College Pro PaintersTerrible experience

The reason College pro stays in business has nothing to do with doing quality work. The reason they make money is because they are a franchise operation - they take no risks. They take the first 25% of all money the Franchise Manager generates as a royalty. If the Franchise Manager turns out to be bad, it is in his best interest to continue plugging away and being bad because he will face a $2, 000 fine if he quits or is fired, in addition to any bills College Pro charges him. Not to mention what happens to a kid who is in debt 5 or 6 grand just for sucking at his job. Oh, and the GM - the guy who manages the Franchise Managers - his biggest job is damage control.

Because College Pro makes money whether the Franchisees are good or bad, their top priority is getting kids to sign the Franchise Agreement and go sell jobs. There will always be customers who don't do their research and buy into the image that College Pro projects. College Pro is not invested in doing quality work on your home or helping you succeed in business. They are invested in a phony image and getting young, inexperienced kids to buy into it.

jjess Aug 15, 2008

We had an estimate done by college pro painters, and gave a cash deposit. No one showed up on the day scheduled day to complete or start the work. Our phone calls went unreturned for months. After filing several formal complaints within the company we did get one phone call with a "promise" to return our deposit. 4 months later we still have not received our money back and again cannot get any phone calls returned. would not recommend this company.

• Ka
    Kathy Aug 19, 2008

I'm tired of the run around from College Pro Painters who took a deposit check to paint my house on May 12, 2008. with work to begin by June 16. The job was never started and I have been calling and emailed them to get my deposit back. Today I took the next step and talked to the Consumer Division at the Attorney Generals office. [protected]). The Attorney Generals office is going to send me a complaint form.

CPP4ever Mar 08, 2009

I'm not sure why you've decided to post your ignorant opinion about college pro but it sounds like you couldn't handle the risk of running your own business or possibly even painting for a summer? This is my third year running a college pro franchise and I have doubled my business and profits each year. So I'm not sure where your going with college pro exploiting students. If you work hard you make money, if you don't your a deadbeat and should have never signed a franchise agreement to own your own business!!! Being a franchisee Owner is not a job its a business, not sure where you got confused.
    And you are way wrong about College Pro not taking risk's with who they sign on for franchises. There is an extensive interview process where only the most qualified students are given the OPPORTUNITY to run a business. If placed in a territory college pro takes a huge risk in training that franchisee and trusting them to upkeep the established college pro reputation in that area. If a Franchisee decides to do something un-ethical or sucks College Pro corporate has the opportunity to take their franchise away.

You couldn't be more wrong about your stupid comment "College Pro is not invested in doing quality work on your home or helping you succeed in business" Besides the fact that they honor a 2 year warranty in which I have personally worked on at least 5 warranty projects in my area, including jobs that actually voided the warranty. We also have the highest rating of people who refer College Pro than any other company in the industry!!! In the last 2 years of my business I have had 100% of the over 100 homes I have served circle "yes" on the contract after the job has been done and they have issued me their final payment and signature for work completed. Do your research and also realize that when you have a company that is the biggest exterior painting company in North America there may be a few bad experiences and bad apples as managers.

-Manager of the year, College Pro Painters

• Ha
    Happy College Pro Client Apr 11, 2009

I would second what this last poster said, College Pro has done our painting for years, the difference is that yes they are young entrepreneurs but College Pro offers great training and from what I have been told by the painters and Manager, great support. I cannot think of a better way for a young person to spend a summer than tackling a business, and if the initial poster had any life experience the would realize that there is nothing wrong with failure, the difference is what you do with it and College Pro teaches the right ethical values to do the right thing and take care of the client.
    If you were such a "superior painter" why wouldn't you put you energy into HELPING the manager rather than putting all your energy into negativity on the net. Humanity has enough negative people, not enough helpers. Your a wast of breath in my opinion.

