Advance Auto Parts / bad customer treatment

I recently purchased 2 halogen head lamps from advance auto parts, the sales person was polite and asked if I needed two or 1. I stated that I should probably get two because I was not sure if both higbeams were out or not and told him if it doesn't work I will just return them.

After getting home and determining the bulb(s) were not the cause, I tried to return the bulbs 1.5 hours later. I was then told that because I had touched the bulbs I could not return them and that they were no good anymore. I am now trying to understand how I am supposed to put a bulb in my car without touching it and if that is the case, why was I not told this at the point of sale and where does it say this on the bulb package.in my opinion this is not any way to treat customers. I will be calling the regional president and will never, never, never and did I say never shop at advance auto parts again. It is my mission to deter everyone that I know from ever shopping at this store.

Comments

• Ho
      15th of Aug, 2007

Now you know why you need to diagnose the problem before you buy an electrical part. electrical parts are non returnable. if you look in the store, there is a sign that says just that. secondly, you never handle the glass part of the bulb with your bare fingers. the oil on your fingers gets transferred to the bulb, which gets very hot. that can cause the bulb to fracture. where does it say that on the box? I have never seen a halogen bulb box with out that piece of information. maybe if you insist on dyi, buy some books. learn before you do.

• Sc
      23rd of Aug, 2007

The outcome would be the same at any other parts store. Advance does a terrific job and service for their customers.

• Ri
      25th of Jan, 2008

I agree about electrical parts diagnosis and proper bulb handeling, however, I will never buy so much as a sparkplug from advance ever again... bought a timing chain tensioner for my 95 pontiac grand am from them. I am ase certified and have been in the auto repair business since 1967 (I just might be qualified to do this job) bottom line is that the part was defective. the manufacturer (sa gear) said there was nothing wrong with the part (though when I had it, it failed to properly extend) advance told me basically to get lost. damage to my engine: complete cylinder head and one piston.
    Even though I installed it correctly, the chain lost tension on cranking causing the chain to bunch up in front of the exhaust cam gear. my only departure from standard practice was that instead of turning the engine two turns before re-checking cam and crank indexing, I turned it four times, checked indexing and tension at both sides and top before buttoning engine up. (quad 4)
    As far as i'm concerned, advance is a bunch of polite #s who care more about winning than they are about the truth. this is not good or real customer service!!!

4th of May, 2008

I work for the competiton and would have told you the very same thing they did.

• St
      9th of Jun, 2008

I work at the competition, and we would have just defected it out... we still would have got credit for they sale, so you are a [censored].

• La
      3rd of Nov, 2008

your east stroudsburg pa store sucks i called to and they realy ansered this time a i asked joe if he had part for my truck and and i even gave him the part number and said he cant get it or it dont come up i called your broadheadsville store and they heve it whats up with this

25th of Nov, 2008

Howard is correct about the oil on your skin, causing damage to the halogen bulb. However, I agree that it is the salesman's responsibility to inform the customer during the sale about that type of policy especially considering the level of enforcement you received during the return.

At my store, we practice a "No Hassle" return policy, which would allow a return on that type of product while educating the consumer about the issue. We may have 1 out of 10 customers that buy a headlight bulb come back in to return it. To take the return without an issue would result in maintaining our 100% customer satisfaction rate on headlight purchases.

Same ideals would apply to Richard Scordino's situation with his SA gear timing chain tensioner. What benefit is there for the company to dissatisfy an ASE certified mechanic that has years of experience, not to mention ties to the local commercial repair industry? There isn't, the sales that would have been generated by keeping him as a happy customer would have covered the cost of his tensioner. Nothing costs the company more than an unhappy customer.

• Sc
      11th of Mar, 2009

advance auto part store #5455 located in three rivers michigan has a sexual predator working for them. his name is christopher ingersoll date of birth 6/26/1971. he sexually assulted another fellow employee, and was only transferred to another advance auto location in sturgis michigan.he has since been harassing other people but he is a volunteer fireman at fabius/lockport township; and has a badge and carries a gun. police are protecting him due to this. great job advance auto!!!

• Br
      18th of Feb, 2017

@scared citizen advance has a terrible record of just transferring and not dismissing bad team members
    as a former team member i am suprised there are not class action lawsuits against this company

• Do
      22nd of Mar, 2009

From my experience with this place spawned from hades, i'm surprised you even got waited on. it seems to me that aap places number 1 top priority on the phones. what is up with that? i've seen where the place can be extremely busy, (I mean at least ten customers with maybe three employees working), and they would stop helping the walk in customers and answer the damn phone. of course a number of customers, or should I say ex-customers, including myself walked out and went somewhere else. come on people, the walk in customers are more important than the phone. stop slamming the door on us and take our money!!!

