Acer Notebook / cashback scam

1 New Zealand Review updated:

Cashback SCAM

I entered the following on and Acer feedback form. Who knows if they care.
But, let it be a free lesson to you :) ...

Hi, just letting you know I will be making extra effort to ensure I never purchase an Acer product again in my lifetime.
As an IT professional earning in excess of 120k, I have disappointed myself, by participating in your scheme which is self evidently a scam.
Your carefully designed process of hurdles, to provoke failure, and under staffed support with illogical instructions, have given me no desire to continue trying to retrieve my $150.
Well done, you have achieved your goal.

I hope this pays off for you in the long run, as I have a large disposable income which I spend on equipment frequently, of course no more of that will be going to you.

Comments

17th of Sep, 2008

Cashback is about to die...Yeah!
    This has become an extremely deceptive sales tactic, due to certain companies exploiting the practice, wholly for their advantage.
    The idea originally had merit, but it appears some companies (ACER in particular), are taking advantage of it by doing everything in their power to stall or deny the cashback payment to deserving customers.
    Personally, I posted my forms " Registered Mail", am still waiting for the cashback payment, hopefully it will eventually arrive.
    If not, I have lots of supporting documents to prove I have followed the "Terms & Conditions", if they choose to deny my claim.
    The bad news for the companies rorting this practice is that they are alienating many good customers, who like yourself will never buy products from them ever again.

An Aussie

• Ra
      9th of Oct, 2008

i've purchased aspire 3682 about one and half year ago. since than whenever any virus attacks it or is used for more than 2 hrs, it automatically shuts down.
    i complaint about it, they ask for changing it's mother board as it was under warraty and still the problem is same...

• Ra
      9th of Oct, 2008

since one and half year i'd purchase the aspire 3682 it is continously shutting down whenever it is attacked by virus... when i complaint it, they changed it's motherboard but the problem is same.
    on shutting down it displays a physical error.

• Pa
      14th of Oct, 2008

ACER do not honor there cash back. This is fraud. Do not buy them.

• Ve
      20th of Oct, 2008

I agree, it is fraud I too am awaiting money from them. I recieved conformation of caim being accepted but the online claim checking site tells me that nothing has been checked. i guess I will have to spend money on an std call to sit onhold for a half hour to still not recieve what I am entitled to. They rely on the fact that people have neither time nor patience to deal witht the the ### in court. DO NOT BUY ACER!!!

• Ca
      26th of Oct, 2008

The family brought an Acer laptop for my brother for his birthday. I sent the required documents registered mail. Acer are claiming they did receive the documents in time depite me having a signed and dated receipt saying they did.

I have emailed them multiple times but to no avail. I have now lodged a complaint with the ACCC.

BEWARE OF ACER CASHBACK SCHEME!!

• Gr
      23rd of Nov, 2008

Yes, i have just been screwed over by Acer. $199 cashback not paid...reason, documents recieved too late. Despite having used express post. Complaint with consumer affairs pending. November 2008.

• Na
      30th of Nov, 2008

I have been decieved too by theire scam. they say that they recieved the document too late. I sent it 2 days after purchase and there is no chance that they did not get it earlier. I will file a complaint about this.

• Si
      7th of Apr, 2009

I agree the Acer cash back scheme is a total fraud. I purchased one of their monitors April 2009 with a $39 cash back promise. But the catch is when you register the serial number the cash back scheme expired three days before the product was sold! It even expired before the item was delivered to the shop - well done Acer, you have out done even your own dodgy reputation with this one. I join the growing army who will never buy another Acer product. I think the retailers are in on this since they claim to be unaware of the problem but must know the connection between the serial numbers and each cash back offer.

Simon - Hawthorn.

• Gr
      29th of Mar, 2010

I agree the Acer cash back is a fraudulent scam as good as any that a Nigerian conman could cook up. I bought a Laptop in January 2010, registered it online the same day I bought it, got the caim number from Acer and sent all the relavent paperwork by express mail (guaranteed next day delivery) in 5 days so they would have it in plenty of time, thinking naively that this being a big, well known company and having sold their products from my own computer sales and consultancy business in the past that this would be a straight forward process (yeah right!). Now with the time limit almost up I enquired where are the $$ and was told I have to re-submit the claim number and information that they already have.

I also will never buy another Acer product and every person I ever talk to regarding computers will here of their shonky practices

Graham - Western Australia

• Ac
      28th of Nov, 2010

yes i did buy an acer from Hervey Norman and followed to the letter what acer required for cash back and they made it a folly and moved the goal posts several times asking me to input info i had already done twice and i never got any cash back it is only 9 months later but i dont expect to get it. I will "never touch Acer again in my life". I am a computer tech for the poor, whenever a neighbor/friend (and as I work near free I have many friends) asks me what to buy, I tell everyone don't buy Acer, I say my wife's Acer blew up after 2 years, my friends Acer blew up after 2 years, my neighbors Acer blew up after 2 years and when I did buy my daughter a new Acer, Acer reneged on the cash back offer. This is a fraud they use to induce buyers, thinking it is a good deal comparative to others, without the cash back, the "others" are better, and "YOU DON'T GET THE CASH BACK" so don't bother with Acer at all or ever. You have been warned "don't buy Acer expecting a cash back offer to be honored" choose another brand like Toshiba who are better by far and compare price wise considering "you wont get cash back from Acer"

28th of Dec, 2012

Cecking my acer cashback status on their website and i get this :HP Status 404 the requested resource is not available
    IT SURE LOOKS LIKE A SCAM!!!

• De
      10th of Apr, 2013

Cashback is a sham. Buyer beware. I sent all the required information by the due date. After 4 weeks I tried to contact them using their website. They simply don't get back to you. I raised a number of requests using different Acer Service Contacts but nothing. I then called and they claimed to have not received anything from me nor were they aware of my attempts to contact them. Basically they are not going to pay the cash back of $99. Absolute disgrace. I have brought 4 Acer laptops in the past two years. Never again. Ironically this is the only one which had a cashback and was by far the cheapest model.

• Cr
      20th of Jun, 2013

just got ripped off by Acer - spent 4 hours checking a match on the Acer Cashback website, went to the store, typed in the SNID to the Acer Cashback website - it dumped a page of garbage HTML so I figured it had crashed.

After buying the laptop and spending 5 days ringing and trying the website and continuing to get this garbage HTML and reporting it to their 'Helpdesk' to no response, I finally spoke to a girl at Acer who said 'that means no cashback' - WTF!?! - so beware - the garbage HTML code is Acer's way of telling you there's no cashback.

When I complained that this was misleading, the girl's cool tone and sticking to message indicated to me that she had heard this complaint a hundred times before, and this was Acer's deliberate deception by failing to provide a meaningful 'no cashback' message, just a page of garbage HTML code.

Only now I read of hundreds of complaints about Acer's cashback scam - too late for me, but not too late for you.

Acer - avoid - this is one unethical company !

11th of Jan, 2014

Also ripped of by Acer´s cashback program. Felt like they were deliberately trying to delay the payment, and making it more difficult than it needed to be. The support staff gotta be some of the most incompetent tools, I have ever been in contact with.

Never buying Acer again! Won´t recommend this brand to anyone!

And Acer products sucks anyway...