AIG Travel Guard / Scam and fraud!

United States Review updated:
3.35
My mother booked a trip with friends to Nauvoo with a well know travel agency in UT. The Travel agent suggested she purchase AIG travel guard ins. for $250.00 just in case she wasn't able to go due to some medical conditions she has had. Prior to any airline tickets being issued she became ill and I immediately canceled the trip. After MONTHS of faxing, phone calls and their requesting medical records (that they claim they have every right to) AIG has still denied the claim.

I am disgusted with their red tape and feel they are taking advantage of my elderly mother. DON'T BUY AIG TRAVEL GUARD INS. you will be out the cost of the trip anyway but you'll save $250.00.
Jb

Comments

Li
  17th of Jan, 2009
Purchased a cruise with air from a local travel co. and a purchase of Travel Guard "Gold"! The day before we were to leave my husband suffered a detached retina. The eye Dr. said no to any travel. Called AIG Travel Guard recieved a claim # and then filed all the papers. We recieved word that out of $1732. claim they are only paying $834.! What happened to the co. policy statement-insurance co. reimburses the traveler for ALL nonrefundable expenses? That's in the writing on our policy.
As of now I would NEVER buy Travel Guard again. And to think I've bought it for 9 cruises! What a joke!
I have asked my travel agent for any help. Don't know what she can do but it's worth the try.
Ma
  28th of Feb, 2009
Airline rerouted us due to Job action by their pilots, ground crew and air traffic contyrollers. Lost a day at the hotel, plus delayed baggage for most of the week. Travelguard denied the claim stating they excluded carrier problems.
Rip Off do not buy from them.
Vi
  26th of Feb, 2010
I won't burden you with my tragic story but take my heed and do not use Travel Guard, they are rip off artists, they require a library full of documentation to even qualify for a review to see if you are eligible to receive the reimbursement YOU PAID FOR. And I mean you have to have every receipt every conformation number, every doctor, every hospital, every every every. Then they take months to review and won't even talk to you unless it has been 5 weeks, ( I am serious) says so right on their form! Then no matter how much proof you have or how many doctors that verify and even write hand written notes to re-verify they will refuse to pay you. Don't bother wasting your money! And what is really sad their premiums are huge, so you pay top dollars for nothing. However a small portion of our trip I booked on Expedia and their insurance was cheap and they instantly refunded my money, no questions asked. They are cold hearted bigots and if I could figure out a way to put them out of business I would write a million of these.