• Gg
      2nd of Jun, 2009

I drove into aap today looking to buy products to remove the rust from my door latches, meanwhile an employee was kind enough to come out and look at the latches before recomending what product to purchase. this employee was called back into the store by another employee. I was on my cell phone with the ford company at the time checking to see if this was under warranty before I attempted it myself. meanwhile, another employee comes out of the building, sprays some type of lubricant into my latch, pops it with a screwdriver, slams my car door shut and says "there you go, see ya", very abruptly and rude, and walks back into the store. first of all, I didn't ask this employee to even touch my vehicle let alone come out and pry my latch open with a screwdriver... I came there to ask what products I could purchase! I wanted to do it mysel[censored] I wasn't looking for a handout, nor a man to do the job for me. needless to say, I got in my car, left and purchased my products at a different auto store. this aap is less than 2 miles from my house, and yet, I rather drive 8 miles to go somewhere else than to support that store. rude, poor customer service, and sexist.

• Or
      17th of Jun, 2009

Howard .. you ###... where does it say that electrical parts are non returnable? Obviously reading is an issue with you. So it wouldnt matter if there was a warning on the bulb box or not.

• Ab
      2nd of Aug, 2009

I bought a new battery for my jeep in sept 08. then, in nov 08, i bought a lift motor for my window. the battery had a one year warranty and the motor has a lifetime warranty. i gave them all of my information and they put it into their computers. later, the battery goes out, so i take my car in to advance. they bring out the test kit and find out that the battery was indeed bad. Not having my receipt, they told me this was alright because they would have my info in the computer. also, the battery had a sticker on it that said Sept 08 with an advance label. well needless to say, somehow my information was gone! there was no record of me ever purchasing that battery. so they would not honor the warranty, even though i pointed out that they are the only company to carry the particular brand, and showed them the date sticker on the battery. they still would not honor my warranty, so i bit the bullet and paid full price and got maybe 10$ back for the trade in.

next, about mid July 09, my window lift motor goes out and of course, i didn't have a receipt, but hey, with a lifetime warranty and their computer information system, i figured i would give it the benefit of the doubt and try to get that item covered on warranty. this was also a part that only advance carries, so there is no chance of me getting it elsewhere. i took in the part and said i would like to have it replaced and it has a lifetime warranty. they looked up my information in the computer, and that purchase was gone from their records as well!!!

it seems that they are deleting peoples information just so we will have to pay full price on items that should be covered by warranty. i am in the process of opeining a criminal investigation with my local police department.

• Po
      9th of Sep, 2009

I just visited the Pittsfield Ma. store and never intend to return. AAP advertises customer assistance as one of their selling points but they seem to have open disdain for laymen attempting their own repair. I bought a repair manual from them several days ago to prepare myself for brake line replacement on my Dodge Ram. Today I went back to buy some necessary tools and price brake lines. When asking about prefabricated tube (flared with fittings ) the clerk seemed put out and asked me if its metric and do I need one foot or fifty . I was hoping for intelligent advice and instead got impatient sarcasm.

18th of Sep, 2009

You are all idiots that think your 5 bucks are actually worth something

• Wa
      22nd of Dec, 2009

hi there.look i am working in iraq at the moment and my wife had to go and get a alternator for her 2005 ford mounterner, the cost was$206, and dont get me wrong i have shoped many times at that store with no complaints, we used to be wards european auto service, she had a friend, of mine put it on, and it still did not charge, so she thought it had to be a electrical problem, she had it towed to naples auto electric, and they confurmond that the alternator you gave my wife was defective, i beleave my wife has taken it back today to get her money back i hope with now problems, but the real issue here is because your product, was defective, it cost us a towing bill and a rental car.happy christmas.gordonwardnaples@yahoo.com

• Do
      1st of Jan, 2010

Sure, Naples Auto Elctric would say it was defective no matter what. But what made the alternator go bad in the first place? Was it old or is there a problem with the wiring. You cant trust a shop like Naples Auto Electric, they are known for screwing people over. Before you install the alternator, have it bench checked at the store first.

• 1b
      12th of Feb, 2010

I bought wipers at store 08988 (Columbia MD) this morning.

On walking in, the clerk who was arranging wiper blades (older gentleman, about 55, about 6' 1", full head of greyish white hair, glasses). was extraordinarily rude, almost interrogating my as I tried to locate the blades I needed: "Do you need help? do you need blades with pins? if you need 24s, they're all going to be the same, those wipers you just picked up don't go there...HELLO!!!????".