• Do
    Don Ward Apr 11, 2009

I had them paint my home and the paint peeled off within the first five months I called them and they did come back and re-did the spot’s only and it looked good but it peeled and blistered more then with the first job.. The original paint was on the house for 12 years and it lasted longer than the cheap paint that the “PRO’S” used. Now my house look’s just as bad as it did even more so then as if I never had them come out I WILL NEVER HAVE THEM BACK AGAIN...

jjess Apr 13, 2009

college pro took our money & never did the job. after filing numerous complaints with college pro we still have not gotten our money back, or the work done. specifically Jeremy Homel in pittsburgh was the manager who stole our deposit. I would never even consider using them.

jjess Apr 13, 2009

never ever use college pro

• Cu
    curdywurdy Apr 13, 2009

College pro is a terrible company to work for. I worked tons of houses, and was paid minimum wage, which was six dollars and some change, to paint houses in the middle of summer. The company itself screws everyone involved over, by taking HUGE royalties. On my 4 man crew, the painters only were paid about 30% of all the money people were paying for the houses, and that's with all 4 of the pays combined.

• Wi
    Winters91984 Apr 30, 2009

I worked for college pro 4 years ago running a frachisee. I put up my own money when it came to a truck etc etc. I missed my contracted amount by a couple of thousand dollars and they took everything. I brought the contract to a lawyer afterwards and the majority of it was completely illegal. College Pro threatened to place me in collections for the amount of the ladders, soft supplies, etc when it clearly stated in the contract and their business model that your initial deposits went to paying off your initial costs including the ladders etc. They charged me for two company trips that I didn't go on as well. I still have documented proof. Their are some that clearly make money as you can see above in some of the arguments. I figured out roughly how many franchisees make money in the company, or hit their contracted amount I should say. I had a report at the end of the painting season that showed the list of frachisees and how many hit their contracted amount. 3 out of 15 hit their contracted amount under my general manager. I was number 4 and I just missed. If that number is comparable to the other general managers that means around 20 percent make it and the rest get dumped. They fill in their spots the next year. My frachisee clearly made money and they used the contract against me to take everything. I asked for something at least and all they said was read your contract. I sent all my info to the state attorney general of Connecticut. He and the state attorney general of Mass have nearly shut down the company because of so many complaints . This is the reality of college pro painting. If you noticed after around 2006 when they nearly dissapeared because of class action lawsuits against them they have tried to market themselves different to try to recapture some market share. This company is probably one of the most unethical I have ever heard of. Greed is their motivator. If you want to argue over negativity and complaining on the net, or anything else that tries to take away credibility from this company my documentation, solid evidence, might change your opinion.

• Di
    Disappointed May 13, 2009

Although we were not disappointed with the initial job--we were very upset when college pro did NOT honor their warranty. We have spots on the house, that they chock up to "weather" when one of their own painters saw it while looking at the neighbor's house and told us it was warranty work. Never again will we use them because they look for every "excuse" to get out of the warranty. And we would NEVER recommend them to any of our friends. This was our experience. Now we have to figure out how to do the repairs before more damage is done to our house.
    My recommendation: DO NOT use college pro, they are pricier and didn't follow through on their warranty.

• Ge
    george May 26, 2009

Collage pro is a slave boot camp... poor quality.. painting when the surface is wet just to ge teh job done and move on to the next victim... phsyco managers who are immature and weak minded fools only interested in money... congrats you'll all do well in corporate America where money is an obsession and quality work/products are something only your grandparents remember...that's all for now...

• Ji
    Jim & Beth Jun 01, 2009

We had our home "painted" by College Pro 3 years ago. They botched the job up so bad, we have had them back 3Xs so far, talked with 4 levels of "revolving-door" managers and supervisors. Still the paint is pealing and colors are mis-matched. NEVER will we use or recommend this bunch of miscreants again. They lack talent as well as ethics. My 2 most recent "contacts were John Mangano (the sleazy college kid) and his boss, Jason Hughes (the lying company man). Our home looks like it is suffering from post-sunburn and we are out almost $10, 000.!!! Never again.

• My
    mysisamad Jun 29, 2009

It has now been over a year since our signed contact with College Pro was done. The person doing the painting didn't start until late Fall 2008, and wasn't able to continue due to inclimate weather. He then issued another contract in November/December. This Spring, we were never contacted and never received any response to our calls and e-mails to him. We have contact College Pro directly several times over the past month - each time they can't seem to find record of the previous call. Each time we are told the same line - that they have issued a complaint and that a manager of some sort will contact us within 48 hours. Surprise! No one ever contacts us! I would appreciate any information that may be helpful in just getting our deposit money back: [protected]@sbcglobal.net.

