that did not go with this unit.Well it work for about 3hrs and now does not.AHS cant seem to find someone to come work on it now so I have to pay for more nights at a motel why don't they just spend the money to hire honest company's to do there work?

• Rv
      11th of Feb, 2011

We just had a tech come out b/c our compressor stopped working (btw, it's 20 degrees outside at night!). The tech apparently is required to photograph certain items and turn them into AHS. One of the items is the filter. I'll admit, it had not been cleaned this month and did have some "dust" on it but it was not 100% clogged. Within and hour of the tech leaving I got a call that they are denying our claim b/c the filter was clogged and caused the compressor to burn out. When I explained to them that the compressor was approximately 12 years old (the average life span of a compressor) and that we clean the filter on a regular basis the woman told me it was our lack of maintenance that caused this problem so now we are going to be out $1300 to have a new one installed. They fix the things that are convenient for them and will look for the smallest reasons to deny your claim. I work in insurance and understand about grounds for denial and this is a company looking to take people's money and deny for anything they can find. We purchased the warranty when we moved into our house 4 years ago for piece of mind. Instead we have paid them $450 a year for nothing. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Instead save your own money so that when they deny your claim, you're not out your premium plus the cost to do the home repairs. Lesson learned!

14th of Feb, 2011
    American Home Shield - Rude, lazy, arrogant
    American Home Shield

Dont' ever use American Home Shield or Carter plumbing services which is one of their vendors. AHS partners with companies that don't want to work or provide any services. If they worke to save the insurance company money by refusing to do any work and hanging up the phone etc etc, then they shouldn't be allowed to be sent out to customers by AHS.

Carter plumbing is AWFUL. I called to complain, and the lady was like if you don't like just go somewhere else. She can say this cause she can. They have a corporate accound dont' have to do anything to work for their money. AHS sends them out, they get 60 bucks for 2 minutes of consulting and leave and move on to the next AHS customers

• Ac
      18th of Mar, 2011

i repair plumbing for ahs every day and the people that have the biggest complaint are the ones who dont read their warranty some dont cover everything and some do. and the flat rate is not true i get paid more for fixing your problems that i do for denying them, you need to understand that ahs doesnt cover it if you broke it or neglected to maintain it. call a tech it costs you 60 dollars

• Do
      20th of Mar, 2011

ace63376 - You are correct. Homeowners need to make sure they read their contracts carefully. There are so many different ones out there and each have their own limitations and exclusions.

• El
      4th of Jun, 2011

According to my experience of 10 years with this Company I had no problems until beginning of May 2011 when I placed a Service Call for my Heat Pump Condensor. After 2 visits from their contractor, the Condensing unit was beyond repair. Therefore AHS agreed to send a new unit to be installed while I pay the installation fee of $ 300. The unit was received by the Contractor on May 10 according to AHS. As of this writing: June 04/2011 the unit has to be installed regardless of the several calls I made to AHS and their contractor with no solution insight. Now today Saturday June 04/2011 AHS are telling me that I will not have an answer from them until next Tuesday the earliest. The Lady I was peaking with: 1/ refused to pass me to her supervisor so I can bring closure to the problem. 2/ She is referring my case to what she called: Cash in lieu and if I understood her correctly they would offer me a cash settlement to buy a unit and install it at my expense for what a cost difference would be? Is not such a breach of contract? I will have my Lawyer check on such, as well as I will be notifying BBB. If anybody reads my message and experienced similar problem, please, post the solution you arrived to. As to renewing the contract of 10 years with AHS, it would take an act of congress. Thank you all for any information you can spare.

• Ho
      9th of Jun, 2011

After what I read here, I am both disgusted and disappointed that my mortgage company, Wells Fargo, would continue to call trying to sell this scam. Because I have a mortgage with them, apparently that allowed them to get around the "Do Not Call" list I registered for years ago.

• Ha
      21st of Jun, 2011
    AHS--American Home Shield - Will not respond to a service call
    AHS--American Home Shield
    Memphis
    Tennessee
    Phone: 1-888-247-4777

Will not respond to request for repair.

• Rh
      8th of Mar, 2017

@Harold Caudle American home shield is not a good company in doing business. there contracts are full of lies. do not do business here. I had to have service, after calling them, the next day I got a plumber to check my problem, there was a leaking pipe, inside the wall behind the sink, he fixed, drained, cleaned out line and I paid him. they will not pay anything on service. I have requested full refund of monies paid to them and requested it be cancelled. I replaced my atm, they can no longer debit it. now i'll wait and see if I even hear from them, chances are I won't. this company needs to be shutdown in my opinion.