Chrysler Financialrude and harrassing over a end of lease fee

C

I leased a Chrysler 300C and made all my payments on time for 39 months. When the end of lease was close, I received a call from Chrysler Financial asking if I would be leasing another vehicle, buying this vehicle or turning in the leased car. I explained that we would be turning in the lease so I needed to know what I had to do. I also asked at that time what the mileage limit was since I was sure I was under the milegae limit. When I was supplied with that information and the inspection companies number I then asked if there what I would need to do to complete the turn-in process and were there any additional fees. I was told I would have to pay any damage fees but that was it.
I called the inspection company and set a date for them to come to my house and inspect the car. The car had slight damage to the back bumper and was told there would be a fee of $290 for this damage. Outside of that the car was in excellent condition, as I also had replace 4 tires only 9 months earlier. The technician said all we had to do was turn the car back into the dealership and we would be billed for the damages.

Now the fun started... I called the Old Saybrook CT dealership a few days later (an week before the car was to be turned in). When I told the receptionist what I needed to do, she advised me I needed to talk to the leasing manager but he was not available until the next day. I called at 9:00 am the next day (Saturday) and was put through to the leasing manager who asked if I would be leasing another car. When I said no he became rather rude, saying he was too busy with other customers to handle a lease turn-in. My husband then got the phone and told him we would be dropping the car off as we were told that was all we needed to do. When we got to the dealership there was not a car in sight, nor a customer on the lot or in the showroom. A gentlemen met us at the door and once we related why we were there went off to an office and came back saying he would help us but that he never handled a lease turn-in before. After taking down the mileage we asked if there was anything else he needed and he said no but I asked about the plates on the car -- would they turn those in since in CT we are charged property tax based on your registration and term of use of the vehicle. Another man came out of the office and said we should turn in our own plates. I assumed they would take the plates off the car, but instead they handed my husband a screwdriver. My husband went out and took the plates off and we left. The following Tuesday I went to the DMV and turned in the plates.

Two weeks later I received a letter from Chrysler Financial that I had not turned the car in and would be subject to an additional payment. I immediately called them and told the woman I spoke with that the car had been turned in and I had already turned in the plates. I even related the above story to her. She called the dealership while I was on the phone and was told that "they forgot to call".

Two weeks after that I received a bill for $740 plus tax from Chrysler Financial. When I called to inquire what this was about I was told that I had to pay a turn in fee (since I did not lease another car) as well as the damage fee. I explained to this woman that I would pay the damage fee but that was all, especially since I had paid them over $27, 000 in lease payments plus a down payment plus gave them a car under the mileage and in excellent condition, nothing to say about the way I had been treated. She offered me $50 off the turn in fee and I told her I would give her $150 but that was it-- no one told me about the turn in fee when I asked and also in the letter they sent about fees on any damages there was never anything about a turn -in fee. She then offered me a $100 off but I felt the dealership should pay it since they were keeping the car. I mean come on, It's not like they won't recoup $450.
I did pay the damage fees (over the phone) and told her to make sure she had noteson all the proceedings that occurred up to this point.

A few weeks after that the "threatening" calls started. I was called at home and left messages that if I did not call back I would be turned over to a colection agency. Then they started calling me at work (which is illegal) but I answered the call (not knowing it was them) and spoke to a rep that listened but said I had to pay the fee. I again reiterated my story and asked that he mark down our conversation -- I again offered to pay $150 which was turned down.

Now today I received a call at work (that went to voicemail) and I called back hoping they would work this out. Instead a man named RJ (funny how they never give you their last names) proceeded to tell me I owed this money or a collection agency would be calling me next. I asked what notes he had on my account and surprise -- there were none. I proceeded to relate the story once again but to no avail. He basically said pay or my credit rating would be in the toilet. I again offered $150 - he said no. He was so utterly rude telling me I was irrational and that maybe he was better off talking to my husband (the nerve!) that I finally ended the call telling him I wasn't paying a dime.

My next step is to write the president of Chrysler and Chrysler Financial. We have leased cars over the last 20 years with Acura, Ford and Mitsubishi and NEVER were we treated this way or told we had to pay a turn in fee.

Here's a lesson-- DON'T BUY A CHRYSLER or DEAL WITH CHRYSLER FINANCIAL. It's no wonder Daimler AG sold them off and they are in financial ruin.

• Le
    LeeLaLa Jan 19, 2011

Same situation here. Chrysler is a bunch of crooks. They took our taxpayer money for a bailout and then charge you a ridiculous disposition fee at the end of the lease. DO NOT EVER BUY A CAR FROM THEM! Buy a Ford. I've leased vehicles from them and have never been charged a fee even when I didn't buy another vehicle from them. I never should have left them in the first place.

