American Greetings / Overcharged

American Greetings
This company has obviously done their research. They know that most consumers will not be able to reach them while their 'trial membership' is in effect in order to cancel it. They make it almost impossible to reach them in fact with a very frustrating automated phone system with no obvious menu item for talking to a human. I'm sure that there is one there but I couldn't find it until I tried technical support. Once you miss canceling your trial membership (and most will no doubt) they will bill you $15.99 for a full year membership which you don't want. If you're lucky enough to notice this on your credit card statement as I was - good luck getting anyone on the phone to complain! There are multiple instances of disclaimers saying that there are no refunds once this billing has taken place - it's just your tough luck. The sad thing is that I actually thought that I had canceled this during the free trial.

This company is clearly taking advantage of people with the type of billing that has been all but banned amongst cable and phone companies who used to try to do this - offering a service for free as a hook and then forcing the consumer to jump through hoops to stop this service from becoming a cyclical automated billing nightmare.

N  13th of Mar, 2009 by
Hello. Call me the Insider. AG business tactics are very shady. Being an insider, I can tell you they try their best to make it as easy as possible to start a membership but make it nearly impossible for customers to cncel. Even if you're within the 30-day refund period they only allow you to turn off the auto renewal over the phone line so you ask yourself..why wont theylet me get a refund? shady.

This is how to get in touch with someone at the Sales department to cancel your membership.

To cancel your AmericanGreetings.com memberships, contact the Customer Sales number at 1-800-711-4474. When given the Automated System options, say "New Membership" to be directed to a live representative.

To cancel your BlueMountain.com memberships, contact the Customer Sales number at 1-888-254-1450. When given the Automated System options, say "New Membership" to be directed to a live representative.
A  8th of Dec, 2009 by
Thank you SO MUCH for the phone number. I had to FIGHT on the phone to get my money back. 30-day "free trial" was billed to my credit card 7 days later. The girl I spoke with originally had NO POWER. I insisted on speaking to her supervisor who ALSO fought me, telling me I didn't sign up correctly. HA! I stuck to my guns and told them I would NOT pay this bill and would take it to the Better Business Bureau if necessary. They immediately gave me a cancellation number and HUNG UP.
A  9th of Dec, 2009 by
I will NEVER buy another AMERICAN GREETINGS card again. This company is such a fraud. If they were truly customer oriented instead of money mongers, they would make canceling memberships available online and would not claim that their customers "automatically" signed up for renewals each year. Just try getting through to their number to cancel a membership...impossible to do in the timeline given. I despise this company and it's underhanded methods of operation. HALLMARK has my forever business! They have a good reputation for a reason.
A  29th of Dec, 2009 by
I had their service for 2 years. They kept jacking up the price and now they are $29.99. I thought No Way! So I try to cancel. It is a nightmare. IT is super easy to sign up online, but you have to use there phone system to cancel. Canceling is not as hard as getting a refund within 30 days as the Terms of Sale state. I wasted hours trying to get a hold of a customer service rep until I read this blog and asked for a New Membership instead. I asked the lady if there had been another way to get in contact with a person and she said no...I also looked around the website...no customer service email...not good. I hope to see my credit card credited soon..if not, I'll let you know and file a complaint with BBB and the Attorney General.
N  27th of Jan, 2010 by
Don't waste your time (we learned first hand) by calling the 800 number. Call 216-252-6778 to reach
a customer service rep by phone.

The link below my posts to another complaint against AG on the Complaints Board with good info
and the link that lists their different phone numbers.
A  27th of Jan, 2010 by
A  28th of Jul, 2010 by
Thanks! I only I knew

There was an unknown charge on my bank statement (probably via identity theft). But, found it impossible to get through. Since I never have done business with them, I could file a claim with my bank and be done with it!
A  8th of Oct, 2011 by
If I did sign up for a trial, I honestly don't know!
I received no email or phone confirmation, or receipt for the $15.99 that showed up in my checking as a debit charge last week. I have disputed the charge with my credit union (in process) and tried in vain to contact AM. Even by email, if I use the contact page, it now say, sorry this page is temporarily unavailable. On top of that I have received any goods!
There is a list of other email contacts on their main site, the relevant ones like 'consumer.relations' just bounces when I email it.
When I try to sign on as a new member, it does not recognize any of my email addresses. Gee, that's funny I thought I had paid them for a membership, if not what was the money for?
I guess at some point I agreed to give them some money and they did not have to do anything for it, not even issue a receipt.
There are many companies that are hard to deal with or to change things after joining, or making a purchase, but this one is clearly predatory!
A  8th of Oct, 2011 by
I just filed a dispute with my bank for the $15.99 AMG charged me last week on my debit card.
I received no goods, no communication and not even a receipt for the charge.
I figured I must be a member now, so I tried to sign up and it rejected all my emails as not being registered with them.
Go figure!
Yes, contacting them is another circus. I have not tried to call after reading all the complaints, I did try and send them
an email. I emailed them straight info@am...com and got nothing back and it's been 5 days.
I tried to email from their website and now get a This Page is Temporarily Unavailable. Hopefully the dispute will
put an end to it. I would avoid them at all costs!
A  8th of Aug, 2015 by
I cancelled my membership - SUCCESSFULLY - online over an entire day before my trial period ended. Then, lo and behold, they charged me anyway! I tried to call, but it was only some automated person who said I didn't exist in their system (funny, I seemed to exist well enough when it was time for them to take my money). I emailed them and YAY, got an answer! I go onto my bank account a few days later to see they only gave me a partial refund!! TELL ME what exactly entitles them to keep ANY of my money when I clearly and successfully canceled in plenty of time?!? I'm the one who should get the extra for the hassle of having to call/contact them in the first place! I regret EVER having used this stupid company and it will be the LAST time I will ever make that mistake. I've even boycotted their in-store cards!

American Greetings Corporation Logo American Greetings Corporation