• Sq
    Squirrelywrath2 Sep 18, 2009

There are some very very serious problems within college pro as a company. I speak in a priveliged position as someone who has worked for, filed litigation against, and then worked for college pro once more. There are most certainly crooks within the company, and i know this as I worked for one who was allowed to operate for several years, creating a great deal of negative publicity, before his business was taken away, in part due to my own taking him to the labour board.

That said, I have worked for another franchisee for the last 2 years, this year as his equipment manager, and I have nothing but respect for him, and know that both himself, our production manager, and myself demand nothing but quality work. There are problems sometimes with painters trying to cut corners to take advantage of the peicework system, but we are all constantly on everyones ###, and often put in a great deal of our time in fixing any problems with jobs that may arise.

There are reasons that paint jobs fail, sometimes they are the fault of the painters, and sometimes there are issues with the substrate that is recieving the paint job (even if the original paint job had no issues, adding another layer sometimes brings up problems that were there all along but invisible).

Ultimately there are jerks out there to take advantage of you, and people who have no business doing the jobs that they have (being complete ###s), but there are also people who take pride in their work, and do a good job even when the customer makes this very difficult. In painting, as in any other work, regardless of company, you must make yourself informed about what is getting done, know your rights, check up on the progress, and know the people you are working for, else you have nobody but yourself to blame for a bad experience.