That is exactly what he said, after peppering me with questions...he went (very loudly, and within earshot of the guys running the registers)..

"HELLOOOO?"

I wanted to become very angry with him right on the spot, but instead simply turned around and glared at him. I must have startled him, because after staring him down for about 3 seconds, I informed him I would use the electronic guide.

The idiot wandered off to leave me on my own. (good thing too, since I was very angry, and what he was telling me I should buy was wrong anyway).

Since he was acting the way he was within earshot of who I assume was managing the store, I saw no point in venting to the manager. I paid for my blades and left (with the guy who was so very, very rude to me going outside with another customer to check her battery).

Is this the way Advance Auto Parts like clerks to treat customers? Doesn't the clerk know customers make it possible for him to get...PAID?

I will steer clear of this store, nor will I recommend it to people I know. This particular store must being doing just fine if they can afford to treat paying customers in this manner..

• Bi
      19th of Apr, 2010

I will never, ever shop at advance auto in marion, va again. I have been a mechanic for over forty years (ase certafied), but today was my last trip into their store. the manager was nothing more than a "hamburger flipper". he was totaly useless when it came to a warrenty problem. I paid for a starter with a lifetime warrenty twice. it wont happen again!!!

• Se
      7th of Sep, 2010

I went into a restaurant and asked the waitress if indeed my stomach was rumbling because it was hungry, she said "most likely it is yes". so I asked what I could do about it, she said"we have a wonder full menu full of really cheap food". I was confused... I mean all this food what kind of food do I need. so I asked her what I should put in my stomach to remedy the problem... she said "a nice size hamburger with french fries or homefries will fix that stomach for awhile". I asked how much?... she said $4.95, I almost fell on the floor, how could they possibly charge so much for a stomach fix! I told her her prices were outrageous, but ordered the hamburger with homefries anyway. after giving her attitude and no tip I existed with my full stomach. the next day I couldn't believe it my stomach was rumbling again... so I went back to the restaurant and asked the see the manager... I wanted my money back because their fix didn't make me happy at all and that the waitress made me eat my own food!! this restaurant is ridiculous! the manager said he knows the food wasn't as filling as in the past but he has no control over it because corporate outsourced all the foods to china and he too has noticed higher prices and cheaper results. I will never go back to that restaurant and they are the building next door... I will drive across the city where they will feed me for free!!

C'mon people your talking about an autoparts store not
    A - don't be ridiculous yourself - know what you drive!
    B - if you don't want the aftermarket solution go to the dealer! (see if that makes you happy)
    C - the salesperson doesn't get paid for doing anything for you. and no commission... heck they barely get paid.
    D - the salesperson on the floor works in what is called the diy area do it yourself this means he is there to assist you in finding the right parts for your car, he does not need to be an expert... because you are going to do it yourself. this place saves you tons of cash!
    E - if you don't want to do it yourself then go to a garage its that simple!
    F - wanna see an advance employee happy actually try to do something yourself... these are real people treat them as real people and by the end of the day maybe they will still be able to treat you with the respect of a good person.
    G - educate yourself and realize how irresponsible and cry-babyish you all sound..
    H - if you put the wrong fluid in your car... im sorry for you but its your responsibility not theirs holy crap!!
    H - stop taking everything back make a damn commitment... they have free rental tools to use!

• Br
      13th of Sep, 2010

Alright I bought motor mount from adavnced autoparts it turned out to be the worng part even though I gave them the correct information in regards to my car; so I took the part back to get an exchange and found they still did not have the correct part for my car??? so I asked for refund for the part they sold me; then they asked me for my receit which I have misplaced (lost) so they told me they could only issue me a store credit! for a part they don't have!!! and I am trying figure how this policy works for the consumer that needs the part??? do I now buy oil and use it as a motor mount with my store credit? this does not help!!! I paid cash aleast find the part at another store or try to order the right part. never again will I deal stupid policies such this; then I called advanced autoparts cutomer care and they compared themselves to walmart as to store policies without a reciet; un - beleiveable I came in your store for a specific part you gave me the wrong part took my money then told me without a reciet you can only issue me a store credit for a part you dont have but your willing to take your part back; there is no customer satification!!! and I am stuck with a store credit that is absolutley useless to my needs!! buyer beware; then to make thing worst they couldn't find me in the computer and I watched the clerk input my information at the point of sales; what a waist of time and energy never have I such a bad encounter with an autoparts store.