ADT / liars

For all the good opinions, just wait till you want to cancel…

I signed up for ADT when I moved into my new house 4 yrs ago. I already had the security systems installed and I called them asked for monitoring service.

The sales rep came in and signed me for 3 yrs for 34.99/month. He never once mentioned it was a three year contract. I just bought the house and didn't read the fine print carefully...

After a year when I tried to cancel, they told me it's a 3-yr contract and basically told me I deserved it. Not only that, they raised rate on me and told me although I was bound by the contract, the fine prints said they could raise rates any time they wanted.

At last, 3-yr passed and I tried to cancel, they immediately lower the rate to 19.99/month without contract on month-by-month basis, I said OK - big mistake.

After 11 months I tried to cancel again, the representative was very rude and said I was under contract, I said no and he demanded proof. I said you guys told me on the phone last year...

After very lengthy conversation, they finally gave in... But as a FAVOR to me!

It's a terrible experience, they were very nice to sign you up, once you are on the hook, they would try anything and everything to squeeze you... unbelievable practice

I'll never deal with the company again.

Va

Comments

• Jv
      11th of May, 2009

I have had a similar experience with ADT and was scammed into a 3 year contract by the ADT Salesperson. There is no mention of the contract on the page I was asked to sign. I realized this when I called to cancel and then found that there is a light print about the contract on back of the page. Buyer BEWARE!!

• Ji
      3rd of Jun, 2009

If you dont READ a contract, shame on you !
    How is it a company's fault?
    You dont buy a house or car without reading a contract do you?

• Ar
      2nd of Dec, 2009

ADT is ripping us off in a similar way. we bought a 13 yr old house and since there was ADT system already installed, we had it re-activated. We were never told there was any contract on re-activation for such an old system and I was not careful enough to read all the fine print. Now the system is broke and non-functional since 3 months and we have a monitoring service which includes servicing and yet they said they cannot fix it or replace it. We are being billed $42 every month (the bill rised from $38 when we first got the service) for no service what so ever and I have been trying to have them cancel our contract since past 3 months.
    Tricking someone into a contract when we didn't even buy the equipment and not informing us that the system was Sooooooo old is nothing but unfair and shame on ADT for doing this.

• Mc
      21st of Feb, 2010

I work as a salesman for a subcontractor of ADT -- I read these pages to better myself as a salesperson -- and for the laughs!

You get FREE EQUIPMENT & activation. What planet do you live on, where you think we can afford to pay for your equipment, and the installer's time (100 bucks), and we can just let you go after 2 months???

If you ask the salesperson we will be pretty up front about it. We have nothing to hide, believe me. You could read the contract too...didn't you find it odd you had to sign a contract if it was month to month?

And for everyone out there reading this: No salesperson or ADT rep will give you a 19.99 monthly term (with or without contract). This is a lie -- It never happened, this person is on crack. I don't care how long you ask, we don't offer it. 23.99 is the minimum -- but only if you are in the armed forces and you pay automatically. (+$2 for paper bill, or +$1 for CC) It's about 35.99 or so for everybody else (with the exception of AARP members who get a discount of 10%)

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but it's 6:00AM and I'm going to spend a couple hours on sunday morning here, reading this nonsense... X-D

8th of Jan, 2011

I recently called adt @ the 35 month mark to let them know I did not want to renew my contract. I was offered $19.99 and only committed to 12 months. 01-07-11

• Ir
      3rd of Jan, 2012

I did not get a free system, I was charged a LOT for it. I moved out of my home, and they will not release me from my contract, NOR will they move it to my new home! Instead, I am expected to purchase a NEW system AND sign another 3-year contract. Lousy scoundrels for sure.