Acer Desktop / Faulty computer & poor customer service
Today, I decided that trying to get this desktop fixed by Acer is a lost cause. I've had a problem with this computer since purchasing it a year ago from Best Buy. This is my history with this product and I hope it is helpful to others. This computer was purchased on 6/29/07.
1) Within two months after purchase, the computer would power down and turn off and restart on its own. Then one day it powered down and would not come back on so I took it back to Best Buy on 8/24/07 for repair. After 15 days of purchase the computer cannot be exchanged at Best Buy so they sent it out to be fixed. The Motherboard and Power Supply were replaced.
2) After this last repair the computer began to freeze up, sounded very noisy and error messages began to appear. The computer was taken back to Best Buy on 9/15/07. Best Buy disassembled the unit and inspected it and "reloaded, restored, repaired" the software for the unit.
3) The computer then began to freeze up not too long after it came back. Sometimes it would freeze up immediately when turned on after getting to the welcome screen and other times I would be working on the computer and it would freeze up. On 11/2/07 I took the computer back to Best Buy. The hard drive was replaced.
4) A few weeks later the computer began to freeze up again and I lost internet connection. I decided to deal directly with Acer and contacted them by phone to relay this lengthy history. I sent the computer out via FedEx on my own dime because they wouldn't pay for it. They received the unit on 11/28/07. The computer came back two days later and the defective modem was replaced. Wasn't long after that I realized that the computer had the same problems. The holidays, life, work and everything else happened. I secured a laptop from work to use and pretty much gave up on it.
5) At the start of June 2008 I thought I would give it one last try before the warranty from Acer expired. The computer went out to Acer and came back on 7/3/08. The computer was turned on and immediately froze up. I contacted Acer immediately and they said that Best Buy needed to repair the hard drive and the problem was not with them. The customer service agent also said some pretty ridiculous and contradictory things.
In summary, Best Buy has less than mediocre customer service but I expected much more out of Acer. Besides the obvious of having a broken computer, there is a very long wait time to get through to customer service via telephone...in some cases 20-30 minutes. I requested to speak to a manager and the last representative I spoke to said that there are no managers available and just customer service reps available. A lot of personal time has been wasted trying to get a product working that was never really used. Imagine having to take my computer to Best Buy each time, wait in line and describe the problem over and over again. Imagine having to tell the same story to Acer, over and over again, after being on hold for a long time. Imagine the frustration of just giving up after repeatedly expecting that the unit would be repaired. I've decided to copy this complaint to any and every consumer blog that I can find. If Best Buy or Acer would like to resolve this problem they know how to find me just use your technology. Resolve at this point means a brand new computer which is nothing compared to my frustration. After I finish blogging I’ll send a letter to both companies with all of the sites in which I’ve posted my complaints.
More Acer Desktop Complaints & Reviews
- Acer / Aspire 5570z - Faulty laptop, faulty customer service! 
- Acer Aspire 9410-4933 - Cracked LCD Cover by Hinges 
- Acer Aspire One laptop - Always freezes up 
- Acer Laptop - surely the worst 
- Acer - Acer Aspire 5100 Series Notebook - I will NEVER buy another Acer product! 
- Acer - I am not able to register my laptop computer. 
- ACER South Africa - acer laptop
- Acer - Terrible service
- Acer - laptop/ charger provided was not suiting with laptop
- Acer America Corporation - Планшет Асer Aspire/P3