Alaska Airlines / Bereavement

1 United States

My grandmother passed this past week. While she was in the hosptial my mother booked a flight down there. We called in asking about a bereavement fair, and the gentleman on the phone mentioned it would be 15% discount. But since she had not passed he couldn't offer the discount. He mentioned nothing about having to have a "full flex ticket", and inferred he could refund the amount to my card (as opposed to manually entering a discount when booking the ticket over the phone)

When she passed a couple of days ago, I purchased 3 more tickets for the rest of my family to attend the funeral. It cost of $2, 000 - which based on my previous interaction - lead me to assume I would get credited 15% of the total.

Fast forward - the manager on the phone I spoke to tells me the following:

She would cancel the tickets
Charge us a 100 cancel fee per ticket
Re-buy the more expensive "full flex tickets"
Effectively saving is zero money

I was informed by a friend (who happens to be a flight attendant for your company), that alaska was too customer satisfaction for 6 years straight with JD Power. I have to say, I received zero help, and was shown zero compassion for my situation.

Please explain how 15% from a ticket that costs 30% more than your cheapest ticket is going to save me any money?

A simple refund of 15%