American Express / incredibly unprofessional and poor service!

I started an account with American Express in December. American Express Customer Service called to get confirmation of my Employer (a fortune 500 company) that has been in existence for over 100 years! On the first call, I gave her my work phone. She then told me she needed a receptionist number who will connect her to my phone. After 3 calls, I was assured that everything was in order.

The next day, I received another call asking for confirmation of my home address. Together on a conference call, we called my bank to confirm banking information and home address. Again, I bank with a very well-known bank. At that time, I was told everything is in order, and I have been approved.

After making 3 charges, my card was rejected at all places. When I called American Express Customer Service, I was told that they needed to confirm my employer because there was nothing in their system showing the 3 calls made and also banking and address information. The service I received was incredibly unprofessional and poor. They had not cared if I canceled the card.

To top it off, on my last attempt to correct this situation, I was told I had to fax a copy of my driver license and social security card notarized by a bank.

I just paid off the amount. I have never encountered a company who is so segregated by department that one department is not authorized to help another. I have been a faithful American Express customer for the last 10 years through my use of their travelers’ checks and services abroad. But, this experience is most disappointing.

Va

Comments

• Kr
      29th of Mar, 2007

American Express canceled my cards after being a loyal customer for 20 years. Upon learning of the cancellation I immediately contacted AMX and was told to bring my account balance to zero and they would reinstate my accounts. I paid the entire balance on three AMX cards totaling nearly $40,000.(within 30 days) One of the three was not canceled. I contacted AMX after paying balances to find out why the accounts were not reinstated and was informed the account supervisor that made the arrangement with me was not available and should not have authorized the reinstatement. I have been a loyal customer for 20 years without any other issues. Amx should honor their agents commitments to their customers. I acted in good faith with a company I deemed trustworthy.

3rd of May, 2008

Take this then ...

Upgrade an AMEX from GOLDEN to PLATINUM, the software will automatically cancel the Golden one if you have no debts and that's all. They didn't re-compensate back the money you already paid at the beginning of the year. In my case I paid in July 2007 130 for Golden Amex ( one year fee), in Jan 2008 I applied for Platinum based on the forms they send me, I never used Golden but only today May 3-rd 2008 and to discover that the payment was refused, I payed by debit card and when I get back home I called them and find out what is wrong with the card. I ask them WHEN and WHO canceled the card .. THEY DID, WHEN they canceled ? .. IN JANUARY, it means that I paid 130 for a year they own back me the amount between Jan and Jul ( around 65$ half of the year). In the phone conversation I get the money with no resistance from AMEX which proves that they recognize their mistake, but my next question was why your software didn't do that automatically ... Hm it is easy because foolish my loss and them win free money. ... ok but how much per year, If a million switch a year they win in average 65 millions, ( I consider that some might do that at the begging of the period some at the end so it is and average).

I do not think this is fair either. ... and the authorities should force them to refund the money back.

• Bn
      18th of Nov, 2008

I have had a personal amex blue account for several years. Recently, l I called them to set up a special payment plan to accomodate our financial situation of late. My husband is an outside sales rep. His pay has decreased due to lack of sales. I still have the person's name and extension I spoke with. I set up pmt to be deducted from my personal bank account on the 30th of every month for 1 year. The Sept. pmt was deducted. However, Oct. pmt was not. I realized it when collections called my cell phone to advise me the acct had been turned over to them. I tried several times to contact the csr. I left numerous messages for her to return my call. I spoke with other reps who stated that pmt could not be automatically deducted. They stated it was up to me to call and make a phone pmt by the due date. I finally was able to speak with a supervisor, Craig Schaffer (if that's his real name). I was absolutely attacked verbally over the phone . He stated "Katy did not tell you that and we are done dealing with you." (and turned the volume up about ten fold! ) I then requested to speak with his boss. He then stated, "why? you aren't going to change anything." I asked 4 times in a row to speak with his boss. He wouldn't allow it. I requested the name of his boss. He would not give me the information I requested. My rights have been completely violated. I did nothing to deserve any of this. I'm trying my best to do the right thing in a very difficult time; they made a mistake; and they do not plan to make it right. So, I now have a strike against me on my credit report due to Katy's mistake of not entering the info or giving me false info. I have contacted the credit bureau to inform them. Mr. Schaffer was trying to intimidate me into thinking there was no way this could be reversed. The very idea that he stated "we are done dealing with you" was absolutely the most hostile statement I've ever received from any customer service rep or manager. All of my creditors were more than happy to accomodate me due to the fact that I was attempting to avoid having any delinquencies. In the meantime, I've had no choice but to set up payment with collections.