Acai Berry Extract / Negative Option Scam

1 127 NW 13th St. Suite 4Boca Raton, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-938-4832

This company adverstised a "free trial" for Acai Berry Supplement (pay for shipping only), which, given all the hype I decided to try.

Buried in all the fine print is a negative option, or perhaps I should say a multiple level of negative options.

When I saw what the product really was designed to do...keep your system "clean" (essentially an emetic), it went in the trash. Ok, so I found out something for $5.99.

But when my next card statement appeared, I saw a subsequent charge appear for $88.62. By the way, the same item can be purchsed from a reputable vitamin/supplement dealer for $20.

I immediately tried to contact them. That was a daunting adventure because the call went to a voice response system, then to a dead line repeatedly. On the 20th attempt (no exaggeration) I finally reached someone and cancelled the account. Sadder and wiser, I reminded myself that I really should have known better. (This was done on 12/8, a fact that they acknowledged in a subesquent call). When I checked my credit card after Christmas, I saw a subsequent charge, this time for Acai Berry Tea (this time for $94.57) that was charged on 12/24. Merry Christmas!

This time the first call was to the credit card company to dispute the charge.

The second was to the SFL Nutrition. This time I got through on the first try, only to be informed that, while I did cancel one of my accounts, the other was still active. I told them that was nonsense, and that I wouldn't agree to that. I further told them that the charge was in dispute and would not be paid.

They told me that they would reduce the charge to $62.00 (I had to pay for the shipping and handling). Of course I refused to agree. Eventually they agreed to reverse the charge in 3 to 5 business days.

All of this transpired in an Asian call center, so I had to replay all conversations several times to reach agreement.

Beware: If you get involved in these "free trials" it takes a lot to become disentangled.

Frank

Fr

Comments

• We
      22nd of Jan, 2009

I had the exact same experience with Sheer Cover makeup. To this day they have not refunded the overcharges to my card. I was charged for products that were "piggy backed" on to my original order. Because I actually had ordered the one product I couldn't contest the extra items. They would take them back if I paid the shipping. After more calls than I can remember to what sounded like an India based call center I gave up. I even wrote to Guthey Renker to protest but to no avail. I will never buy anything associated with that company again and always find what I need at a store right here in America where if I have a problem I can speak to the manager. Things are not better because Oprah or some other personality endorses it. I've learned the hard lesson.