• Fu
    FUCPP Oct 28, 2009

I am fresh out of being a franchisee for CPP for two years, I signed on before the recession actually hit, my buddy took $10, ooo back to school in the fall of 2007. Not bad. He ran 98% quality and hit his sales goal. My first year was the year encompassing the 2008 summer, I went through many CPP whirl wind weekends where we were sent through business bootcamp, sitting in a meeting room from 8 am till 8pm or later. Learned a lot, however missed a lot of information due to the lack of a 12 hour attention span. As far as experience goes I have to say that I learned everything that I wanted to in regards to running a legitimate contracting company. And yes I say a legitimate contracting company. I am a very obsessive person when it comes to quality, going into the summer I knew very little about painting, CPP taught me very little about painting, which is where many franchisees run into problems; but I spent many hours, probably days in the paint store asking questions, reading the back of products for the intended purpose and application. I know for a fact that every paint job I have overseen and done myself will last upwards of 15 years, which is above average for my region. However my dedication to my clients, neighbors, friends, aquaintences and more or less my personal reputation in my community is the only reason I did such good paint jobs. My first year after paying off my assests and variable expences I broke even. I hit my sales goal (100, 000) and had a 100% quality rating and also "brought someone up in the company" or recieved my internal rebate. Therefor CPP gave me a 5% rebate, of which I had to use to pay my sales tax. Ok... so I've done it once and should be able to take what I've learned and do it again and be more profitable. I was "sold" (like convindced by a used car salesman) by my GM and the Vice Presisdent to do it again the next year for an increased sales goal 130k and a 1% drop in royalty. Which is by no means a "good" deal. I remember that day vividly sitting over a Starbucks coffee signing my life away. Which is what I did. Due to the recession I had a hell of a time selling a quality paint job for the price I needed to to profit. I had to cut the quality of the job, ie spray vs brush and roll, or spray and back roll, or one coat vs two. Essentially every job that I sold was a budget paint job that I undersold myself on. I knew damn well that I could do a one coat color change via spray, if you stand ten feet away, but you look close, game over. But thats what I was forced to do. Given the margins that my business was structured in I was supposed to be paying laborers $9 per hour, instead I found a GOOD painter and paid him $12 per hour and I did the rest of the labor and was on the job the entire time. To be competitive in the recession I had to personally spray out all 26 homes that I painted this past summer. If I did not work for a franchised company I would be sitting fat like the rest of the painting companies out there with about $20k in the bank. However 25% went to CPP because I did not hit 130k in sales, I hit $75k and personally painted every single ###ing house to perfection. I paid my guy to be by my side and paint these houses, his labor ended up being 20% of the $75k not bad i supppose for a painter, however I needed to keep his labor below 15% to maintain a profitable margin for myself. And I needed to keep paint below 12% all said and done I was able to make it in at 18%. (this is how CPP does the "easy math for profit for franchisees). So that is 11% of profit margin blown just because I am painting the same houses for less money than I should just so I can get the work. The way it should line up in CPP's eyes is 18% Royalty, 2% Warrranty/Insurance, 3% Quality Rebate, 2% Internal rebate, (25% Fixed Cost with 5% Reabatable if you hit your sales goal), Paint should be max 15%, Labor max 33% (piecework), leaving the franchisee with a 27% contribution margin. Now the cash flow battle, 15% Deposit taken at time of landing the job, used to pay for marketing, ladders, fuel, living expenses etc in spring time, the money is virtually used before the job is even produced. That leaves 12% profit at the time of completion of the job IF you maintain the margins. Now the margins are completely different every job given that the franchisee does the estimate, maybe offers a discount, meets a competitiors price etc. A 1o% discount (merely 300 on 3000 easy math i know) and you are not profitable in a cash flow sense. Most painters, or employees complaints stem from the fact that they were told they would make $9 or $15 per hour. Well if that job was under bid or had a discount then that labor % instantly above where you need it to be and as a franchisee you have two options, pay your guys what they deserve or eat the cost yourself in your profit percentage (12%) I decided to pay my guy of whom was a good friend his hourly wage, it was not his fault I underbid a job, (I would like to blame the economy) so I maintianed his $12 all year. Year end my labor expense was 20%, should have been 15% (I painted as half of total labor), now I'm at 17% profit because I worked as half of the labor, well sure as ### the houses did not shrink when I gave the discount to be competitive and get work, paint costs were 18% should have been no more than 15%, so there went 3%, there I sit at 14% variable expenses taken into account, or $10, 500. Looks good on paper, well thats essentially the mind ### that a potential franchisse gets when they go through their information session. What they neglect to tell you about is how the overhead expenses affect all of this as well, (at least for me they didn't), taking into account that 15% deposit revenue generated and spent preseason and the varaible profit you make during production, subtract the overhead expenses of CPP ### and marketing and such I on the books profited about $7, 000. Mind you now this was my full time gig from february till october. I had to pay for rent, utilities, car payments, insurance, food, etc. That is not possible. I put in 1600+ hours, therefor my effective hourly wage was $3.99 per hour. And I have no money for sales tax and I still owe royalties on the last job and I'm broke. So all you people considering doing CPP know that you will not make that $10-$25k they are telling you about. That is really outlet profit not taking into account your overhead and living expenses, imagine making $10-$20, 000 a year and the life style you would have. That is what will happen. And CPP knows that college kids are accustomed to living substandard levels and don't really understand how hard they are getting screwed until they are done.

### EM

CPP - Thumbs Down Feb 01, 2010

As a parent of a CPP Franchisee, I am VERY disappointed. CPP promises all this support. They explained to me upfront how the understood that College comes first. The amount of time required of these kids would be minimized during the school year. Well, that's where the story goes South!!! The meetings are out of town and begin bright and early on a Saturday morning and continue until late Sunday. How do you get to the meeting and back to school??? By driving all night or missing your classes!! There are Regional Managers that are suppose to be there to assist you in setting up your business and all of the steps throughout the summer to fininishing and shutting down your business. ..to include assisting in your reports needed for taxes. Where is this manager??? I don't know. He only responds when he's being undoubtedly hounded by his boss for reports. Not to the kids under him that are trusting in him and CPP to have their best interest at heart! Taxes. . you are on your own. Excise Tax, Income Tax. . I sure hope you've got someone else watching your back, because nothing I've seen from CPP helps these kids prepare for the funds necessary to pay these taxes and the information necessary to complete the paperwork correctly. If you're reading this . . . .please think twice before agreeing to your child signing up for the CPP "experience." Experience it was. . .a VERY costly one!

