Afni Collections / Fraudulent collection notice

afne Collections
Afni, inc. tried to collect on some disputed dept that T-MOBILE had written off. The amount was only $32.68, but I was unwilling to fork over any money in this difficult economy. I investigated Oregons law and found out that I was entitled to all information regarding the debt. When I tried to get afni to fax over the information they hung up on me. Subsequent phone calls finally resulted in the ommission that they were cancelling my account with them : i.e.- they would no longer pursue the matter and would not report anything to the credit reporting agencies. I am still waiting for this confirmation in writing, but I am not holding my breath.

N  3rd of Jul, 2007 by
My nightmare with Afni began a few months ago with a letter stating they were attempting to collect a debt for a Verizon bill I paid (and have proof of payment) from 2000. Unfortunately, I have recently moved and all of my stuff is in storage in another state. Just having started a new job, I couldn't make arrangements to go to NJ to get my records. Knowing that I resolved this issue, I called Verizon and explained the issue. They told me they could not help me because once they sell a debt, they no longer have access to any of the records associated with that debt. They refused to help. However, miraculously, when I found a letter from January, 2001, from Verizon, thanking me for settling this issue, they sent Afni over $200 - for what, I'm not quite sure, as they said they had no records of my situation. Afni would not explain why Verizon made them a payment, either. They just sent me a new statement with the balance reflecting the Verizon payment. As my credit is very important to me, I paid the remaining balance. That was before I found this website and was shocked at how many people are dealing with the same fraudulent situation. I wrote to anyone who would listen - no one - and am now going to file a suit against Afni and, possibly, Verizon. This is absolutely criminal and unethical and they should be sued by as many people as who have the energy to fight this fight and deal with the frustration. They are counting on the fact that people have moved, don't keep old records, etc., and the fear around having one's credit ruined. This should not go unpunished!!! If anyone has any other suggestions as to what I can do, please let me know.
A  16th of May, 2008 by
Same thing is happening to me. From a so said unpaid bill from 1999. Its 2008! Afni said they got the collections notice in 2006 and sent me a collections letter in 2007. They sent it to the wrong address and I have been out of the country. Now almost 10 years later I am getting a bill that is a complete suprise to me. So, why did Verizon not contact me? Why wait so many years that I have an inflated charge I know nothing about? Who can help me? Verizon is the culprit.
A  3rd of Nov, 2008 by
Afni Collections has sent me a notice saying I owe qwest $616.00 . I have not done business with Qwest since 2002.
I am still waiting for documentation to support their claim. Everyone scammed by these losers should contact the Attorney Generals Office and report what they are doing. Notify the Better Business Bureau as well. There is power in numbers.
A  18th of Nov, 2008 by
I will join your lawsuit! I just received letter in the mail today - collection notice claiming I owe over $300 for an old T-Mobile bill. I've NEVER had a T-Mobile account! They've messed with the wrong person here and I will fight until my dying day to make them pay for this. This is disgusting! I am filing a police report and having a very prominent ny atty write a certified letter to cease and desist and will copy the BBB, atty general and consumer affairs. I am also filing a fraud complaint with the credit agencies. Copies of complaints against Afni from others that have been scammed will be included as attachments to my letter. Also, Help Me Howard will hear about this as well. They don't call us the "fighting irish" for nothing!
N  14th of Feb, 2009 by
I am interested in knowing what were your next steps. I just rec'd letter from this company stating I owe this money. Which I know is impossible! I want to take action but I am not sure what I should do.

Afni Logo Afni
1310 Martin Luther King Dr.
United States - 61701-1465