2005/2008 Chevrolet Colorado / fire with one/leak with another

1 Punxsutawney, PA, United States Review updated:

I purchased a 2008 Colorado LT Z71 crew cab in January of 2008 after my 2005 Colorado caught fire. I had the truck in the garage 2 weeks prior to the wheel catching on fire because the computer kept coming up abs fault. They reset the computer and sent me on my way. The axle was going out and the wheel walked and overheated the grease, catching it on fire. After fighting, I decided to purchase a new one. After one year, a leak developed in the front right side. Every time the truck is parked in my driveway and it rains hard, I get water running down the passenger side, creating a large puddle on the drivers side. The carpeting is almost always wet. My dealer is 65 miles away, so I just can't run down at lunch time. After I made it down to the service department, I was referred to their body shop. I went to Kuntz's bodyman and explained the problem. He wouldn't look at the truck. He told me I had to find out where it was leaking in and if I couldn't do anything about it then maybe he would look at it. This truck is still under warranty. I have purchased 2 brand new trucks from these people in the last 4 years and it will be the last time I purchase anything from them. I would like to lodge a complaint with GM but I cannot seem to get their website to come up. Does anybody know a contact at GM to lodge a complaint about a dealer's service?

shermenater@windstream.net

Comments

• Il
      27th of Feb, 2010

I drive a 2006 Colorado CrewCab 2wd. I bought it a year ago from someone who drove frequently between Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC. However as of now it only has 48500 miles. After returning from a trip back in August2009, my stereo didn't work. It had rained really bad a few days prior to returning, and heading back home the stench of mildew was overwhelming. After months of replacing door gaskets and vaccuming out 2 gallons of water each time it rained, i finally called a window replacement place and they told me the water was coming in from the tailight on the back cab of the truck. it was a $60 fix, but no rain has leaked since. They told me this was common for this type of vehicle as i was the third fix that week, and it was only tuesday!!

Now i'm trying to sell the truck. I just got it inspected, only to spend $1100 on fuel injector replacements(be sure you aren't buying bad gas and run fuel injector cleaner about once a month)..something odd for a vehicle with less than 50, 000 miles. My mechanic informed me that AC Delco can't keep these injectors on the shelf for this type of vehicle. Wow, go GM!! Hope the bailout was worth it!!

I'm afraid i won't be able to sell this truck for at least what it's worth because of the previous leak problem causing possible electrical damage(the mat under the carpet is still damp although water no longer leaks in) and i'm also afraid there are more underlying problems. I feel your pain and hope are closer to a solution. I'm going to try and contact AC Delco about possibly getting a report on this and then moving to the big guys GM about explaining this problem. I feel if gathering enough complaints they'll at least be courteous enough to provide reparations for our troubles..if not, Ford here i come!

• El
      17th of Mar, 2014

My 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Ext. Cab was having problems starting. It appeared it was due to a bad wiring system.
    One afternoon, after attempting to start the truck and giving up, I heard the car alarm. Next thing the fire department. My truck interior was fully engulfed.

The fire department inspector said it was a fire due to the wiring harness. Of course, I had just removed full coverage a few weeks prior.

A total loss. Anyone else have this problem?