CPP - Thumbs Down Feb 01, 2010

I do want to compliment the College Kids who work their butts off for little or no return (literally work for free after CPP and everyone else gets their piece of the cake). They work VERY hard and take PRIDE in their work! It's the Franchise who is profiting from these poor college kids and not thinking twice about the devasting financial burden they are putting on them!

• Na
    nalot043 Mar 13, 2010

College pro sucks and they will take all your money like they did to me. I was a franchise manager for a year and I booked around 72k while 80k was my goal. I still had time to make the goal but my GM told me to book the last 8k to get 9k check for my work at the end. I was like no ### that I didnt work 12-20 hrs a day while in college to make only 9k . So I quit right then when I could of made the goal and sold all my uncompleted jobs to different franchise managers so they could hit there goals. I was lucky to not have to pay anything for quiting but I did end up paying CPP 54k while I came home with $0. Great ###ing summer and a waste of time in college. Please spread the word. They are con-artists

• Bi
    bILL cardona Apr 27, 2010

College Pro had a complete lack of respect for my home and family. Our painting project went from bad to worse. we had to call college works to come and not only paint our home but fix what college pro had messed up on. do your research.

Marcel May 03, 2010

I WAS REFERRED TO THIS ORGANIZATION BY A COWORKER AND UNFORTUNATELY IT HAS BEEN THE EXPERIENCE FROM HELL. LUCA SALVADOR THE AREA FRANCHISEE WAS EXTREMELY RUDE, NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE BY ANY MEANS, HAS NO REGARD FOR CUSTOMERS TIME, VERY INEXPERIENCED. BASED ON HOW I WAS TREATED I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE USE THIS ORGANIZATION FOR ANYTHING. PAY A LITTLE MORE AND YOU CAN AT LEAST GET QUALIFIED PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY ENJOY WHAT THEY DO. WHAT A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME.

• Up
    Upset Mrs. H May 10, 2010

College Pro is AWFUL!!! Having them in to paint the interior of my Mother's home has been the worst experience EVER! I’ll give a short (keep in mind this isn’t even everything) rundown of what we’ve had to deal with.
    - A supposed 4 day job is going on 2 weeks now.
    - The supposed onsite manager had be absent most of the job (out getting his oil changed, etc) and even when you do try to call him he never answers his phone or says he didn’t get his message. Or, just today, he had some excuse that he couldn’t call to say he wouldn’t be working yesterday because his cell wasn’t working. Apparently his cell is the only phone of the face of the earth.
    - They have pretty much destroyed my mothers home. They have spilled more than a gallon of paint on her carpet in one spot and tracked even more throughout her home (yet to be rectified), they have torn her bed skirts moving furniture (no furniture has ever been covered), they have gotten paint on ceiling fans, and now today they have ruined her brand new $3000 ivory couch by perching a ladder against it that had blue paint on it.
    - They have outright lied about the painting (telling us there have been two coats put on walls where you can still see the original color underneath).
    - The paint job is shoddy at best (no electrical covers or light switch covers removed so covered in paint, it’s like they didn’t tape where walls met that were to be different colors so it’s crappy, they were supposed to repair a portion of wall and restipple and repair a roof and it honestly looks worse now than before).

We have tried contacting the customer service line to no avail, we try to call this little creep that's supposed to be the manager but Graham can't ever seem to answer his phone or return a voice mail. He calls to say he'll be on the job, we plan our lives around his hair brain schedule and then without a call or anything he doesn't show up. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau about all of this and should it not be rectified, I shall be refusing them payment. I have pictures of the shoddy work, I have copies of the emails that are full of lies, and if they want to sue - have at it - I have the proof that they did not up hold their side of the contract. This has caused my mother health issues and enough is enough. If I had my way, I'd kick them on their butts and they should have to pay to have actual PRO painters come in and finish this job. They are the WORST people at painting and the worst company ever! Don't go near them with a 10 foot pole! I will most certainly be spreading the word (I work in a very close related industry) and be advising all that I know that this is not only a poorly managed company, but that the customer service to this point has been no good and the painters themselves are terrible.

