Airtel Blackberry Prepaid Service / blackberry service not working

1 India Review updated:

Airtel did had problems in activating my blackberry service for 299 plan (Prepaid). The amount was deducted from my balance and I was promised that service will start within 24 - hours. But it never started. I made calls of more than rs.100 to the so-called 'blackberry technical support" and all what I got as reply was "prepaid customers are not our priority, and they are helpless and I may have to wait for an uncertain amount of time atleast 10 days to any amount of time to get my service activated". Also I was never given any kind of reference number for complaints I registered. Not to mentions there horrible and unskilled officials there who use to put me on long holds, sometimes even upto 10 minutes or even disconnecting the calls after putting on long holds. Remember airtel charges money for it. And to specific number which I was calling ending with 7070 they were charging the normal call rates. No clear solution to the issue was ever presented or addressed. All the while hints were dropped to me that if I was post-paid customer the service would have guaranteedly started in 4 hours ! I was really taken aback at such a fraudulent behavior on part of airtel. Moreover it was painful to see how prepaid customers for blackberry gets step-motherly treatment. It was really terrible on part of airtel when it was revealed that they cannot guarantee blackberry service to prepaid customers when prepaid customers are the one who guarantees them the money by pre-paying it.

I also wrote to and called nodal officers but none ever replied. Airtel has provided some worst quality service and customer care in all this. After 10 days, I finally understood by now that service by airtel is hopeless for me, and there is no guarantee that it will ever be activated, even if it gets activated and some problem arises in future I would not be able to stand airtel's incompetent 'technical support'. So I finally asked for my refund as it was only ten days and they were unable to get service activated. They initially declined to refund. But after some hard talks and implications that I would be moving to consumer court and ask for refund+compensation (For all the financial and mental trouble they caused) + (If possible) a public apology in all the leading newspapers. Finally and fortunately, they had to oblige and give me 100% refund.

I instantly changed my service provider. And voila ! As soon as my new number from other operator activated my blackberry services were also activated.

This incident really has tarnished airtel's reputation in my eyes. As far as my blackberry service for prepaid is concerned I experienced lack of transparency and really horrible and incompetent customer service. And in future, I know I will never recommend airtel or any of it's services to anyone.

Ur

Comments

• Su
      3rd of Mar, 2010

Facing the same issue here..

• Gu
      13th of May, 2010

even im faing the same issue... calling helpdesk or sending mails are of no use... i want to discontinue blackberry service 299 and activate 899 but since 4 months same issue i tried calling helpdesk many times but in vains .. and i went to Airtel office many times but same issue, i really think their licence must be cancelled if they give this type of support to the Customers.

• Mu
      4th of Mar, 2011
    airtel bbm service - cheated

I am being using Airtel blackberry messanger service were the plan is automatically reneiwed without any confirmation on 15th of every month and today 3rd day of the month they have send the message that your blackberry plan is deactivated.what i feel is after fecthing money by deducting balance of the customers by activating message services without any request, unnecessarily they have found the new way of making money

• La
      9th of Feb, 2012

Airtel Blackberry services are hopeless. The excuses they give range from 24hrs wait period for activation, removal of SIM, Device incompatibility, under process to replacement of wrong SIM. It had been more than 9 days in constant pursuit for solution. Amount is deducted but there is no service yet. Paid several visits to the Hyderabad BB office. Spent money on several calls (at least 25 calls) to 9866007070. Highly recommend All not to activate Blackberry services with Airtel. They suck big time.