Alamo / unauthorized insurance charges

I rented a car from Alamo at the T F Green Airport in Rhode Island. I made an electronic reservation for the car, a GPS device for the week, and on my E-reservation chose NOT to have insurance coverage since I am covered by my own insurance. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was asked three separate times if I wanted coverage, and three times I emphatically refused. Since I was in a line with several other people, the sales person whipped the document across the counted and said, "initial here, here, sign here," and so I did. He then printed out a receipt, stuck it in the rental folder and directed me to the car lot. It was only later that I noted that the document included a charge of $160.00 for insurance. Every call to Alamo has met with the same response: you signed, therefore it's a legal document. However, this is clearly fraud which takes advantage of a rushed situation where people are travel-weary, hurried, and interested in completing the rental transaction. They are running a scam which relies of people's inattention to 'legal' documents.

Pe

Comments

• Re
      20th of Jul, 2007

I've been there. A rental agent would try to push insurance or something else they're selling and I'd say, "NO", and they'd try to get me to quickly sign the contract since there was such a long line behind me. The difference between you and me is, I look at the big bold number on the page that states the total. If it doesn't match what I expected, I let 'em have it.

You're not a kid anymore, be an adult and take responsibility for what you sign. If you're stupid enough to sign for something you don't want then you should be stuck paying for it. I got a bridge for sell if you just sign on the dotted line...

11th of Nov, 2007

I have the same situation just like this. This is happened to me in Orlando Airport on 06-Nov-2007, you say not is not not enough, the trick they play is to rush you to sigh the paper without explanation. They quaintly highlighted the insurance and ask you to sign there. If you do not read line carefully and you will be scammed. When you found out, it is legally contract. That is how they make money from you. If this is the way they make money, Who knows what that insurance really covered, if something really happened to that car, you have to pay for the lost.
    Does anyone know where can I file a complaint to let them fix this issue?

• Ji
      7th of Feb, 2008

Watch out for Alamo Auto Rental on Kauai. They run a scam on extended insurance coverage. After the agent asked if I wanted the extended coverage, which I did not, and I initialed the 3 to 4 "I decline" coverage lines, and sign the rental agreement, they quickly swamped forms. I asked to have a copy of what I just signed, the agent refused saying “it’s ok this copy will be on file, please sign this one other form.” I felt the agent was a credible person of a credible company, so I blindly initialed. When I returned the car, I was surprised to learn the last form actually stated I “accept all additional coverage.” I asked to see the manager. The manager was rather harsh in greeting me with “this is your signature, right?” I asked to see my original. They said it was sent to corporate. I asked for their number. They refused to give it to me until I gave them the rental agreement in my hand, which was the version they swap. Therefore, I gave it to them to copy. It was right after they had a copy that I realized they would show this swap agreement as the original. I grabbed the copy, but as soon as I had the copy, the agent loudly said “give us back our original!” At that time I knew it was not a single occurrence and the whole place was in on the scam.

• St
      15th of May, 2010

I've just been forced by Alamo to buy Extended Protection at Savannah Airport. The Agent said it was a requirement of Georgia State Law and that she would not let me have the car without it. I feel stupid but I'm from the UK and can't be expected to know the details of each state's law. Surely I am entitled to expect that the Agent will not tell me a point blank lie.

• Rv
      20th of Apr, 2011
    Alamo T F - Unauthorized insurance charges
    Alamo T F

I rented a car from Alamo at the T F Green Airport in Rhode Island. I made an electronic reservation for the car, a GPS device for the week, and on my E-reservation chose NOT to have insurance coverage since I am covered by my own insurance. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was asked three separate times if I wanted coverage, and three times I emphatically refused. Since I was in a line with several other people, the sales person whipped the document across the counted and said, "initial here, here, sign here, " and so I did. He then printed out a recept, stuck it in the rental folder and directed me to the car lot. It was only later that I noted that the document included a charge of $160.00 for insurance. Every call to Alamo has met with the same response: you signed, therefore it's a legal document. However, this is clearly fraud which takes advantage of a rushed situation where people are travel-weary, hurried, and interested in completing the rental transaction. They are running a scam which relies of people's inattention to 'legal' documents.

• Fs
      4th of Feb, 2013

why don't people just simply call, and ask for a police to attend if this is possible at the time. And state that the rental agent is committing a scam explain the situation to the officer, and see what can be done to rectify, and have on record this situation taking place. As well you need to read the total cost, and sign the document, and just take a copy of it yourself without giving the agent the chance to screw you over.