• I wish I'd found this comment board before my recent dealings with CollegePro. Maybe it will make me feel better to post here. Suffice it to say that I received a competitive quote from Ben Carlson, of CollegePro in St. Paul, MN. I had specifically told him that I wanted him to call me on June 6 so we could set start dates and finalize when the job would start and what the payment schedule would be. I told him that much of my income is commission and I just want to time things correctly. I also needed him to get me an estimate on materials for some fascia repair and he told me he would do that before we started. All I wanted to know were the final numbers. When I was out of town he came by and picked up a check from my wife, yes poor communication between us I admit, but I NEVER told him I would have a check for him. It all went down hill from there. After he got the check, my wife called him and asked him not to cash it. Another mistake! We should have put a stop payment on it. Then he cashed it. At this point I'm getting the sense that he doesn't do anything he says he's going to do which is sending off red flags all over the place! So now I just want my deposit back. I see him a few days later on a job and I speak to him personally and he says he'll be by that afternoon; I mean he's down the street! Again a no show. I try to call but his voicemail is always full. Still no info on addtional materials and now he's cashed a check for $731. Now I'm serioulsy concerned and pissed and he tells me that I'm in breach and won't give me my money back because he's already pulled insurance for the job of which the start date he wrote down has come and gone! After a series of texts, because he's never at the phone he tells me that he'll come by with half. Well he left "half" of the $731 in my mailbox last night which was a check for only 200$. Tell me how that math works? I've been ripped off for $531 and I will never see that money again. I work hard and I feel like Ben and CollegePro have come into my house and stolen my money, which they have. MY ONLY ADVICE TO ANYONE WHO READS THIS IS PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM COLLEGEPRO PAINTERS. THERE ARE PROFESSIONALS OUT THERE WHO CAN DO THE WORK AND THAT WILL NOT RIP YOU OFF!

• Pr
    prosperousyogi Oct 12, 2010

I hired CP to paint the exterior of my house and can report a mixed experience. Tongue in cheek, they work very well when closely supervised :)
    But close supervision, it took. First they tried to pull one on me: they actually claimed they put on two coats of oil-based paint on one day. After a good laugh, I called the manager and what choice did he have but to agree that's ludicrous! So I took a day off and literally sat down on a lawnchair supervising the guys, and then they worked very well indeed, to my full satisfaction, with occasional instructions to cover missed areas thrown in for good measure :)

• Br
    Brandon Frenette Oct 29, 2010

To the customers: I work for Collegiate Entrepreneurs, a company with a similar vision and mission, and I want to thank you for posting your comments. Feedback is appreciated and I have no doubt these stories are true. However, do realize that this is not always the case. Every company has bad employees and bosses. My advice to you is to get to know the specific manager who is doing the work on your home. Given the nature of this company, reading about past managers and their experiences is not a fair way to base your opinion of the current manager. If you do not trust the manager offering to do the work on your home, then do not hesitate to decline, but do not base your decision on what you read here. I.E - What experience he and his painters have, how well he does in school, does he seem like a genuinely honest person, how many jobs has he already done? etc. These are all questions that a sufficient manager will answer and will help you formulate an honest opinion.

To College Pro Managers: I do not work for CP so I cannot say with complete certainty, but, I do believe that your failures have much to do with you. Whereas there is not as much failure in College Entrepreneurs as you describe here, there is still some managers that do not do well. This is a wake up call for these managers. Most of them sign on board with the idea of managing their own business post graduation. If they cannot handle managing a painting business in one summer - good luck with whatever else they wanted to do. It seems like a lot of these problems come from a lack of profitability management, poor expectations setting/screening during hiring, poor management of employees with respect to goal setting/quality and lack of sales skills. Again, our companies should take responsibility is certain situations for failure, but the majority should be accepted by the managers.

- 2 year Executive manager for Collegiate Entrepreneurs. Net Profit = $40, 000 (in my bank, pure profit) and zero warranty jobs over the past 2 years.