• Ha
    Havehear Jan 13, 2011

I did finally figure out why the man was so rude when I told him to email me the bill and that NO I would not be calling him back and NO I wouldn't take care of it over the phone. He works on commission! Of course he does not want me taking care of this with anyone else if I ever figure it out! They would get the commission! As I said, smarmy!

• Ha
    Havehear Jan 13, 2011

Turned in a leased chrysler vehicle in 2008. Bought a new car at same dealership. Both leased and new car financed through Chrysler Financial. On buying the car walked in with a pre-approved loan. Chrysler Financial decreased the % to stay with them, so we did. This was a completed lease, with no late payments, way under the allowed amount of mileage, thousands of miles under. There was no damage what-so-ever to car, no accidents, no tickets, no nothing. Was told at time that no $ owed on lease and 'very pleased to finance a new car for us'. That was almost 3 years ago. Today I get a call about being 77 days late on a bill of close to $300 for the leased car I haven't had since 2008! I have never seen this 'bill', which I guess would have arrived 2 1/2 years after the end of lease from what I could gather. Just short of calling me a liar, the man from Chrsyler Financial gave me the date sent along with the follow-up I supposedly received and told me he was doing me a favor by calling so that this didn't go to an outside collection and let's arrange to pay it right now. I refused. Loudly. He told me I would have to deal with the dealership if a mistake had been made because they were completely separate for at least 2 years now. Hello...this is almost 3 years old! I am angry about this and let him know it. He offered to email me a copy of the bill, which he has not done, but 'let's take care of it now' and then he smoothly added words like collections, credit scores and attorney. Really? Oh, and he asked for my email address. Again, hello? You email me monthly with my statement because I HAVE A CAR LOAN WITH YOU! He ended the call with 'Have a blessed day.' What? Who are you? That sounded pretty shallow and I could only answer 'oh barf!' All I can say is Wow...what smarmy creatures do they have making these calls? And to the ridiculous posters acting like anyone complaining is unemployed, uneducated and doesn't pay their bills...quit judging. We are highly educated, both have great jobs, own our home and pay our bills on time all of the time WHEN WE KNOW ABOUT THEM! How dare this company call me after almost 3 years and tell me they're 'doing me a favor' regarding a bill they've yet to produce. We have bought our last car from them and certainly will not finance with Chrysler Financial again!

• Ej
    EJT Dec 16, 2010

These people are the worst! I will never buy another Chrysler product again. We decided not to buy another Chrysler and when the lease was up we called after receiving the paperwork. We were told to take it to any dealer and turn it in. Called the closest dealer and was told they won't take it if we don't buy another Chrysler - they have no room. Called the next closest dealer per their website - that was closed. Called the original dealer where we bought the car - they don't sell Chrysler anymore. Called Chrysler and was told basically to keep trying. After several days of this I called them and told them to pick the car up. They said they cannot do that and I have to take it in. Since we are supposed to pay some sort of turn in fee I said what if I don't pay it - they said they would then repo the car. I said OK I am not paying it come and get it. They said they can't do it that way I have to take the car back to any dealer that would agree to take it. I asked when they were coming and she says they would repo the car if I don't pay. I told her again I am OK with the Repo come and get it. She says that's not how it works but if you don't pay we will repo the car. After several times agreeing to let her come repo it she said she couldn't help me and would have no way of knowing when they would come and get it. It's been sitting in the driveway now for two weeks and we're getting 7 to 10 calls a day from spoof numbers that are Chrysler Financial - each time we get some nitwit who says they need us to pay and then turn it in - but can't give us any idea on who or where to take it. What a bunch of idiots these people are!!!

• Ll
    llgraves Jun 28, 2010

like you, we never had any problems with our lease. in fact, 2 years ago we converted it to a loan through our credit union and got out of the lease - keeping the jeep... now 2 years later, we get a bill because they "forgot" to bill us our personal property tax 2 years ago.

we refused to pay - when we paid off our lease, we were released from ALL further obligation. I will not pay them 2 years later on a now defunct lease. Needless to say, they did not waste any time in sending our account to collections.

• Sh
    ship Jun 26, 2010

So what was the outcome here?? I am so nervous after reading several complaints like this because I will be turning in my lease next month . . .

• Ea
    Earld May 18, 2010

Im dealing with almost the same problem right now and I refuse to pay Chry. another dime.