• Fc
    fcollegepro Nov 01, 2010

I ran my own business and busted my [censor] 50-60 hours + for 8 months and now I owe 6000 dollars and they are threatening to take me to collections. Not only did I lose my old job, but now my credit is at risk because I bought into it. I'm very stressed and very disappointed in the whole program. I would advise anyone to not buy into this PYRAMID SCHEME!!! =(

• Mi
    MinnesotaDan Nov 15, 2010

College Pro is not as bad as they're made out to be in these posts. Unfortunately, there are bad managers and crews, but that's always the case when dealing with franchise operations. Nobody complains to McDonald's corporate office when some high school kid is screwing around at their local restaurant instead of working. Truth is that it's a difficult job, and if done correctly, it can be very profitable. If done poorly, it looks bad on everyone. There are literally thousands of happy franchisees, and thousands of happy customers. If you're a student, make sure you know what you're getting into before you sign up. If you're a home owner, get things in writing. College Pro has great Better Business Bureau ratings in most of their locations, check it out before you hire a crew!

Jojokayleigh Jun 04, 2011

I entered into a contract with CP in sprint of 2010 to paint in September 2010 (because I was installing new windows). Unfortunately, most of the workers went back to school and the house was actually two-toned for a while because they painted under the eaves, but could not paint below. The were not able to complete because of the weather (live in Pacific NW). In November I was getting pressure from CP Corporate to "complete the job". I insisted the weather was not right (gutters dripped on my deck and walkways when they tried to paint in cold wet weather). They wanted me to allow them to remove my front door to paint with no real solution to keep heat from escaping my house. Finally they gave up trying to get the job completed in 2010 and I never heard from them until May 2011. The person that came out in May was obviously just looking to "close the contract" and get my money. He did not even bring a ladder to paint my gutters (had to borrow mine). He attempted to paint my front door, but decided he would not charge me and just call it good. My front door is ruined. It will cost me $800 to fix it. I am very unsatisfied with CP Painters. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. It is true you get what you pay for.

• Co
    collegepropaintertoronto Jul 05, 2011

I just quit working for college pro as a painter and i can tell you I worked hard, I hated the job and I can imagine how pissed people feel after getting college pro to work on there house because as a painter it is a terrible experience. We can work our ### off and do an amazing job but if we go over budget we stop getting paid. As a painter I started off never paint before and was put to work on a house shown how to do a cut line and then sent up on the ladder to start. They do not train their painters on how to paint peoples houses or they will train one person how to paint a deck, one how to do windows, one to do railings and so on. So right there is probably the reason most of you are having problems with the paint jobs because the painters are most likely doing there best and working hard but they are only doing what they have been trained to do. As well once you stop getting paid for work, it becomes hard to want to finish the job. As well we get paid minimum wage and not even for the whole time we work. And for some reason apparently it is always the painters fault, I can personally say that there have been 2 times that i missed a spot and yes it was my fault, I got distracted stopped and never went back but it was an easy thing to fix. Although I only made two mistakes I have been yelled at punished and written up for numerous mistakes that were my managers fault or even other painters faults. The system college pro uses is if there is a mistake fire the painter and hire a new one. Which doesn't work because they always have new inexperienced painters and the reason the mistake was made is usually because the manager didn't train the painter or the manager told them the wrong thing to do. My manager showed up to a site and started rolling a persons cement deck. Turns out it wasn't suppose to be painted but he blamed the painters and eventually all of them were fired. It just shows how little they are for the people working for them. And if the managers are trained to treat the painters that way then I can only imagine that the general managers would be treating the managers pretty badly too. Painting isn't a bad job but I suggest you don't work for college pro. It will not be a good summer

• Di
    disenfranchisedfranchisee Sep 03, 2011

I was (am) a franchisee. Business risk is meant to be limited to your initial investment (through the use of corporations). College pro, using a franchise model, is able to (according to my GM) sue the franchisee personally, damage their credits, etc.. The only reason I ever signed a contract was because my GM told me (before signing) that I wouldn't owe any money if I failed to perform (as opposed to quit). Well, the $5k I lost this year disagrees. And college pro MADE 5700 from me. Starting the research on grounds for class-action. Also, in my division this year there were 3 franchisees that hit their sales goals. I don't think a single person made actual profit. For working >1k/yr, I don't care if this is a business or not: as I said, using a standard C or S corporation I would have been able to liquidate the assets of the corporation to pay back creditors and that would be it. This company preys on college students because they're 1. old enough (barely) to sign a contract, and 2. naive enough not to know to talk to someone knowledgeable (parents don't count: I mean a lawyer). With roughly 20% of the franchisees actually profitable (20% hit their sales goal on a company-wide basis, though that doesn't ensure profitability), this company stays in business purely by its franchise structure.

The other thing I love that happened to me when I was interviewing was that the GM I interviewed with went through the required disclosures of profitability on past franchisees and said "that -2k? Yeah, that's just from all the tax deductions we're allowed to take. He likely actually made about 4k profit after taxes." "10k? Oh, with all the deductions he was able to take he prolly made 20k."
    Umm... wtf? NOT TRUE! Anyone for a good class-action suit?

• Te
    tenspot Dec 02, 2011

this place is a joke DO NOT WORK FOR COLLEGE PRO. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, value your time on this earth, and cherish your hard earned dollars. working for McDonalds would be a better option than becoming a franchisee

• Wi
    windsor1 Nov 19, 2012

COLLEGE PRO IS THE BIGGEST WAISTE OF TIME- TO ANY STUDENT LOOKING TO GET INTO IT, DONT!!!

• Re
    real-talk Mar 06, 2013

You people who can't "cut it" in the real world just complain about others and feel sorry for yourselves. Thanks to College Pro Painters I was given an opportunity to run my own business, and they provided me with more than enough skills to handle the task. Unlike many of you who can't handle the responsibility it takes, I was very successful. I painted over 50 homes and had 100% homeowner recommendation. You get out of it what you put into it!!! Duh! It's just like anything. Everyone wants something for nothing and when they put in no effort and get nothing in return they make it someone else's fault. Look in the mirror! Stop making excuses, learn that it is not always "everyone else's" fault, and maybe you will make a positive change in your life. Because of College Pro Painters I am confident I can run/manage any business I want and for once in my life I am not worried about making my next rent payment. Hint: Take pride in yourself and focus on the positive, not the negative.

• Ne
    Newcollege Work Rep Sep 01, 2014

I can suggest trying www.newcollegework.com for $19.99 you can enrol in a
    course that teaches you everything you need to know about running your
    business. It takes more work because it's self directed, but no one is
    Making commission off of you. Running your own business is still a great way to make money, but don't let a bad experience get you down. Some of the most successful people in the world started off with a lot of failures. Take our course and learn how run a landscaping business. It's a lot of the same training you'll find elsewhere but we won't make you pay huge commissions off of your work.

Check us out at www.newcollegework.com it's $19.99

- Newcollege Work rep

Cheryl Pine Teleios Oct 21, 2015

College "pro" are rude children NOT professional at all.
    I contracted in June for my trim to be painted.I was told it would be done no later than the first week of August.

The College Pro crew finally showed up the last week of August. I was apparently the last job of the summer. Their brushes were completely useless and stiff as a board. I did a lot of painting while in college myself as a summer worker for an oil company so i know what is good work and what is not.

The College Pro crew did not even bring the tools to do the prep work that was contracted. They painted over peeling paint, broke the clips off my storm windows, smeared paint on my pickup truck, left paint on the glass of all the windows, painted over mud, etc. When i pointed out the problems, I was told that school starts tomorrow so that is all you get; pay now. I have been wrestling with them ever since.

The upper supervisor (Jeremiah Noblitt) said they would make it right but i have not heard from him again since. The rude "child" (Heath Norton) who was supposed to be supervising this particular job waited till the weather turned (rain, wind, and COLD) to demand that I now rearrange my life and vacate so they can repair the work at their convenience. The job was not a large one so i simply asked for a refund so i can get a real pro to do the job. It has been a major hassle dealing with these increasingly rude kids and i regret ever contracting with them.

They expect payment for "professional work" but, in the words of my neighbors, it looks like a 5th grader did it.Their work is terrible and they are shameless!

• Lu
    Lulu Pengelly Aug 24, 2018

I applied to work for this company, without checking and knowing (until now) what people thought of College Pro. I'll ask in a moment but first, I'd obviously like to know people opinions; Is it even a good idea to work for College Pro Painters - Door to Door marketing?

In advance, thanks for your support and will take under advisement before acting.